Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Phoenix »

It sounds like you are trapped in the Alchemy Lab of the Hellforges. The lab is filled with books and scrolls which document the process by which the Darc Armour was created. You will need to bring an item, that cannot be found in the Lab, with you to break the enchantment. Unfortunately, if you did not bring this item and unless you have a save game prior to claiming the Power Gem, you will not be able defeat the Spirit of the Darc Armour. If you have a Scroll of Teleportation, you can escape to Aquatana, but you can never return to the Lab. If you can load a previous save, you might want to bring about 10+ empty bags with that item so you can collect all the goodies that can be found in the Lab. None of the Flasks found there count towards the Competition.

There are multiple places where the item can be found, but the first place one encounters it will be among the Vinegars in the Mildew rooms.

If that's not enough of a hint, let me know and I can assist you further.
Generic
Neophyte

Post by Generic »

Thanks, that is fantastic ... I had read the scrolls numerous times and feared as much but you never know when something just eludes you! Thabkfully I had one save game not in the alchemy labs, quite a while before, but at least I can return with what is needed! I have a scroll of teleportation with me but the perfectionist in me doesn't like the idea of leaving it incomplete. Glad to see you're still visiting the forums, not many left by the look of it. Any other custom dungeons that come close to Conflux for an authentic DM (and beyond in Conflux's case) experience?
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Generic wrote:Any other custom dungeons that come close to Conflux for an authentic DM (and beyond in Conflux's case) experience?
Conflux is epic. As far as I know, nothing else even comes close.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I was trying to figure out a way to get the power gem without closing off the dungeon, but it seems to be no longer possible.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Generic wrote:Any other custom dungeons that come close to Conflux for an authentic DM (and beyond in Conflux's case) experience?
I don't know of any dungeon that compares to Conflux. It has so much replayability and remains consistantly difficult.
pabrams wrote:I was trying to figure out a way to get the power gem without closing off the dungeon, but it seems to be no longer possible. I was trying to figure out a way to get the power gem without closing off the dungeon, but it seems to be no longer possible.
That was fixed a while back.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I'm having a hard time getting the sixth sar key in Mophus' ending.
Spoiler
There are fireballs coming out of that sixth room in a steady stream. If I go in there and click on the green dragon nothing happens. I already killed some demons in there, I think two sets (one spawned down the hall) but none of them dropped a sar key.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

If you are where I think you are, it's not necessary. If you clicked on a portal and your party was "grabbed and sucked into its world", that world is technically incomplete and the puzzles there aren't truely functional. The good news is there's nothing that you need for Mophus' Quest there, so you will just need to reload a save prior to going there. If that's not where you are, I'll need a better description of the rooms...
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Phoenix wrote:If you are where I think you are, it's not necessary. If you clicked on a portal and your party was "grabbed and sucked into its world", that world is technically incomplete and the puzzles there aren't truely functional. The good news is there's nothing that you need for Mophus' Quest there, so you will just need to reload a save prior to going there. If that's not where you are, I'll need a better description of the rooms...
That is indeed what happened, I got that 'grabbed and sucked into its world' text - that's too bad that it's broken.

A couple more questions in that case...
1. So how do I kill the steel sphinx then? My weapons are doing 3 or so damage to it. I read in this thread somewhere that I need a special weapon.
2. Maybe this is related to the first question, but I've never figured out how to imbue my weapons with golem-killing ability. I've been to most of the dungeon (I think) except the guild endings and the king under the mountain. Is it in one of those places, or have I missed it somewhere?
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

pabrams wrote: 1. So how do I kill the steel sphinx then? My weapons are doing 3 or so damage to it. I read in this thread somewhere that I need a special weapon.
I guess I need to get all the essences for the four planes, but I can't find the teleporter to the plane of fire...
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

pabrams wrote:
pabrams wrote: 1. So how do I kill the steel sphinx then? My weapons are doing 3 or so damage to it. I read in this thread somewhere that I need a special weapon.
I guess I need to get all the essences for the four planes, but I can't find the teleporter to the plane of fire...
Never mind, finally found the plane of fire.

Gee, I wish I could edit my posts, or delete them.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I finally got the right weapon and spell, but I must have done several hundred thousand damage to the steel sphynx and he won't go down. I saw some other people had the same problem... what's going on, is he regenerating or something?
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The Steel Sphinx has a huge number of HP, but it can only be killed with that special weapon. This is the longest battle in Conflux, and it can take a long time. Try attacking with the Champion in your party with the highest Dexterity. From my experience, it's the attacks that miss or do less than 500 that make it last so long. I have seen Halk and Leyla get 1000+ hits with the 'slice' attack (this is the best attack with this weapon). Since the other members of you party can't attack, have them pump out stamina potions and fireshields.

As for the Golem killing ability, There's an alcove in Xanathar's lair where weapons can be placed to add that ability. It doesn't grant the ability to kill Golems in one shot, but it does increase the amount of damage a normal weapon will do against them. Once you get Halk or Leyla to UM Master fighter they can usually take out a normal Golem in 2-3 hits (especially Leyla with her Crystal sword).
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Thanks, that got me through Mophus' ending. I pumped Leyla's dexterity up to 119 by giving her a Dexhelm and cloak of night and levelling her up to um master ninja, and the steel sphynx finally died.

I was expecting to find the holy shield of Lyte to complete my set, but I still don't have it. Any hints on where to find it? The wiki says "Three fights for freedom" but I have no idea where that is.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Wow, you've been doing things the hard way if you completed Mophus' Quest without his full set of armor. Mophus equiped with the full holy armor and shield can cast the "Awaken Armor" spell and heal the entire party. To get to Three Fights for Freedom, drop down the pit in the Barracks. North of where you arrive is a hidden pit that with get you there.

I've uploaded part of the Path of Phoenix to the wiki. A player, who has played Conflux long enough to have found all 15 of the map password scrolls and downloaded Gambit's maps, will be able to use them and this Path to unlock all Guild level restrictions. I tried to make it from the perspective of Zed, but it will work for all the Guides. The second part will cover completing the parts of the Challenge that can done up to the Guildmaster Quests (128 points).

I have nearly completed Quests page for the Wiki and will post it soon. This will leave only certain puzzles left "undocumented" as much as they aren't by Level Notes.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Yeah, I was still using old fashioned healing potions, but no more!

That sounds intriguing... taking a look now. Geez... you've done 20+ playthroughs? That's impressive.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Phoenix wrote:I've uploaded part of the Path of Phoenix to the wiki. A player, who has played Conflux long enough to have found all 15 of the map password scrolls and downloaded Gambit's maps, will be able to use them and this Path to unlock all Guild level restrictions. I tried to make it from the perspective of Zed, but it will work for all the Guides.
Well done; nice walkthrough. It can be quite painful for a new player to jump through all those hoops to get the guilds unlocked, especially if they don't intend to replay but want to get maximum points. I definitely learned a few things... mainly the locations of a corbum or three I wasn't aware of. I don't really see why someone would need the passwords though, unless Gambit's maps are the only ones that provide the correct names for everything..... I suppose it's true that a completely new player wouldn't understand much about your path.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I've played every version of Conflux at least twice and some versions four or more times while working on the wiki. Each time a new version would come out, I hoped it would be the version that allowed me to get the full points of the Challenge. I'm always one point short due to bugs.

I consider Gambit's maps to be part of the Conflux experience. The maps show you Conflux without exposing all the secrets, and they provide a nice visual reference for specific places in the dungeon. Conflux isn't for someone wants an easy dungeon, and there's more to Conflux than the Challenge. One of Conflux's greatest strengths is that it is consistantly difficult each time you play it. Each time you play it, you learn more about it., but you will never know everything about Conflux unless you play it multiple times. Some spellls, certain events, and some messages only occur if certain Champions are in your party. The worst part of Conflux is that it makes playing the original DM/CSB too easy.
Generic
Neophyte

Post by Generic »

I screwed up my save outside the Hellforge by foolishly returning and saving over it. I teleported out to Aquantana, but the world was blue-tinged (as it had been in the Hellforge) and it was paining me. So .. managed to return to my save without the item required, but created it out of the components lying about and defeated the spirit. The guilds area is now closed off - with every item I had stashed - but at least the world is no longer blue-tinged! Onwards and upwards. Time to find Halk some new armour since all the spares are now inaccessible in the guilds area.
Generic
Neophyte

Post by Generic »

And incredibly annoyingly I've somehow contrived to lose the Gaze of Fate - no doubt forgot to pick it up after looking inside! Well, I definitely didn't grind it....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Phoenix wrote:I consider Gambit's maps to be part of the Conflux experience. The maps show you Conflux without exposing all the secrets, and they provide a nice visual reference for specific places in the dungeon.
Thank you! :) It's nice to see that people are still enjoying the maps. I think they may be rather out-of-date now, as I made them back in 2008 and Zyx has updated Conflux a lot since then.

I wish I could find my original layered PSD files for these maps. I can only find the final JPGs, and if I were to make them now, I would definitely clean up a lot of the dirt which makes some of them hard to read.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

CSBWin makes a back-up of your last savegame each time you save, so as long as you haven't re-saved since that time you can recover it. It will have a .bak extension instead of .dat. Just delete existing .dat file and rename the .bak file to .dat and reload.
Spoiler
On the Crypt level where the Stairs of Ashes begin, take the Southern stairs, and, at the bottom of the stairs move forward one tile and stop. You'll fall in to The Portals. From there you can enter the portal to Guildhall. You'll need exit via the pit in the Ninja Guild everytime though. At Halk's ending, you have to only re-open the old path to Moria if you want the Guildhall door to stay open.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I'm stuck in Leyla's ending, just like the first time... I eventually got through it but I don't remember what I did. Do I have to solve "Send a bleeding rusty dagger"? Can't figure that one out. I can manipulate a teleporter to change a fireball's direction near there but not sure what that's for. I fed the anger back to the face but not sure what that did. I can see where I want to go in the maps but don't know how to get there.

Fortunately, I did manage to get rid of the smoke monster, so I've been able to look around at my leisure.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Wow, never mind, I got through it again, but I'm not sure I'd be able to explain how.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Should I just keep hacking at this knight wearing my Darc armour? Only a few weapons will do any damage at all to him, and those only 2 or 3 damage. I don't remember this at all...
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I guess it's the same problem Generic was having? But maybe I'm not as smart, I've read everything in here but I don't know what object I'm supposed to have...
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Oh geez... figured it out; I shouldn't read the hints before I play the game, because that's what threw me off - I wasn't missing any items. What item were you guys talking about? Everything I needed was already there, I think...
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I have that item in hand and ready to throw as soon my party is transported into that room. I'm a colllector, so I try to take everything in the lab. The only things I leave there are the branches and normal stones. Halk's Quest was the last of the Guildmaster Quests that I learned after much trial/error and reading of the scrolls and books in the lab in version 3.5_B8. This was long before I added the Alchemy page to the wiki.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Yeah, that alchemy page is very useful.

Is there a list of air-rune scrolls somewhere? I'm missing a few - I think I only got two this run. I think I'm also missing a flask, but not sure whether I had one and lost it. (And it's impossible to count them now anyway).

I killed Vecna to see what would happen (I'm going to restore my save before killing it though, and do it again later maybe) but I couldn't find Mace Windu, which is supposed to give a point, right? Vecna doesn't seem to have dropped anything. There's just a couple of bags down there. It's hard to be sure though, due to all the lightning flying around, plus there's a teleporter that moves me near the altar of nightmare every time I try to look around in Vecna's lair.

I managed to get out to the main dungeon with Halk's power gem, is that a bug? I ended up reloading and taking the Moria route instead, because that felt like what I was supposed to do and I didn't want the guilds closed off.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Wait... even though I took the Moria route, the guild door is still closed...

Is the Darc armour walking around somewhere?
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Can't help you with Vecna. My party is typically shreded by the lightning after killing her. Lighting strength was increased in one of the revisions and it really changed the game balance. I get broken bones from lightning hits 75% of the time.

There are 5 Air-Rune scrolls and they will be listed in the Quests page when I fiinsh it.

Once you return from the past in Halk's Quest, do not click on the first eye switch (on western wall) unless you are taking Halk's ending. For Halk's ending you click on that switch, take the teleporter to the Guilds and then go to Halk's mirror. Puting the power gem in the amalgum there will end the game.