Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Phoenix »

I put it at around 5.7%. At game frozen the new version draws 0.21% of the CPU compared to the 0.78% of 12.8. On average, the new version is using less CPU resources compared to 12.8.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

the new version is using less CPU resources compared to 12.8
I am at a loss to explain this result. But happy to hear it.
It means I can probably get Conflux to run on the Raspberry Pi
without having to make very tedious changes.

One thing I noticed while working on this project is that
Conflux causes a great number of disk reads....probably
for CSBGraphics.dat. I may try to increase the graphics
file cache to avoid a lot of I/O on a relatively slow
USB device.

I may or may not get up the courage to attack some of
the bugs in Conflux itself. In any case, I want to keep
a list of known bugs. At the bottom of :
http://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux
you will find a link to the ConfluxTech page. I have listed
the bugs of which I am aware. If you know of any bugs,
could you please add them to the list. Or let me know
and I will add them. If anyone else is willing to kelp
with this list, please do so.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

There must have been some changes you have made between 12.8 and 14.4. My testing was at 2x size, add 5-15% CPU utilization for playing at 3x. I'll need you to authorize me to access that section of the wiki, and then I can add all the issues I'm aware of.

While Conflux has some issues, I think it's important to note that they won't really affect 99% of players. I only find these things because I try to do everything possible in a playthrough. I'm still finding new things to do and try.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I'll PM you a password until I can get your authorization changed.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

important to note that they won't really affect 99% of players
If they cause a crash then it seems worth a bit of effort.
I caused a crash myself and I was just wandering around
at the start of the game wondering how to get a flask.

I agree that many bugs are only worth a few minutes
of debugging time.

But a list of errors would be really nice to have in case
some very dedicated person were to come along looking
for perfection and willing to help.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I have a list of known bugs somewhere, I'll put it on the tech wiki.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I already have a file from you named "bugs.txt". I quote it below.
If you think it reasonable, I will post these bugs myself. Or
you can post your list. Or both.

RA key hole at (18,17,Cool North. Should this be a fireball
shooter? It shoots single fireballs, and does not seem to accept
any key.

Door at (19,16,Cool can be chopped through, saving an onyx key
(may be intended.)

Floor text at (18,16,Cool "I SAID... NOOOOOOOOO..." does not
work like the other floortexts around that four square area, in
that it does not require the presence of a creature on the other
side of the door but is triggered by the party walking on it.
The problem: if the vexirk inside is lured out and killed with
the party not entering its room, the text can still be triggered
afterwards once the monster is dead. I recommend using the same
mechanic as the other three texts for this one, or disabling
this text once it has been displayed once.

Turquoise key hole at (20,17,Cool North does not destroy the
turquoise key that opens it (might be intended.)

Turquoise key hole at (19,7,Cool South makes the adjacent door
close, then open. Except sometimes it doesn't open again. I'm
not sure whether it's random or there is a reason for it.

There does not seem to be any exit from the path to the Emerald
forest (7,32,9) and down the stairs all the way to level 15 if
one does not own at least: _ 4 emerald keys (just to leave) _ At
least two sar keys and 1 gaefusilfr (access to emerald forest
(?) at level 15) _ At least 1 sar key, 4 emerald keys and 2
gaefusilfr (access to emerald key converter and emerald forest)
_ At least eight emerald keys and two gaefusilfr (if the
converter can be used more than once.) Here I'm assuming that
the party came through (12,31,9) and fell down the trap
(12,32,9) while the door (7,26,9) is still closed.

Stairs at (32,10,9/10) point the party east on going down the
first time.

Some red, giant scorpions do not remain at the center of their
tile, sometimes 'dodging' fireballs. See around level 9.

DSA variable[20] sometimes used without being assigned a value
on level 9.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You should use:
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CSBwin15_0.zip

It should be the same as what you are using but it has
an official version number and such.

I hope it is the same. Creating it is a bit convoluted when
using a virtual computer and Window$ 98.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I don't see any real difference in performance, although I did wonder if something was off with Giant Rats. I was harvesting them for Steaks and Fur Rags, but the percentages were off. Killing Giant Rats usually generates a Fur Rag around 33% of the time. I got 20 Steaks in a row without any Fur Rags. They started to drop after that, but I've never seen that many sole Steaks in a row before.
Eddie
Neophyte

Post by Eddie »

Hello all,

New to this forum.. first I would like to thank the authors of CSBWin & Conflux for an awesome game!!

Then the question, about the alchemy: I read the wiki and assumed that alchemy effects are permanent but they seem not so?
I think that the process of combining (rare) stuff to get permanent stat increases would be a great idea but too cumbersome for temporary effects.

BR,
Eddie
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I'm playing WIP006, and the golem at Rise Guardian... Rise (stair of ashes at the emerald level) keeps regenerating. I read somewhere this can happen if you have less than four party members, but I have five. I'm just wondering if this is a bug... if it is, I think I can work around it by going through the Moria, right?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I wish you luck. I don't know that anyone is around who is able
to answer such questions. You may be the expert.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Well, that's too bad. Sigh, I wish it was still 2004. It's fun to play this again (I never played with all guild masters before! Zyx really put the cherry on the icing with this five-person-party feature), but feels lonely this time without an active community (my name before was Inanity but couldn't use the old account, don't even know what email it's associated with). Anyway thanks for answering.

By the way, I'm thinking now that this is not a bug... not sure exactly what's going on yet. Maybe I'll edit the wiki when I figure it out.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Anything you can add to the wiki will most certainly be
appreciated by future players. This game will last a
long time, I think. It just needs to be discovered by
the right people. But it has proved too much for me.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Hello,

@pabram: I think the rising is not related anymore to the number of characters. I don't remember if there is a way to avoid it. However, stone golems are not very sentient creatures and can be tricked into thinking you're not alive.

@Eddie: yes, the most powerful effects of alchemy are permanent, you can get zo liqueur for example.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The stone golem at the bottom of the Stairs of Ashes only spawns if you come down the stairs. If you have a skeleton key and access to the High Sentinel room of the Emerald level, you can open the wall on the Western wall to that corridor.

As Zyx has stated, Zo liqeurs are pernenant. Think of thorns as a varient of a stat potion; i.e. they wear off.

If you have any other questions, please post them here, and I'll help if I can. I have solutions for the majority of the dungeon, but I haven't had time to update the wiki in a while. When I finish organizing my "Path", it will contain a basic walkthough from the start to the complete opening of the Guilds (access to all Guild leaders and removal of level restictions). The only puzzle I can't help you with, is the "Save the Slaves" puzzle in Circus Games.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Thanks for the answers Zyx and Phoenix. Phoenix, I did manage to get to the other side of the golem with a skeleton key. He seems to be rooted to the spot and when I kill him another one still appears. I was going up and down those stairs a lot... does it build up a queue of respawns for the same number of times I used those stairs?

I'll have to think about Zyx's hint about playing dead... that sounds intriguing.

Save the slaves is one I did manage to figure out myself.

Haven't played in a week or so but I think I'll crack it open again now...
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

That can happen. For a time, when you go up those stairs, a Giggler will also be spawned in the Joggler Giggler room. Once you get Caliburn, Furx, or add Golem slaying to a weapon, Stone Golems get easier to kill. Leyla can take out Golems with her Crystal Sword fairly quickly. I 've never bothered with the gaze trick for them.

Care to post the solution for the slaves puzzle?
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Yeah that sure is a tricky one. Had to go back and make sure I could reproduce the steps. Wiki updated: http://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux/P ... rcus_Games
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Does anyone remember how to get to the trial?

I've never had trouble getting there before. I could have sworn it was through one of those pits in the barracks or the captain's quarters, but they just take me to the circus prizes archives library now.

I did somehow get to hell already, before even visiting the council level, I think by falling through a pit in the sewers which led somehow to the Fall of Fright which took me directly to hell. Now when I drop into the fall of fright it just leads right back where I started.

I can drop into the council to kill them if I want, which is strange, because I always thought I had to do the trial first before that could happen. I don't want to kill them yet, because then I can't do the trial, right?

EDIT: Nevermind! Finally figured out that I had to click one of the councillors in the Jiggler Goggler room.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Can anyone recommend which order I should proceed? I've killed the council and explored the top eight levels. I've just killed the dragon with the master key. Not sure which order to do the following, or whether it even matters much. I'd like to get as much cool stuff as early as possible so I can actually use it before the game is over.

1. Proceed through the Master Key door to the Tower of Mampang
2. Gothmog's ending
3. Halk's Ending
4. Leyla's Ending
5. Mophus' Ending
6. Apprentice Room (Aquantana, and also I think Zothastra or whatever its name is)
7. Kill the councillor ... I already killed the dragon at the bottom of Pit D and opened the stair of ashes, but the councillor wasn't around, I think because I hadn't killed the council yet.
8. Get the power gem?
9. Kill Vecna
10. Finish Moria - I already went in to retrieve Caliburn and visit the upper armories, also killed the Balrog and grabbed his whip while I was down there. I'm not sure what else there is to do down there.
11. Altar of the Assault
12. Emerald Forest, but the only thing there is some dragon armor I think?

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything or maybe there are new areas I'm unaware of, too.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The typical way of going to the triial is via the councilor that you can click on in the Barracks.

Thank you for posting the solution to the Slaves, but it would be nice if you add spoiler tags and not post speculation in the wiki. Feel free to quote yourself, but the wiki is supposed to be about the game, not particularly one person's experience. That's what the Path section is for.

While there really isn't any recommended order, I would suggest saving going below Inferno as the last thing you do.

2-5) These are very difficult if you party is below Master levels in all classes.
7 and 8 are the same Quest. Examine the room at the top of those stairs.
9) You also can't kill Vecna and survive in wip006 even with 999 hp champions.

Conflux doesn't really have an ending until you choose one.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Phoenix wrote: Thank you for posting the solution to the Slaves, but it would be nice if you add spoiler tags and not post speculation in the wiki. Feel free to quote yourself, but the wiki is supposed to be about the game, not particularly one person's experience. That's what the Path section is for.
Sorry, but no, I'm not going back to edit it just to add spoiler tags (the whole wiki is one big spoiler), or to remove 'speculation'. Feel free to edit it yourself, or even delete the page if you really don't like it. That's what wikis are for.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Phoenix wrote: 2-5) These are very difficult if you party is below Master levels in all classes.
Thanks for the advice. Not sure if you mean Arch Master or Lo Master ... I guess the latter. But anyway I guess I'll save these for after the Councillor, Apprentice Room, and Towers.

As for Inferno, I'm not sure what that is or how to get there... sounds new! I guess I'll find out.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

I ran into a Bug; not sure if anyone else reported it yet.

In WIP006, when picking up the scroll after solving the "Keep Washing" puzzle, I get a bunch of DSA warnings. The first one is 16(8,24) Row=0;Col=0. The rest just say something about trying to use an uninitialized variable.
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

pabrams wrote:
Phoenix wrote: Thank you for posting the solution to the Slaves, but it would be nice if you add spoiler tags and not post speculation in the wiki. Feel free to quote yourself, but the wiki is supposed to be about the game, not particularly one person's experience. That's what the Path section is for.
Sorry, but no, I'm not going back to edit it just to add spoiler tags (the whole wiki is one big spoiler), or to remove 'speculation'. Feel free to edit it yourself, or even delete the page if you really don't like it. That's what wikis are for.
Sorry for reacting like that, I initially took your comment as "Thanks for the solution, but your article sucks", but I guess you were just trying to provide some constructive criticism. When I get a chance, I'll clean it up a bit, and for future articles I'll try to stick to facts, and use spoiler tags, although I'm not very good with the criteria for when to use a spoiler tag.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Re: wiki
Exactly. I'm just trying to encourage some uniformity to the wiki entries. I don't really care about the Places section, as I've deprecated that section in my own personal copy of the wiki(also to be uploaded at a later date).

From the main page of the Conflux wiki:
Explicit spoiling is not the aim of these wiki articles, but rather helping lost adventurers to find their way through this wonder. Towards this end, spoiler tags have been added to articles, when appropriate, to provide solutions for the truly frustrated, but the player is encouraged to experiment before seeking out this information.

I do really appreciate the solution to the Slaves puzzle. For some reason that puzzle stumped me.

FYI, The Fall of Fright in Circus Games is there to provide access to two Unique items.
Spoiler
A Helion Necklace and the Silver purse.
RE: bug
The Soap and Water room bug is a known bug. Despite the error messages, it doesn't effect game play.

RE: Mastery
Unlike DM/CSB, champions don't possess their full abilities until you reach UM Master. View the Guild_Special_Abilities section of the wiki for more information.

RE: Inferno
Inferno can be found deep under Moria. You need to go there to complete Gothmog's Quest
pabrams
Apprentice

Post by pabrams »

Re: Fall of Fright - Thanks, I guess I need to fall down there a few more times. At least I think I do... I may have already gotten those items. I got an iron key and I guess that unique purse (didn't realize it was unique, tho) on the way down. Is the fall of fright how one gets to hell? And are you aware of an alternate entrance, other than clicking the fall of fright button?
Spoiler
I thought I fell down there from the sewers somehow and ended up in hell and had to fight some ugly bugger who kept casting poison at me. I got a vorpal blade and a Helion down there. Is that what you're talking about, or is this another Helion?
Incidentally, I lost a Helion (maybe two ?!?), a flask, and a unique vorpal blade and some other stuff to some gigglers. I thought it was in the thief maze at the bottom of pit D, but I could be wrong, although I think those guys get teleported all over the place? What a pain, I guess the only way to get them back is to search the whole dungeon, starting with particular locations in levels 1-6?
Good to hear the soap and water bug doesn't affect gameplay.
Yeah I did know about Um Master Priests, but didn't realize wizards had a similar threshold.
I'd finished Gothmog's ending before, but don't remember the Inferno thing...

Hey I just stumbled on this old post by Joramun saying you don't need to unlock that door that takes four keys of B to get to Xanathar. Are you aware of that? He called it a huge loss to use the keys there, but I'm not even aware of anywhere those extra keys can be used (I guess there's that door in the temple, but I already did the puzzle there)... oh, maybe the tower of pits, etc, can be bypassed if you have extra B keys? Or are there some B keyholes in the endings? I've just killed Xanathar and I'm trying to decide whether to go back and try to find a way in without using up those keys, but I'm not sure it even exists or if it does whether it's worth it.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The Fall of Fright is 34 levels bellow The Hells. There are 6 unique purses(iron, silver, gold, copper, emerald, and sapphire) each for storage of their respective item. From your description, I don't believe you were in The Hells. You get sent to The Hells for failing either part one or two of the Trial. One might have survived this room in the earliest versions of Conflux, but now you are completly surrounded by very high HP creatures. If by some miracle you managed to get to the exit, you could claim a certificate of innocense and a hellion. IMHO, it's not worth the effort. Despite being labeled "Unique", there are 5 hellions. They are useful in dealing with Death.

You were most likely facing the Feyr in the Nightmare. That room has both a Vorple blade and a hellion.

The Maze of Thieves is supposed to be self contained, so the gigglers should still be in there. Don't worry about saving keys. I've had bags of keys left over after "completing" the game. SAR, winged, and skeleton keys are the only rare keys.

If you completed Gothmog's Quest, you visisted Inferno. There's no way to complete it without going there. The ground and walls there are on fire and there are Red Pillars scattered about the level.
Generic
Neophyte

Post by Generic »

Amazing to see this thread is still active! Loving this game, have played Dungeon Master through my entire life on various platforms - Conflux brings a new breath of life to it and thanks to the creators and those that have added to it. Quick question though - Halk's ending.... maybe I'm missing somethign obvious or have mental fatigue but I can't seem to do anything to the spirit of the Darc Armour. I can drive it into the pit area where it seems subdued but not sure what to do now. Anyone any pointers?