[Custom dungeon] Conflux III: The Undercity [CSBWin] [Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)]

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lord soth 75
Adept

Re: [CSBwin] Conflux III: the Undercity

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:There are twp paths the temple directs you to, either one leads to that area. Check the high priest layer first - there's a door with torches you might discover is something else... something helpful to blasting elementals! And the elementals are't infinite...
Done it earlier.
Found the wisdom of the monks,then i travelled to the future :)
Got a 2nd Emerald Key,which i persume is used on the other door near to the area with the Elementals.The scroll mentioned path of vigour.

Cheers for the hint about the 'torches' as well. If it wasn't for those new additions to my weaponry collection i would not have been able to make it past the elemental creatures.
There was a Stone Golem wandering around towards the end of the wisdom path.Should i have killed it?
Iv got a ton of questions to ask,but i need to note them down so that they make sense when i type them.

I absolutely love this dungeon!!
IMO,This is way better than original DM and CSB.
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Emerald keys are usually used to open main path doors - sort of like a cross between skeleton keys and ra keys I guess!

The stone golem is killable, and I think drops something useful. There was an L fountain though (a tribte to Dm encyclopaedia creator and maintainor Christophe), around which is an illusionary wall. If you need another way to get to/from the sewer to help you take breaks from the fighting there, that would be a good little place to rest. You know, once the golem was dead!

And conflux is such a labur of love you can't help but sqee at it. There are so many nooks and crannies that have expanded to insane proportions over the years, and any mechanic you could dream of has been created. Especially when you go deeper. Fro example - there is a place called 'the apprentice rooms' that is basically a new small dungeon if you know how to unlock it. And I'll just say one other word - 'moria'

If you manage to find any scrolls with passwords on, you can also go to the main confluxc page, and get the link to gambit's site he said up. Typing in a password let's you see one of his cool maps, that gives you the basic layout, and some hints to some of the more obscure and not documented areas. Plus they are very cool, and sometimes have funny parts to them!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Im not sure where i should be heading next :?: :?:

Iv gained the wisdom of the monks.
All the monks on the temple level are dead.

Is it time to finally take the plunge and venture into those sewers?
I found a Crypt level via the Guild,but all that is there is a bunch of gravestones and a locked skeleton key door :(

Any hints????

Also..... The pain rats seem to have stopped re-generating in the cellar area.Iv passed through that area 3 times tonight,and all that spawned was 1 pain rat.
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Yes, once the pain rats become easy food, they're programmed to go extinct, forcing you to go into deeper challenges.
Crypt has treasures but no food, fewer monsters than the sewers, but they're undead and have some specificities.
You could also try the mines below the sewers.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think you should have enough 'outs' and power to take on the sewer now!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Zyx wrote:Yes, once the pain rats become easy food, they're programmed to go extinct, forcing you to go into deeper challenges.

:x Damn!!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:I think you should have enough 'outs' and power to take on the sewer now!
Is the Mines entrance located in sewers? Im just about to start playing,and will be exploring the sewers :( :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't be scared of the sewers, it's as fun as the rest, and you kick arse now! Remember how you conquered CSB!

You have the sewers, the mines, then the crypt, so yes you can find entrances to the mine (accidentally and on purpose) through the sewers...and similarly, from the mines to the crypts.

If you find yourself at the mine, remmeber what you learned in your previous trip - no casting light spells nor walking around with naked torches! Gte all your magic done in the sewer before decending, and look for nicer light like glowstones and illuminets!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:Don't be scared of the sewers, it's as fun as the rest, and you kick arse now! Remember how you conquered CSB!

You have the sewers, the mines, then the crypt, so yes you can find entrances to the mine (accidentally and on purpose) through the sewers...and similarly, from the mines to the crypts.

If you find yourself at the mine, remmeber what you learned in your previous trip - no casting light spells nor walking around with naked torches! Gte all your magic done in the sewer before decending, and look for nicer light like glowstones and illuminets!
Found the mine from the sewers. :)

Also,found an area that seems too good to be true. Its a small area with absolutely tons and tons of food in alcoves,along with a water fountain.

Had a weird thing happen earlier though.I went back up to the guilds level to gather a few empty sacks to fill with all the food,and nearly jumped out of my skin because there was a group of 4 vexirks wandering around the area where i stash all my sfuff. :shock:
Upon death they dropped an Emerald Key.
So,iv now got 2 of these emerald keys along with a Turqoise key.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It;s the canteen of the council, always well stocked. Mostly well stocked with vexirks! It's your deeper level food area. You're on the council level there, and might find some cool plot stuff, some difficult challenges, and the way to some really deep levels.

And yes, don't assume the starting area will always be free of robbers and wabderinbg critters!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

The Council level?

I thought i was in the Dwarven Mines!! :?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Unless there is a second area I don't know about, you most likely teleported there (there are all sorts of fun shortcuts). There was actually one to/from the temple level aswell, but I think you need to come at it form the canteen side!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Couple of questions tonight.

1-Iv found a dagger called 'Funeral' Dagger. I also have a Funeral thorn in my inventory. Are these Funeral items special finds,or should i disguard them?

2-Any hints how i can get into the Dwarven Forge? I managed to destroy a few other doors on this level using my ALL NEW!! Fireball spell.I cant seem to find any way into the Forge,and i haven't seen any locks for the doors. So..im confused :?: :oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Funereal weapons do some extra damage (a little poison cloud graphic should hit the monster). They used to be some of the most powerful weapons in the game.

Congrats on the fireball!

The dwarf forge is evil. All I will say is.... have you ever wondered what is down all those pits that are littered around? Gando should warn you if some are deadly and deep, but...what about the others....
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ beowuuf

Im assuming there's a pit somewhere in the sewers that drops down to this Dwarven Forge?

Btw..... I spent a good hour or so earlier battering the creatures in the sewers,and it does seem like they are gradually getting thinned out..At last.
The Blue Trolls are very rare ever since i thwarted their ambush and nicked their secret weapons.The Chewer pod tree's are practically non existant too.
Iv only explored about half of the sewers though,i keep reaching an area with lots of water and the current pulls my characters down into a pit,so iv decided to stay away from that part for the time being.

Im now going to peck around this Dwarven mines area for a few days,and try and get it mapped.Im taking my time,mainly because im enjoying playing this dungeon so much.

Would love to see a HD version of Conflux 3.

Thanx for the quick reply m8.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed! I can narrow it down if pit jumping isn't fun, but there are some interestign thigns to find... though perhaps save first :)

Hmm, the water didn't used to pull you in to the pit, you shopuld find a place to get washed ashore. Maybe it's to do wit hthe WIP flood control room. Anyway, there are 'safe' areas to settle in the flood, and also beyond that area is a certain pit and stairwell area that might be intrestign to explore...

I think the critters in the sewer are generated by moving on to the level or moving about, so you can thin them down. Or you could before, glad it's still the case!

It's a very good idea to map the dwarven mines, as numbers on some walls might make you realise :) And happy to help, glad conflux is still getting played and enjoyed! So much more to do and see!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

The water graphics in this dungeon are a thing of beauty.
I was actually underwater earlier,and had to move around until i found a set of stairs up.

Would be cool to see these water effects (The rising of the water,and the current ect) used in a custom dungeon that would make 'them' a focal point.

Kinda like a scenario in which a dungeon is slowly sinking into the ocean,and the aim of the custom dungeon is to essentially out-run the rising water levels,and reach an exit at the top before you drown to death.Think of.....a kinda DM version of 'The Poseidon Adventure' movie, or 'Deep Blue Sea'.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Poeple have had ideas for partially or full underwater dungoens, but like all dungeon ideas it's hard to get them out in to the world.

I had an idea for two flooded levels, where you would need to swim around, but you could use pits, etc to go up and down, and of course in larger areas you could move around creatures by swimming above/below them. At the bottom of the second level (you'd be going down) there would be the valve to unflood the level, and then you would have to navigate back again - with the trick being that certain doors could only be opened when you could swim to the release, etc, of you'd need to block useful pits to get back when walking.

Any of the cooler tricks I had in mind for that were done far better in Adamski's upside down though!

And oooh, if you were underwater earlier, unless there's a place in the sewers now too, you might have found the entrance to the apprentice rooms. Was there a lot of red footprints on the ground?
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:
And oooh, if you were underwater earlier, unless there's a place in the sewers now too, you might have found the entrance to the apprentice rooms. Was there a lot of red footprints on the ground?
I dont recall seeing any red footprints.But as soon as it happened i just re-booted the game from my last save point.
Its a habit iv had since playing DM.If one of my party gets killed for example i just re-load the game,iv never actually dragged the bones to an altar of VI.It just seems a complete waste of time.
Likewise,if i fall down a pit into an area i know i perhaps shouldn't be in..i tend to just reload my game,and avoid the said pit in future.

Found a new area earlier from the mines that had Death Knights wandering around,but rather than exploring,i just went back up the stairs to the mines because i need to be sure that im ready for such an area,and im still quite happy poking around these mines for the time being.

Found a weird area in the mines called 'Torture chamber'

Questions.
1-Iv got a bunch of gems in my inventory.Are these gems needed? Iv found a couple on this particular level.
2-Whats the deal with the oven alcove in the guilds level? What do you have to do there? It says something about potions
3-Found some Gauntlets.Are these things worth keeping in my inventory,or should i dump them back at my stash in the Guilds?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1. Gems do have a use. Look to any purses carefully, some store items like gems
2. The oven lets you combine the listed ingredients for new items. However, you only get a few uses as you open the guild further, so perhaps best experiment and then restsrt
3. some gauntlets have enchantments, and some creatures hurt to punch! i think i kept a pair handy
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

One of the magic purses i have has an 'invoke' option,But i haven't tried it yet,because i dont know what it is.

Im thinking of leaving the mines for a bit and heading back to the Path of wisdom area to try and destroy the stone Golem that's wandering around by the fountain.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The gauntlets might come in handy :)

I ngeneral I think the magic purses are magic box replacements, but occasionally they are a different kind of magic purse.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:The gauntlets might come in handy :)
Against a Golem???? U serious?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, you haven't punched a golem or a rock monster to death as the quickest way to deal with them? Then again, if you cn berzerk you have a powerful attack. Maybe I'm juust recalling a time way back when I playtested Conflux II, and there was a certain area where it was so much easier to just keep swinging...
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Iv noticed tonight (whilst exploring the Mines) that there is many walls with un-readable writing on them.
Is this normal? Or is it a bug?

Another thing.
I closed the 'Pit D' earlier whilst roaming around the sewers.Is that Pit best left open,or did i do the right thing switching it off?

What exactly is my goal in the Mines? Is there anything specific i should be looking for,or should i move on down the stairs and into the next level with the Death Knights?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sometimes some characters can read the writing, and other times its just for flavour. In the dwarf mines, you would find, for example, Stamm understanding the writing perfectly. Though he shouldn't be the only one... doens't Zed give you hints to it at times?

The Pit D is a homage to an old forum member, but is also a deadly pit (it carries on down through all the levels. So it's best to close it off, yes. Though because it carries on through the levels, you can find it a quick way to get from a to b if you close one below and open one aboe - which is why it is toggleable. Best close it in my opinion, though.

The goal of the mines is to get to the end and carry on to the council level via the mini crypt stairs (and yes, you have already opened ways to the council already in the canteen). However, the mines contains the 1,2,3,4 puzzle that lets you locate the dwaven treasure, there are nooks and crannies with treasure. And one ofthe biggest thigns to find is the fur trader. So you can trade your furs you must have from rat killing, and get a very important item for the fighters guild!

The crypt level is mostly avoidable, but it is a good idea to use the various stairwell (and occasionally pits) to go look around the crypts. Beware the creatures that lurk there - like death knights, zombies and so on - but there are a lot of nooks and crannies there too with some fun items, plus you can try to meet Vechna :)

Oh, wait, I'm being stupid...mines leads to spider level first, then council level...how forgetful :)
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Finally found a Vorpal Blade!!!
In the sewers,discovered an old dude and was then teleported to another area,and the vorpal was in an alcove. :)

Fur trader found. :)

Made it to final area in the fighter guild,and theres just a picture of Halks head in the wall after i used the final Mace in the wall. :?:

Tried exploring the north eastern area in the sewers,but those black caterpillar monsters are way to difficult.Theres also a death knight wandering around in the sewers too,Actually...on the subject of death knight.Weird thing happened earlier again in the guilds.I opened a guild door,and there was a death knight behind it,which chased me to the central area of the starting room (where the stairs to the cellar are),and then a blue haze appeared out of nowhere..and the knight wandered into it,,and teleported away. Weird.

Im still trying to locate a 4th Gold coin so i can use them in that coin slot near to the entrance to the temple.At moment i got 3 gold coins,and a whole bag ful of silver ones.

Which weapon is best to use for my front 2 characters?
I'v got a lightning bolt sword
2 normal swords
2 Mace's of order
and a samurai sword.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The random teleporter in the guild is at the same time an exit for the monsters you persecute and a way to redistribute the riches you've spoiled from the dungeon! You are part of an ecosystem now.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

For the weapons, I'd check the maces descriptions. Special maces would be the better weapons. Otherwise there are some powerful weapons to be gained soon - in the crypt especially.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Zyx wrote:The random teleporter in the guild is at the same time an exit for the monsters you persecute and a way to redistribute the riches you've spoiled from the dungeon! You are part of an ecosystem now.
Hmm. Sounds like i need to find a different place to keep my stash. :|