conflux ii - here comes a new challenger

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
megar
Journeyman

conflux ii - here comes a new challenger

Post by megar »

Hi everyone.

At first I have been thinking to write this first message here to introduce myself and say how much i love Dungeon Master & CSB, but, nah... We're all the same, otherwise we won't still be playing a game released 20 years ago, at the prehistoric age of computers.

I have played some custom dungeons, some great (tower of chaos), some bugged (don't remember, but the author was not able to help me with its dungeon, so I gave up and got disgusted).

Conflux II, I have seen this name for ages before trying it ! I think it scared the hell out of me to see the number of messages here. Damn, this dungeon should be terribly difficult !

But finally I started it. And after being impressed by the custom graphics, and new tricks, and losing myself a thousand times, I decided to go deeper into it.

First, how to choose my champions ? God, that was a dilemma !!! The champion hall is a masterpiece !!! Congratulations, Zyx !

I finally chose 3 champions as a go (having a free slot, just in case), and beginning to map the dungeon. While I was thinking the creatures would be strong and in large crowd, finally they were very well balanced. Not too much generator (I hate this !) or too strong. That's why I decided to level up for a few weeks (yeah I played only a couple of hours a day). The start was a piece of cake (storage cellar with the screamer generator and water) - just what to have to level up in good conditions ! Then go to the level below the sewer to practice a little more (deeper, more experience points)

Three weeks ago, I began to enter deeper into the dungeon. "Deeper" ? Actually not, I just began to map the first level (the cellar). I got impressed, it is actually HUGE with tons of secrets ! And all the stairs and pits, they are many levels that are crossed together, again, this is a true masterpiece !
I remember still finding secrets in this very first level (the door with the rope, fountain and pit), a week ago !!!

Thank you Zyx for this GREAT dungeon. It very well deserves spending some time on it. Way more interesting than DM, and way less confusing that CSB. It is possible to map Conflux II, it is not that hard (and actually pleasant), unlike CSB (i gave up).

I am playing with version j (this is the last one, right ?)

So far I have solved 4 subquests. (I will send it to confluxii@yahoo.com).

This dungeon is HUGE ! There seems to be 15/16 levels that seem enormous ! I bought a A4 notebook, a pencil and rubber, it is a PLEASURE to find my way when walking through a stair or by a pit just by flipping a page of paper !

I discovered that, after a certain level, the rope got useless (i a good way), I love this kind of details, and the new spells are great. But I just got a flask, this was not too difficult afterall, but I have taken other ways, through different levels, so I spent way too much time without one, it is very useful, now I am ready to really enter the dungeon !
I have to say that so far, I did not use any key, or gem, or coin, I keep mapping until I have to !

Thank you again Zyx.

Anyway, Conflux III - will be a whole new dungeon, or the same one, with enhanced engine ?

About the "spiteful spittles", is there any interest in solving it ?
Even with the difficult "save the slave", I think the reward is not so great for solving it, but with the spittles I see nothing at all ?
Last edited by megar on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Conflux III will be the same dungeon, but you can expect additional enhancements in graphics, critters and mechanics with some additional areas

If you have tried the spiteful spitters long enough, you will realise the items you can get (as they start getting thrown at you!).
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Thanks for the comments.
the spiteful spitters must be solved quickly, otherwise there won't be any reward left.
megar
Journeyman

About Sudden Death

Post by megar »

About Sudden Death
-
I keep going by Conflux II. I completed some more quests, I will send them to the judges in a few days.

I read somewhere in this forum that there is a part, that seems important, called Sudden Death.

With my mapping team, I noticed this title appears twice:
- Just below the room of illusions (stairs down to sudden death), this area leads to a strange room with lots of throwable stuff. Is this area the sudden death ???
- As a advice by one of the guild leader (this pit lead to the sudden death).
But when I go through this pit, that should send me to another area, next to the one I already explored, I get to the "To the goggler giggler room" teleporters ! So I guess there is a teleporter just under that pit that prevents me to go to this area. Am I right ? How to desactivate this teleporter so that I can go to the Sudden Death ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The sudden death is the unusually ferocious couatyl. You get to it through the end of the emerald level (it's near the entrance to the high sentinal

It is in no way important to do
megar
Journeyman

Post by megar »

Ok, thank you.I did not come from the high sentinel, but from the barracks, where you get the "thank you for killing me" giggler.
I noticed this couatyl in this narrow corridor, it was strong, but easily killable, since I could have some rest but below it.

What I don't understand is why I get a message that says 'This pit leads to a sudden death', because this pit only leads to another part in the SAME level ("to the goggler giggler" teleporters). That's why I though there was a teleporter under this pit.

I keep exploring !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That would be the one, you lucked getting to the stairs as sometimes you can get trapped ahead of them and it can take you apart quite quickly!

Not sure, zyx would need to say if this is a bugged message or not. It could be there was a pit below that dropped you to the sudden death, but you closed it

It's how the pit d works - it's pretty deadly, but you can reduce your fall by closing pits
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

it's a bug from version j, Gando should say: "this pit leads to a place full of bones", and you should fall under the joggler room.
megar
Journeyman

Post by megar »

Thank you, Zyx. This is actually a very minor "bug"
This dungeon is so complex and so bug free, it is amazing !
All these pit and stairs and locks, and not any deadlocks, congratulations !
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

have you died yet megar? or am i still the ultimate survivor ;)
Immortal Dungeoneer.
megar
Journeyman

Post by megar »

I'm still alive ! And still in Conflux II !
How about you, did you dare to enter in this dungeon ? Or are you waiting for the upcoming Conflux III ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sera didn't die while playing conflux II, there is a diary thread somewhere about it