*POTENTIAL CONFLUX II SPOILERS*- Malificent Guild discussion

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

*POTENTIAL CONFLUX II SPOILERS*- Malificent Guild discussion

Post by beowuuf »

So, anyone who has tried out playing with this guild, or trying just now and ripping their hair out, have any info to share?

Since the guild is supposed to be a completely insane challenge and really needs good knowledge of the dungeon, then probably anyone just playing Conflux through normally or wanting a fun challenge shouldn't read this post : )
Last edited by beowuuf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

To kick off, here are my findings and what I do so far:

Firstly, you know who they are, right? If not, try stepping into the fire elemental at the start of the dungeon while you are still the sorcerer - instant kill, and there's the guild. You need all four to get the full set of items to complete their ending (unlike previous versions of Conflux II where you could do it with a fourth normal character)

The stats are insanely low (don't walk into walls), so you may as well reincarnate to get a few extra points of skill.

VI altars are programmed to reduce health each use to a minimum of 25. So you can get an instant health boost by using one. I make this my first task, though it is annoying so I can see people not bothering. But 24 health is 24 health, very useful! I go down to the storage area, and go to the closed off room with the pit and rope. I open the way to the cellar by pressing the closest fountain. This releases a rat, which of course is a harder kill though...
Personally I fight by using thrown objects, so gettign as much 'ammo' as possible from screamers helps. I cycle my characters to make sure they gain ninja experience evenly, but mostly in the hope none will gain a level yet, wasting that prescious health gain. After that you could either try for the cross key (you need to watch what item you use to throw across the pit, since your strength is so terrible - I believe the key is the best item but then that's a risk), or solve the way to the 'more supplies for the strong'. Getting the cross key to open the way to the temple gives you a torch too, which will probably be useful by then! Any charatcers that haven't died will die with a wuick headbutt to the wall, ressurect them one at a time for a ncie health boost. There you go, you can now mis-step or even survive a blow from a critter!

The bone doll is great because praying with it gives you priest levels. I go down to the sewer stairs down from the storage area and pray (I know I usually hate trainign, but it seems mandatory almost for this!). Gaining a level to apprentice is very quick (a few prays,best to sleep aroudn the recharge time) and journeyman isn't much further off. More health and now some mana. Light spells are the order of the day now, thoguh i start walking around and catsting them in the course of the normal game - I hate training!
Also a thing to watch is hitting that magic 40 mana - you will start finding your stamina takign a huge hit as you recover mana at double normal rates, and it isn't going to be in surplus to start with,. Ease off on casting if you near this level until you have abundant food or a flask for stamina potions

Food is evilly scarce, especially for the guild that has a harder time killing anything. I tend to ignore it to start with, even though it halves stamina, and just make sure water is topped up (this is vital or you will die). I get al lthe food I can from the cellar, and when I am brave enough the rats later, but best to store it for a feast rather than keep eating it just to lose it's benefit. Initial fights always lead to sleeping off wounds, so you can consume everythign very quickly if you don't just let it go.

Initial combat wit the guild is weird but flexible. Their insanely low strength means melee weapons are all but useless, you can do jsut as much damage with the fist. Also, the strength means you mus wach you inventory carefully, always swap around items to higher stamina charatcers, and don;t carry too much - enough items to use as throwing weapons if needed but not too much. I have torches or sticks in all the hands as weapons, heavier stuff isn't worth it really. Thoguh I will throw and punch in harder fights, you gain so much more health from fighter levels, so i nthe cases of gigglers and screamers sometimes it's good to take swings and take damage just to gain those 20odd health jumps. Also, since the guild has no armour/weapon differences, always cycle them around in a fight to evenly distribute experience gain and damage taken.

Once you've gained a few levels and have enough health, you can get all the food you want by going to the iron grate that seperates the main cellar area from the starting wine racks, and pressing the button to open it. The iron key for opening this door from the other side can instead be used in the storage area, on one of the doors. That has a chest behind it with an iron and gold key. Going down to the cellar and turning right will lead to a gold key needing door, that leads to the dwarven fortress - across the way in the fortress use the iron key to get access to the council canteen. Trainers can have a field day in this deeper level, and also you cna get all the food you could want! Watch out for vexirks though.

Anyway, final thoughs for the starting guild - the guild is cursed, and there are identifiable traps for them. Watch out! And try to recover and save all the snapdragons you can find - these are the friends of the guild for special occasions!

Anyway, that's it for now - anyone have an alternate playing style, or questions, or suggestions, etc? It's an insane challenge!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

That was a very good read, thanks Beo :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I played a game with the buggers back in version 0.h -- and although I had lots of restarts and got quite frustrated, in the end it was a satisfying game.

There were lots of cool little bits specific for them -- the traps were especially nasty. The singing bone doll was a nice touch, and the 'stairway to heaven' was very clever.

There's probably some differences in later versions, so It'll be good to find these out eventually. I didn't know the snapdragons had a purpose though -- any hints?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, not a specific purpose, they just have an effect in the newest version that will benefit them alot
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Thanks for the 'spoiler'. To my way of thinking, this
is exactly how ConfluxII ought to be played. Everyone
shares their discoveries and favorite tactics. There is enough
in this game to survive a team effort. There is probably
enough in this game to support an entire forum!!!! I bet that
new discoveries will be reported for years.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, I still think there are some things that are so much better for the challenge of it, such as not knowing spells or certain tricks - you can't get back that initial thrill, and some of the funnest and annoying moments were still having the first VI potion and fireball go 'futt' or figuring out a sneaky way to do something. But I also agree for the veteran there is alot to discover and realise too
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Oh, dear. A difference of opinion. Fight! Fight!

There are at least a couple people who, like me,
find it too difficult for a single person to attack.
Perhaps we need something like a password-protected
forum or, simply, enciphered text files. Those who want
to avoid any spoilers need not ask for the key. But even
they could somehow submit hints, spoilers, and
walkthroughs for the benefit of us who are a bit more
in need of help.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, personally I'd just put a huge *SPOILER* warning on the post ; )

Eh, up to Zyx I guess!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

---> beowuuf:

May I put your spoiler in my password-protected directory
on dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/ssh ? If it is OK then
could you provide a title for your article? "Malificent
Guild Discussion"?

Anyone else like to write about their experiences and
tactics and hints? If you send them to me, I will add
them.

Nothing in there now but later, if you want to see what
we have, write to me and provide a name and password
and i will add you.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Bunnies

And Paul, sounds interesting, feel free to put the 'spoiler' in with that title. Hopefully other people like Gambit who have done it can shed any tips etc?
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Well, that's handy with the Snapdragons, I've never noticed that.

Anyway, the Malificent Guild, it's an interesting one, first time I played it, I took Leif along, he gains levels really fast when reincarnated and made it a whole lot easier, now that is not possible. I would have liked to have taken Halk or Chani along but it wasn't practical.

NB: The next paragraph contains some spoilers.

I have since done it with the full guild, I wanted to get down to at least the Council Level to use the Bone Doll to get some levels but it was easier said than done, once there and my characters were up to a reasonable standard, I went down to the very bottom where the dragon is on the other side of the door, they gained levels really fast there. I had trouble finding enough items to freeze the creatures in the Emerald Forest but finally got it sorted and got to the end, I didn't quite figure out the stairway though, but in the end I finished it.

Oh, and even though my characters are quite good fighters and ninjas, it is impossible to break the Moria door, I did this last time when I had Leif in the party.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It will be possible now : ) And yeah, I miss having Leif stomping around dragging the curses in to

The iron key shortcut to the canteen is possibly the way to go to the council level (you can also gain a plasma from the fountain of ignorance to use on the canteen door to properly be on the council level and get down to the emerald level

Funny, never thought about using freeze life on the emerald forest...dunno why... genius!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I accessed the Council Level by pulling an Emerald Key from a crack in the wall then using it to open the door near the start of the sewers (there is then a staircase connecting a few of the lower levels, you know the one I mean...).

As for the using Freeze Life in the Emerald Forest - it's the first thing I thought of :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah yes, that one. I knew where the emerald keys were once, but now not without pressing all the cups etc : )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*bump*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Hello flying fatalities

Post by beowuuf »

New tip! There is actually an iron key close to the sewer stairs. Also, if you open up the way to the temple at the storage area (through the fireball-able door) you gain your gold key back AND bow/arrows, which I've realised are the guild's friend in terms of throwing items over pits and killing critters.

You can now get to the canteen quick enough that there will be no vexirks, and also you can get the gold key from one of the food alcoves! This key can be saved, or used to get another bow and arrow set from the storage area.

Oh, and also, if you have a bow and arrow, then you vcan guarantee you won't trap yourself if you go for the rope in that small room in the storage area too (plus it makes the cross key puzzle easier too and taking on rats in the wine cellar safer).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, solving the 'proof of answers' puzzle nets you an illuminet - which is nice,