Conflux 2 - short review & couple of questions

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Pedro
Journeyman

Conflux 2 - short review & couple of questions

Post by Pedro »

Hello,

A few weeks ago I was searching in the net for some nice DM-like games. It's happened that I found Zyx's Conflux2 custom dungeon, so I eagerly took up the gauntlet and plunged into the dark and unfriendly cellars. I must say, without exageration, that it is one of the best games of this sort (that means "classical dungeons" like DM, EOB, Black Crypt, and so on) I played ever (including various commercial projects). The game itself is stuffed with many interesting, often innovative ideas, and what more, it has very playable story with multi-endings. I never imagine that the old Atari CSB enigne (I've read that CSBWin is direct translation of original Atari code) is enable to offer so many featutes like talking heroes, for example.
I still remember my long-lasting exploration of original DM on Atari ST many years ago. I played it without any instruction, any faq or hint. I must have learned how to survive, fight and develop characters. Those elements of "self-learning" made this game incredibly absorbing for the young boy I was then. But also mysterious atmosphere, which was unreachable in the other games of that time and severe, almost claustrophobic graphic of the narrow dungeons made DM a great hit. That's why I wanted to play DM-like game again. Fortunately I found Conflux 2, which offers all classical features and add some new extensions. The author took a great care of details creating his dungeon.

Thanks for great piece of work, Zyx!

So, I have been playing Conflux2 for a few weeks and I'm still not bored with that game. It's very time-consuming (oh, my job! ;) and I think, it is high time to me to accomplish all the quests and ultimately finish the challenge. But it is not too easy, I would say, it's quite hard. Until now I managed to recover Crown of the Kings, to free the prisoner, and do most of the minor quests. Currently I am stuck in the two points, and need a bit of hint to progress my efforts. :) So I have a couple of questions:

1. The future teleport - It's written that I cannot enter until I learn the wisdom of monastery's paths. I wander around and try to learn something, but I have no idea what to do yet. I went through one of the paths and found a scroll with text: "you have learned our wisdom", but the teleport door is still closed. I also went through the test with plasmas.
2. I am out of ideas how to open the sparkling door and enter to the Counil to destroy it. I won prize 99 and passed the innocence test. I also found the place with backdoors. I know what the audience really is. (oh, I got a new idea - I'll have to check the pits on the floor above :)
3. I also explored some the lower parts of the dungeon. In one place I faced with some really bloody demon. I was struggling bravely but then, after long battle, I must have fled.*
Is that demon immortal?
* Note to the author: When I came into that place the second time (I mean from the corridor with letters a,b,c,...) I met legions of yellow ants. Was it planned or some trigger works incorrectly?

Greetings to all
Pedro
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

there was an item with the 'you have learned our wisdom' - that is what you need to use to demonstrate you know it

your new idea could be the right idea : )

and if you have seen a certain film or read a certain book, you should know why you suddenly get swarmed, and how to defeat a certain 'nameless horror' that seems immortal
for fun, when you trigger that event, have the sound turned up
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Beowuuf said it all! :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oops, sorry!

and hmm, conflux IIk - sounds like a new bug that could render many people unable to work at their computers : )
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

"there was an item with the 'you have learned our wisdom' - that is what you need to use to demonstrate you know it"

I took this item earlier (long before I started solving the path quests) and forgot what it was. I had to create "acsi dump" of a new game to retrieve necessary info. So, now is ok, but without your hint I would probably never complete that quest. I hope that in the room with skeletons no any extra item is needed I forgot too :) I have not solved the quest yet, that means I replaced bones with ordinary ones and resurrected them in the alcove, but nothing happened. ;(
I feel I must take several-days break from that game. :)

"your new idea could be the right idea : )"

Still searching for ... By the way, I have just solved the masochistic quest with "I'm still hungry". It was really funny. :)

"... when you trigger that event, have the sound turned up"

Ok, I'll keep it in my mind when I go there again.

Greetings and thanks for hints
Pedro
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Hello

My last efforts in Conflux2 has brought some progression. Ultimately I found the way to the Council and showed them a fireworks performance. So, now I have completed all the main quests and most secondary ones. I have still been searching for Fiery Cerberus, two pieces of Dragon Armour (I assume that the whole collection counts 5 items) and probably for the precious (I actually don't remember if I found it earlier).

Currently I stand up before a door leading to the Emerald Forest. I think I have a problem, because I can't open this door despite my rich collection of keys. I suppose I need some sapphire key here? I have one but it doesn't open this door. Is it next trick I must overcome or perhaps some bug (I hope not)?

Regards
Pedro
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Yes, the dragon armour includes a shield, so it's 5 items.

You came from the Emerald level and you're going to the Emerald Forest. Guess which key you need?
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Zyx wrote: You came from the Emerald level and you're going to the Emerald Forest. Guess which key you need?
Ouch, only not *this* key. I've already ran them out. :) Fortunately the ascii oracle told me there is last one left in temple. I rushed there but this area is inaccessible to me (that means I can't open door next to script "remember ashes to ashes"). Tomorrow I'll try to get there in from cellars :)
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Pedro, a fellow from my country :D Polska rządzi :twisted: Good luck in your searching :)
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

iUSTINE wrote:Pedro, a fellow from my country :D Polska rządzi :twisted: Good luck in your searching :)
Witaj iUstine :)

How long did it take you to complete all quests in Conflux2?

Pozdrawiam
Pedro
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Hi,

about 1 month, with some small clues about 2 or 3 quests. Well, it was a great month and great gaming pleasure. Don't try to finish it too soon, because you will lost this pleasure :)
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Finally I managed to get in to the place with funny violet creatures and collected desired key. So, I strode down to the Emerald Forest gate and, with great pleasure, opened it. And then happened something terrible ... ;) after that gate was another one, and another *this* key needed. I looked into ascii oracle again and the answer was devastated - no other *these* keys in the entire dungeon left. So, I think I'm now really trapped. No more keys, no more progression. But maybe there is some exit (except restarting game)?

Regards
Pedro
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Stop using the ASCII oracle, it's cheating and spoils all the fun of finding out for yourself!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You just don't do the emerald forest this time round!

Keep a few keys the next time you play it. The fun of conflux is you can always replay and try other routes with other characters
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Well, indeed you need to open your way to EF to finish one of the quest. I remember that I didn't have a problem with emeralds keys, there were enough of these in different parts od Dungeon. Search the samll holes in the walls, especially in the sewers.
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

beowuuf wrote:You just don't do the emerald forest this time round!

Keep a few keys the next time you play it. The fun of conflux is you can always replay and try other routes with other characters
Sure, however I think it should be as many accessible keys as locks to open in the game, shouldn't?. Take into consideration that certain group of players won't be very happy to replay the same game again. They should have possibility to accomplish entire adventure during the one course.
iUSTINE wrote:Well, indeed you need to open your way to EF to finish one of the quest. I remember that I didn't have a problem with emeralds keys, there were enough of these in different parts od Dungeon. Search the samll holes in the walls, especially in the sewers.
I used all keys to open various shortcuts, fountain with energic water, the way leading to the Council and so on. Actually I had unlocked all emerald locks (except one in place where you fall at the end of the monastery paths) before I got to the Emerald Forest downstairs. I have read some older topics and I know you had similar problem with another key. So, you can understand me now. :)
I wonder if Zyx planned that EF doors to be opened by ek from the beginning. In whole dungeon we open diffrent locks with suitable keys (golden locks with golden keys, etc.) and here, unlike, we have sapphire locks opened by ek. He could do it intentionally to deceive players of course. :)

Regards
Pedro
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

At first I planned to put less emerald keys than emerald locks, so you have to manage wisely which locks you want to open. But this is not fair for the first time player (who won't be playing again). So with the successive updates I've been adding more emerald keys. The version you're playing only lacks one. Next version won't.

>He could do it intentionally to deceive players of course.
Me? Oh my, this is a calumny!

The emmy forest is meant to be hard to reach, unless you have the propre team. What's more, if you ever reach it, you'll regret it...

There is a way if you have no more keys. But this would be a major spoiler. Let me know if you want it or if you'll restart another game.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I like that in conflux there is are also character dependant quests, so you can't do the whole game in one sitting no matter how many keys, etc you have...
For many people who are veterans it is nice to have areas and endings that you can't just bomb your way to, or can discover later. Plus of course the longer you play the game, the more you can strid around liek some giant and smash anythign you want...so nice to have a reason to be humbled again (what IS that door leading too...emerald forest? sweet, thsi was worth the replay) sort of idea...
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Zyx wrote:At first I planned to put less emerald keys than emerald locks, so you have to manage wisely which locks you want to open. But this is not fair for the first time player (who won't be playing again).
I think it would be ok if you added in the game some hint (script, scroll or whatever) about that.
Zyx wrote: >He could do it intentionally to deceive players of course.
Me? Oh my, this is a calumny!
Zyx, don't be so serious about that, please. I was joking. Doesn't it sound like that in English? I just wanted to write that you probably did a trick to confuse people who are familiar with key & lock pairs. I really meant nothing negative about that.
Zyx wrote: The emmy forest is meant to be hard to reach, unless you have the propre team. What's more, if you ever reach it, you'll regret it...
Sounds encouragingly. Will I regret even with 3rd master fighters and 4th master wizards? :)
Zyx wrote: There is a way if you have no more keys. But this would be a major spoiler. Let me know if you want it or if you'll restart another game.
Presumably I'll restart when you release k version. So, don't reveal any game's secrets! :)

Post by Guest »

beowuuf wrote: (what IS that door leading too...emerald forest? sweet, thsi was worth the replay) sort of idea...
hmm, I think I see your clue.
I wasn't able to open some doors in the labirynths below The High Sentinel and, to tell the truth, I have no idea what to do yet in that section (I carefully checked various decorations, pits, etc.) Who knows, maybe one of these doors lead to the EF? :) Let me not to know, I like secrets :)

You also mentioned about character dependant quests. Are that quests connected with character type (ninja, wizard, etc.) or rather with particular heroes?

Regards
Pedro
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

most characters just add flavours, but there are a few very important characters (cough guild heads) that have their own story that needs to be fulfilled, so you can access some of the different endings for them mentioned
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

>I think it would be ok if you added in the >game some hint (script, scroll or whatever) >about that.
Good idea. I will.

Don't worry about your insinuations about my... not straightforward mind. I was ironic. In fact, everybody knows me for being, err, twisted. Which is completely undeserved, of course. Some day I'll sue you all. Or I'll make a dungeon against the players. They'll suffer, they'll cry and they'll beg perdon and mercy. This is happening already? Oh my, more calumnies!

>>if you ever reach it, you'll regret it...
>Sounds encouragingly. Will I regret even with 3rd master fighters and 4th master wizards?
Then you have a chance... But I think you'll bless the day that I finally decided not to forbid saving in this part.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

conflux III - first psychiatric appointment free at 'wuufies house of crazies'
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh my, and to think Conflux 2 sent me completely barking mental for several weeks, a version three is sure to... whaddya mean there’s no ice? You mean I have to drink this coffee hot?! *scratch* *gibber*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

bleeding kippers! *twitch* bleeping kippers everywhere *twitch gbber twitch*
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Zyx wrote:Or I'll make a dungeon against the players. They'll suffer, they'll cry and they'll beg perdon and mercy. This is happening already? Oh my, more calumnies!
Maybe *Mission Impassable* (but in theory possible) is what they are just dreaming about. :)
Zyx wrote:Then you have a chance... But I think you'll bless the day that I finally decided not to forbid saving in this part.
We will see (or not). Incidenally, Is it somehow possible to limit save option? I mean something like paying for every next save. I'd like to add that feature to my future dungeon.
beowuuf wrote:most characters just add flavours, but there are a few very important characters (cough guild heads) that have their own story that needs to be fulfilled, so you can access some of the different endings for them mentioned
Interesting. I wondered where that 4 extra endings mentioned in dungeon.txt was hidden. I'd like to know if accomplishment such subquests as dragon armour & fiery cerberus is independent of that extra stories?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

sub-quests - they are independant of the main ones, but those quests are deliberately hard to accomplish, so you will probably find you are likely to get them through replay when you least expect to more than trying to hammer on with an otherwise finished game just got that sub-quest
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Yes, it's possible to enable or disable the save option with a DSA (a multipurpose programmable device created by Paul Stevens).

DSA are the first initials of "Designer, Surrender All your real life".
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Paul has put in a lot or hard work and effort into CSB...I'm sure he just wants other people to suffer for the art too : ) In a good very functional way : )
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

There is a way if you have no more keys. But this would be a major spoiler. Let me know if you want it or if you'll restart another game.
Go on then. I've gone down the stairs and used the keys but this other way in would be interesting to know...