Towers of Chaos V3.0 - The Fortress

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Towers of Chaos V3.0 - The Fortress

Post by PaulH »

I have updated the dungeon 'Towers of Chaos' (now V3.0) and given it the suffix 'The Fortress'...
It is available from dianneandpaul.net where the zip package has been updated with the new files inc new graphics.dat.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The zip package with the latest version of csbwin (98v8) is available from the following link:

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Gam ... ption.html

Similar to the last release, but with a few minor quibbles tidied up, more food in the earlier stages and slightly easier monsters.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi paul
just started again TOC (at work of course ;)), i know that i must go to the north forest (i already used my skeleton key at the tower entrance, i have a solid key and a square key and didn't find another way) : how should i open this @#!$%$%^ door ??? i play with resurrected hawk and chani, they are actually not very powerful (only journeyman fighters) and none of them can hack the door :(
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Paul, is this dungeon balanced for DM rules or CSB rules ? Thanks !
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Ah. That sodding door. When I made the game originally for DMPC using DMute, that door died with a Lo fireball. When converted to CSBWin, it needs a slightly more powerful one, for some reason. If you have a Ful bomb, throw that at the door, else it needs to be fireballed.

DM rules, Florent!
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Thanks Paul !

I'll start playing in a few days, once my brand new computer is ready (still in the box, missing a screen, keyboard and mouse :)).
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yeah, having a screen tends to make a big difference... lol!

PS: Linflas, I just loaded TOC and blew a wooden doorwith only a lo power fireball afterall, so you should have no problems.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

oh i see, but i also tried a lo ful ir on and it didn't get hacked. don't remember which version of csbwin i use, need to look at it on my pc at work tomorrow..
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

If you use the one that came in the ZIP file, it should be fine!

CSBWin has many changes, some versions work slightly differently, some bugged, (sorry Paul!) so it is important to use the recommended one.

A journeyman wizard can usually cast a 3rd power fireball, and I would be suprised if you weren't at least a journeyman when this door is the only way left for you to go.

Enjoy your day at work!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you know what ? just arrived at work and my csbwin version comes exactly from the zip file. and nope, you're wrong about my wizard skills : chani is apprentice and hawk is not a neophyte yet. in fact, i never train my characters (just don't like it as i said in another thread), i gain up some levels while exploring dungeons, so i've casted (is it right in present perfect?) only some lo ful spells for light in TOC.
but throwing a ful bomb made the door hacked, yeepee !
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

"so i've casted (is it right in present perfect?)"

Don't ask me, I'm English... Cast sounds better!

Good work!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

again blocked in TOC... i've entered the blue tower, passed the 4 slime devils + doors puzzle, killed a vexirk and a water elemental, there are two doors and a crack button which doesn't seem to open one of them... one of the door have a (square ?) lock : i don't have any key working with it... :(
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Throw something through the door... I put a rock and an arrow in front of it LOL! What should I do, put a scroll there too hehehe!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hem... i already did that...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Erm... it opens the other door. The pad is 6 squares behind the portcullis. You may have struck a monster with what you threw.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

understood... 6 squares... hawk is apprentice ninja, chani is journeyman... i need to train a bit...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

More of a strength issue I think. I have never failed to reach the pad! You could thump them poison slimes to death
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

try the 'throw' option? i'm not sure if you get extra oomph for using it?
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Just use a few Ku potions. And make sure no monsters are in the way by casting a few poison clouds.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks guys : "throw" won the match :)
running after gigglers who stole my VI potions, fighting against flying axes (:shock: ??!?!?!), a fake wall area (bump bump and bump)... well this blue tower is really fun ! :D
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

(i love bumping up old threads ;) )

i guess i'm very close to the end : "prepare to meet your doom" is the most terrific arena i've ever seen : poison + ice + storm + skulls + dragon + lord order (invincible?!) AND lord chaos + invisible pits + golems + demons !
honestly, i couldn't imagine something like this for my own custom dungeons ! Paul, you are reincarnated evil :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yup, you are close to the end, and yup, that part is brilliant - just like the rest of the dungeon. Long live Paul!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i just entered the area beyond the ra door : now i must survive between Mon fireballs shooters + chaos + order !... i must kill this stupid prisoned dragon !!!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

He's not stupid! Well he is... abit.

Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

absolute w00tness ! i made it !

this dungeon was really really cool, special *w00t* for the very clever puzzles.
i have only one reproach : too many fast regenerating monsters i.e. boring places like the room before the "meet you doom" area with demons+knights+"winged zytazes", or the area downstairs after the "infinity" puzzle with scorpions+water elementals, and i killed approximately 20 or 30 rusters into the first floor of the tower !!!

*applause*
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Glad you finished it! I cut down the monster generators a little from V2.0, always a diffiicult area to judge. Obviously I knew where the triggers are...

Thanks for playing!