Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Zyx »

The hint file from the WIP are not encrypted, while the 3.5 serie require an encrypted one.
Just use the file from 3.5B8.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

This all depends on the version the saved game was initially created with? Hm, I also think I've hit the item limit again, anything I can do about that (except eating all the canteen's food?)
Christoph
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You should be able to use the new CBSwin.exe.

If anyone thinks there is good reason not to
use the new executable, let us talk about it.
Maybe I can help.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

I use the 12.100 for Linux. Since then you've released a binary only 12.2 with unknown changes. Would this make a difference?

I'm currently merging the overlay changes from the Pandora Linux version into the x86 Linux version (see the other thread; I'd especially appreciate if you could have a look at the differences between your current CSB.h and the Pamdora one from Ful Ir), and I've got a working 12.100 with overlays now.

So the situation is as follows:

CSBwin: 12.100 compiled for x86 Linux with merged in overlay code from the 11.059 ARM Linux version
Conflux: WIP002 (all files updated)
Saved Game: started with 3.5B8, continued with WIP001 and now WIP002
Christoph
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Would this make a difference?
I fixed the problem of misc/weapon/clothing
database overflows. The old code was totally
non-functional. :-(

I will put together a source code zip file sometime
today.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

That was easy. I did not worry much about
cleaning it up.

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CSB ... Source.zip
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

There is a problem: the Linux implementation doesn't know about "max()", so "pileSize" won't be defined. "Transition.c" and "Transition.h" aren't included in "Makefile.am". Adding it doesn't help: the obect file cannot be built. I'll have to investigate this.
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

"Transition.h" would have beeen sufficient, but is totally unusable in the Linux version, so I had to move the "#define"s for "min" and "max" from there to "CSB.h".
Christoph
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader :)

I've been playing Conflux III for a while now, and have got stuck with some parts over what to do next - I was wondering if someone could give me some non-spoilery hints or advice?

Firstly, I have to say to all involved, this is an amazing game. The fact I'm playing it every evening instead of Diablo III speaks volumes :)

I think I've done most of the game content now (everything on the 'challenge' thread anyway), except for the following, which I know how to do, but havent' yet...

Sack the white chambers (tried a while back and failed miserably!)
survive the trial (know where to go but just haven't done it yet).

I also haven't done any of the guild endings, so I have those to do as well.

Few questions I have are:

1. The emerald forest - I *think* I've done it (I got to a bit where it played the opening of Stairway to Heaven) - but I don't have anything to actually show for it - is there still more to do? (I've got the dragon armour bit from it)

2. At the lowest bit of the game I can find I have to use 5 eggs - I've got them except a worm egg and ruster egg, which I can't seem to find anywhere? Are these in the game?

3. Apprentice Level - I think I've done all of this (I've killed Xantherthingy) and done the challenge bits with the wasps and teleporters (that doesn't seem to be detailed in the wiki) - is there any futher "down" I can go from here?

4. The maps on the wiki suggest a 'deathtrap dungeon' section - can you actually get to this in the game or is WIP?

5. Are any of the stranger lower levels (e.g. the "spaceship" level) actually reachable?

6. Every now and again, the screen shakes around really violently for a few seconds - what triggered this, and how do I stop it?

7. Is there any way to get around the fact that about 30 seconds after meetign the lich the screen goes completely black? I've killed her, but I can't see anything else going on afterward - it sounds like there is more "fun" after killing her, but I can't see any of it what's going on.

I think my next bits of the game are playing through the guild endings. I have to say my most enjoyable section was the Tower of Mampang - fantastically rewarding when I actually finished it, and the Hydra fight was probably the best epic fight in any dungeon master game I've seen.

Thanks again to all invovled,
Zen.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums! Or welcome out of lurking, I guess!

1. The emerald forest is the end of the malificent guild, so as a normal party you have probably done all you can do

2. Hmm, are there not worm eggs in the spider mother chambers? And are there any ruster eggs in the temple? I think eggs need priest levels to identify correctly, so it could be eggs on earlier levels seems normal at the time.

3. You probably have if you faced the great beholder and have cleared out the water area.

4. The dungeon is accessed before the main game.
Spoiler
Don't jump down the pit too quickly
So you would need to start a new game to see it.

5. Spaceship level? Oooh. Umm, some might be WIP, others might be to do with the guild leader endings, etc. Always something new to see!

6. Guess it's earthquakes from something. Is there something large around? could just be atmosphere...not sure, sounds like another cool new thing I haven't seen yet! Need to get backl to playing this!

7. Odd, maybe a DSA failure. You can get hit by powerful darkness spells by vexirks and others, but if it doens't relent then I'm not sure what is happening. Can you fight it eith |FUL spells like some other darkness?

And yes, Conflux is really a great game. Have you explored Moria yet?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm *really* gonna have to build a time machine so that I can play Conflux3. I only eve played 2 and then was never able to find the time to try the next version. It sounds like there is some amazing stuff in there now! :shock:
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

Can anyone confirm that the Deathtrap Dungeon is still working in WIP002?

thanks,
Zen.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've left the game go for longer periods of time and cannot access the DD :( I think something has broken :(
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

I've been "semi-naughty" and hacked it a bit so I can play Deathtrap Dungeon - it does look like (at least for the latest version), it's either broken or doesn't work in the same manner it did in earlier versions.

It's very nasty though! Is it supposed to be this tough? I've been saving my game every other step!

Also, in unrelated topic, is the wiki still being maintained? I've got quite a few updates to areas that have no comments on them, and wondered if it's possible to help contribute (or is this something that isn't really maintained any more?)

Thanks,
Zen.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I started the wiki but it was taken over
by someone MUCH more skilled at such things.

We would very much appreciate you contribution.
I think you need to be authorized. If the current
maintainer does not get to you in a day or so, I will
try to figure out how to speed things up.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Megar is the one to contact.

And yes, deathtrap dungeon is very nasty - low level character plus the difficulty of the original. Saving every other step and rotating your saves is mandatory :)
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

Where ist the Deathtrap entrance, if it is opened?
Christoph
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Spoiler
At the very start of the dungoen, one square forwards from the pit drop
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hi there,

2. There's also ruster eggs in Moria, if there's any rusters left, keep killing them and loading until one drops an egg. If they're all dead, not sure if you can get another...

4. The deathtrap dungeon section can be opened at one of the guild endings, a teleporter appears right at the beginning, below the first pit you fall down, once activated.

5. The spaceship level is accessed through a guild ending as well I think

6. I think this means someone in your party is sick, get everyone to drink a few max level healing potions.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

Hi,
beowuuf wrote:
Spoiler
At the very start of the dungoen, one square forwards from the pit drop
At this location you can quickly go one step backwards, but the only way out then apparently is forward again and doesn't bring you into the Deathtrap Dungeon. While this is probably what the ROS hint plate refers to, it could only open an entrance elsewhere in the game which you then could find later. This stepping back and forth action alone does not change anything near the entrance.
Antman wrote:4. The deathtrap dungeon section can be opened at one of the guild endings, a teleporter appears right at the beginning, below the first pit you fall down, once activated.
So there is a second trigger in the guild ending "opening" a teleporter somewhere at the dungeon entrance or does this teleporter appear near this guild ending's entrance if you've performed the action at the beginning of the game?
Christoph
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

It's the same teleporter that appears either way, just below the starting pit, it can just be activated in two ways I think. Last time I actually tried this was a few versions back though so it could have changed. I just remember it appearing there, so I'm not exactly sure where the second trigger is. But for the first one, to activate it at the start of the game, I think you have to wait a while at the top of the pit.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

2. Living Ven Eggs always have a _ symbol (weakest, below LO strength). They give different text messages when examined:
Spoiler
"SOMETHING WIGGLES INSIDE" - Worm; "SOMETHING WITH A LOT OF LEGS WIGGLES INSIDE" - Spider; "THE CRUST OF THE SHELL IS RUSTED. SOMETHING MOVES INSIDE" - Ruster; "THERE IS A BABY MUNCHER INSIDE" - Muncher.
Unfortuneately I've not found any dragon eggs so far. If there are no text messages on _ eggs, increase your priest level before using up any of those, but it's very unlikely that you reach the place where you need them as a key without being able to identify them.

6. I also experienced the shaking when nobody was sick, this might as well be a bug or could have other reasons, too.
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

5. Stranger lower levels

On level 0 there is a wall switch teleporting you to the Flood Test level 63, the physically lowest level in the game. You can decrease the flood effects here for really slow computers, as well as permanently increase the game's difficulty
Spoiler
(respawning monsters will be chasing you)

On level 4 there are 3 elevators,
Spoiler
one of them is key-triggered, leading into a secret treasure vault where you have to solve riddles. You need to take the appropriate items with you, if you miss something, you have to spend another key to come back.
There is one riddle I was unable to solve, the others are explained in the Wiki map. Another elevator leads to the
Spoiler
fur and daggers trader and the merchant maze
(which is unfinished work). All those areas are physically on level 34. The 3rd elevator is only a shortcut back to the guilds.

On level 5 you'll find special altars:
Spoiler
  • The Altar of Love (level 27)
  • The Altar of Ancient Doors (level 33)
  • The Altar of Rose (level 34, then upstairs to its main part on level 33)
  • The Altar of Nightmare (level 36)
  • The Altar of the Assault (level 41) is special: the level is lit, you don't need spells or torches, but take food with you, any cursed items you possess, and bags for the loot.
I think you've found most of the following, because you ask about the eggs:
Spoiler
On level 15, the lowest of the main Moria levels, there are stairs and pits leading further down in the north-eastern corner. You enter through the small Hot Springs area just below this place on level 16, there you'll find stairs leading down to level 20. A secret switch here opens the way to Ye Old King under the Mountain, level 21. A pit on the Moria level 14 leads directly to this level. This is an ant infested place where you have to open up walls through secret switches, releasing further special monsters in the process, and eventually open up a path further down, allowing you to descend to Inferno on level 26. This level has strong hellish monsters being generated whenever you step on a trigger pad. The reward is a special item, and you can proceed further down to level 34 from there. You need another special item to open the door here, leading to the Death level 38. Here you can open a shortcut between this level and a secret place in the priests' guild (which must be opened from both sides). There is another hidden passage further down from here to the bottom of the dungeon, which must be opened by 5 different sorts of eggs.
You can also have a nightmare when sleeping, which brings you to a very strange place, probably located on several levels which I could not physically identify yet.
Spoiler
You can find a useful special necklace there.
On the Emerald level 8, there's a place to trade items in for other ones or to open up shortcut passages.
Spoiler
You can obtain a magical compass there, the Learning Advisor, which can tell you not only the direction and help you find the current level's main treasure location like the other compasses do, but gives also additional text hints. Those texts are unique on most upper levels. The exceptions: "STASIS FIELD": levels 0 and 41 (an Altar level, see above), both lit; "MEETING DESTINY": all of the guild master ending levels 9-12; "DIMENSION OF LINEARITY": multiple levels below level 16. All levels above level 17 do have such a message, most of them a unique one, many levels below level 16 haven't got a message at all. For all levels where I could identify the message, I've included it on the Wiki map.
Christoph
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

Christoph wrote: Unfortuneately I've not found any dragon eggs so far.
You get these from
Spoiler
The Emerald Forest

They are identified as "A
Spoiler
Green
Dragon Egg"

Zen.
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

Christoph wrote: So there is a second trigger in the guild ending "opening" a teleporter somewhere at the dungeon entrance or does this teleporter appear near this guild ending's entrance if you've performed the action at the beginning of the game?
The manner described above is how you *used* to be able to get into the Deathtrap Dungeon, and certainly did used to work like this on earlier versions. On the latest non-encrypted version the code to handle this 'entrance' is certainly still in place, albeit doesn't appear to be working. It's possible the trigger has been changed.

It is a nasty, nasty place though. Lots of Insta-death (which to be fair, is what DD should be like! :) )

Zen.
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

Christoph wrote:5. Stranger lower levels
I have indeed done all of these. The 'stranger' levels I was on about were things like the "Dragon" level, the "Air/Earth/Water" levels, and the "Spaceship" level (with Aliens, reactors, ect)

The only bit of the game I've not done is the guild endings, so I'm assuming these are either related to that, or unused content.

Thanks,
Zen.
Zenith
Neophyte

Post by Zenith »

And I've done the 'egg' part as well - thanks very much for everyones help.

It's very cool down there, and there's also another game ending - it's certainly worth a trip :)

Thanks,
Zen.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cool, must make the trip. I think I found it on my last playthrough, but did not have all the eggs. Or maybe it wasn't finished then, one of the two!
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Has anyone managed to kill the mothers of the egg chamber and get the challenge point?
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Well, I've managed to complete another run through Conflux III 3.5B8 with 189 points for the challenge. I just can't get the Mothers of the Egg chamber to register the point.
I also finished with 25 flasks, so it looks like only the first 5 count. One new bug I found was that the gold purse can only contain 30 coins. After that it resets to 0!

Final stats 182 unique monsters slain. Mophus, Gothmog, and Halk all Pal masters in all classes, Leyla Pal master ninja and fighter and EE master wizard and priest. I started with Zed(who ended EE fighter/priest, ON ninja and PAL wizard) and opened all the guilds before adding the guild leaders. The only things I didn't do on this run was get in Deathtrap dungeon and clear out the zoo at the bottom of the dungeon(although I did collect all 8 types of eggs).