CSBWin - The Sword of Destiny - DEMO

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

CSBWin - The Sword of Destiny - DEMO

Post by Trantor »

Hi all, as some of you may know, I started working on my own dungeon quite a while ago, but haven't gotten round to doing anything about it for some time now. Frankly, I am not even sure if it's worth finishing the dungeon, as, being the uncreative person that I am, I work very slowly on these things, and I'm not too satisfied with what I have so far. Then I thought that you, the intended audience, are probably the best to judge. What I have done so far is about 45-60 minutes of gameplay. It is rather thoroughly tested, I hope there are no dead-ends. I won't give away what my goal was when I started designing as I'd like to hear some unbiased opinions about it. I know it could certainly use some new graphics, but I haven't really looked into how to incorporate them into CSBWin. I may rebuild the dungeon in RTC. Oh yeah, and should this dungeon ever be finished, the title is probably going to change - I'm not very good at this.

The following file should contain everything you need to play - just download it, unzip and start CSBWin.exe. If you can enter the castle, you have done all there is to do so far.

http://www.file-upload.net/download_03. ... 1.ZIP.html

STORY: Young Alex Ander is an adventurer like so many others, but fortune wasn't kind on him in his previous life. At least not until the day where he learned of a legendary magical sword that shall be hidden somewhere near the city of Tarusis. Alex travels to Tarusis in hope of finding that sword and becoming both rich and famous.

Any feedback is very appreciated! :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Well, I think it's pretty good, though of course using "outdoor" wallsets might be better for the "forest" and such parts. I found one puzzle in the forest a little unclear, which I told you about in FlashChat.

I also think the Crematory is a little strange, both in its solution (I got it totally randomly) and the fact that it seems like you could make the game unsolvable if you weren't careful. Given the fact that the whole area seems to encourage randomly messing around to find the solution, I'm not sure if making the game unwinnable by too much messing around is the right course of action.

I love the zoo, though.

I'd love to see this in RTC-- provided you're not using too much in the way of DSAs it should be a fairly direct port. :)
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Is the planned name change because people might call it "The Sod" for short? :lol:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Des wrote:Is the planned name change because people might call it "The Sod" for short? :lol:
Didn't think of that, but it might actually be a reason to keep the name...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

People will play it because they think it is devilishly harsh you mean : )
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Just gave this one a go. I bought some clothes for 1 copper, killed the screamers in the zoo, went through the main doors, beat up more screamers in the forest and collected a waterskin. As the little green buggers seemed to be regenerating I decided this must be a training area so went and played with the narrow bridge to no avail.

So have I missed something obvious? Should I return to the forest and fight on?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

There is something to do in the forest other than fighting. I'll be honest, the clue there is a little blunt, but you should get a text message on a certain tile that should hint at something (think of Towers of Chaos on that one). There is nothing to do at the bridge yet. Oh, and thanks a lot for trying it out! :D
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I wasn't brave enough to kill the zoo screamers. Memories of a certain room in CSB, I think... ;)

Des, this puzzle stumped me for a little while, too. It might be easier when you think in terms of the paltry few items you have available to you this early-- the solution becomes almost inevitable.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The puzzle was easy enough, I just hadn't fought my way through to it on the first go (too much backing off - I blame Conflux III) D'oh!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i really like this classic dungeon : different places to explore, city, shops, forest.
trantor, you made a dungeon with something that i haven't seen a lot in recent custom dungeons : coherence.