Survival Art (Well of Fortune 2)

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Survival Art (Well of Fortune 2)

Post by Zed5Duke »

Dark labirynths filled with monsters and traps are ok, but most important element which decide about playability is in my opinion survival elements. Dungeon master is not only one cRPG game which used that reality system, Realms of Arkania- Star Trail is much greater. Many folks say that best cRPG ever is Baldurs Gate, but its some kind of kidtoy without reality survival parts. When you only walk and kill game can be very boring!

So i want increase DM playability by put more realism. This probably will be possible only on RTC. I realise that hi-res graphics and cool dungeon story is not enough. Probably i will build simple labirynth without story, and your only task will be survive. For example you escape from deep castle prison or you explore some old abandoned building for treasures. That second story i used for Whell Of Fortune, there was also some survival parts but i dont finished it as i could.

Here is how i imagine new realistic system:

Hero - You start as totally weak person, during travell you get some experience and get stronger.

Alchemy - Magic is most unreal stuff, instead of it i want create herbal system. That kind of magic will be close to priest, i mean these mixtures in flasks. But how made ingrediens which you use to create potion?

Light - More light sources like lattern, candle

Food - more eatable items and some of them poisonus

Water - water from severs will be poisoned

Also stuff need to explore

Compass (already exist)
Picklocks (should me more usable)
Bed Roll - disease when sleep on stone floor
Hook and rope - for climbing up/down
Translate Book - for understand old scrools
Clothes - without it disease

Reasuming
You are some poor citizen which found old building hidden somewhere on forest hills. In one from city taverns you hear few legends about treasures
inside ancient dungeons. So you decide go there explore it for big money. To made it you need some equipment and you start with basic stuff need to survive. Dangerous are everywhere, its need to drawn map, look on compass and read old wall writings. Its need to find water and foord source and pay attention for poison. Its need to keep light, lockpicks and rope enough. Let say ONLY near entrance you get new equipment generated there, so you need explore it little, and return for supply then try another part of dungeon to explore. Its need to pay attention on traps and monsters, weapons and armors. Game end when you found prior treasure room. There could be many secret rooms filled with gold so winner will be person who will get more (hi-scores table)

Explore abandoned dungeon, survive and get treasure.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

this looks very 'Oblivion' and i do enjoy basic stuff like this :)
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Some new concepts:

I think best option is to build it on RTC using DM2 stuff. So you start inside tavern where some folks tell legends (buy scrolls for beer), also schop where you can buy equipment. When game start you got only few coins which is enough to but candle, rope and dagger. Then forest outside and dungeon entrance which you found during travells around city/village. You can explore it and found more coins to buy better equipment: torch, locpicks, food rations, translate scrolls and return to explore deep parts of dungeon. All adventure is to find money for more exploration and better treasures. Game end when you found dragon treasure in last dungeon level.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I can't wait to play another one of your dungeons, Zed, since WOF 1 was such a good dungeon! Looks like you have some interesting ideas for this new dungeon. I especially like the idea of poisonous food and water.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

food is a rather powerful means of control over the characters, and I believe that it would be best to have some ways of at least being able to
detect poisionous food /and /or water. But maybe that is just me, so
nevermind.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Not a bad idea in my opinion...either that or get used to checking food before you eat it...
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I made some progress.

Platform
-First i tryed to make it under RTC: because schop where buy items, and outdoors. But its too slow and dificulty so i return to CSBwin. Less ambitious but faster, and i got best experience using it.

Supply
-In every labirynth level you may find coin, you can use it near entrance on coin slot. There will be teleported chest with items like food and torches. It should look like return outside to buy supply for more exploration. Everytime you use coin will be teleported near entrance another chest contain different items, many of them as dungeon levels. I tested that system and its work, look good, much easy than schop.

Treasure
-Your task is to find that many gems as you can, they may just lay on floor, hidden behind riddles or weild by monsters. Amount of gems will be your hi-score. So its game about exploration abandoned dungeon for richness.

Hero
-Its single hero dungeon, you are some traveller who find strange entrance on forest hills. You are very curious about that place, there is no save world background story. Visions of treasures put you deep into labirynth and you cant stop it. You dont have magic points and any experience skills, but have some equipment (in typical game you start naked)

Graphics
-Many new ones! and i known how fix some graph problems which i got before (when game end was some noices, but now look normal)

Progress
-First level, testing realism systems "return for supply" "play without magic" "starting equipment" "no save world story" (work fine)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Zed5Duke wrote: In every labirynth level you may find coin, you can use it near entrance on coin slot. There will be teleported chest with items like food and torches.
Ooh, now that's what I call a game I'd like! :)
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Survival Art demo (CSBwin)

Its very short (2-3 levels), cant find time to finish it. It contain new graphics which you may use in own dungeon. Search coins and return near entrance where buy supply and tavern clues (old legends) then go for more exploration.. and again.

Story: Prison was build on ruins of ancient dungeon to save some kingdom money. But some day from deep levels come evil beast which kill half guards and prisoners. You are highlander who travell trough hills and found that old abandoned building. You dont known what lurk in darkness but vision of treasures is so strongh that you dont fear go down.

Just survive and get some treasures. But remember less money you spend on supply, more you got in treasure chest. When you will be very carefull you return with nothing. You can be very rich but without supply its risk so greed may finally kill you.