Conflux Bug? Cannot get flask

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Christoph
Craftsman

Conflux Bug? Cannot get flask

Post by Christoph »

Hello,

in Conflux 3.5 beta 8, having finally got many Kath Vinegars, I wanted to trade in a flask, but that doesn't work. The scroll wants "three potions", does that mean three items in total, or three vinegars along with one of each of the other items, or three of each kind?

If I really need only one liqueur, something is definitely wrong here, nothing happens at all if I put the other items into the alcove.

I've seen something weird at this place before: I got a "needs more practice with this priest spell" message by putting an item into the alcove, doing this repeatedly raised my priest level.

Another thing wich might be significant: I started the game with original CSB data files somewhere in CSBwin's file search path, which, as I realized later, let the game use some CSB images instead of changed Conflux graphics. At least one of those persisted in my save game even after changing the paths: Leif appears as a fly/insect, not with his normal portrait.

I've seen other things reverting to normal after the path correction, as far as I can tell.

In the guild level, I opened up the ninja area completely, but one giggler vanished apparently into a wall with a few of my items there. Is this normally possible? I cannot find the creature at any accessible place there.
Christoph
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Bug? Cannot get flask

Post by beowuuf »

Portraits are saved in the saved game file, everythign else should be in the graphics.dat

Are you sure you have the Zo liqeur and not just a SAR wine? It is only one vinegar, one Ven egg, and one zo liqeur. If this doens't work, it's a bug :( Haven't played the newest release I don't think, so can't confirm it works)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

beowuuf wrote:Portraits are saved in the saved game file, everythign else should be in the graphics.dat
What I've got, and what I have put on the floors must also be in the save file. Perhaps the Zo Liqeur from CSB is somehow different? Items have slightly different names in comparison to those I find here and on the map.

Weird behaviour seen so far:
  • I've found "magic purses", which have been some different object in CSB. They can "FREEZE" in hand for one time, looking around I found those must be "Icewinds". They look like small grey bags. Before correcting the path this was a potion, I think.
    I found a "Kath bomb" and another one ("Pev" or "Peb"?) "before"; they became invisible in the inventory, but looked like a potion on the floor, and changed to some other objects after the correction.
    I found "chokers" which I could wear around the neck "before". Those became "snapdragons" with their normal abilities "afterwards". Nothing was wrong with those, so I thought that all objects must have reverted to normal.
    I've got a sword "vorpal blade", whis should be a "voidness edge" according to the documents I found on the internet. The name did not change in pure Conflux.
    "Before" there were DM-like "Screamers" which dropped their normal food items when slain. "Afterwards" they became "trees" dropping branches (which "Screamers" never did) and "chewer pods" (stored "screamer" food was converted as well). This conversion seems to be perfect like "Chokers" -> "Snapdragons".
As you can see, it is not just a graphics issue. I thought, however, that only "pointers" to an item's properties are stored in the save game, so everything would be corrected automatically. I'm not so sure any more, because some names lasted. Why should something be called "vorpal blade" in CSB, being renamed to "voidness edge" in early Conflux versions, just to be renamed back in the latest Conflux?
beowuuf wrote:Are you sure you have the Zo liqeur and not just a SAR wine? It is only one vinegar, one Ven egg, and one zo liqeur. If this doens't work, it's a bug :( Haven't played the newest release I don't think, so can't confirm it works)
I've taken a look another time: it IS the correct item according to image and description, and other than those I mentioned above, this one was the same in CSB apart from a slightly different flask graphics.
beowuuf wrote:It is only one vinegar, one Ven egg, and one zo liqeur. If this doens't work, it's a bug :( Haven't played the newest release I don't think, so can't confirm it works)
Hasn't 3.5 beta 8 changed something there?

I'd really like to know how all this works and what is wrong.
Christoph
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Send me a savegame about the three potions, I'll check.
The graphics.dat holds graphics and items properties, linked actions, authorized slots, monsters' characteristics, etc. Playing with the wrong file can break mechanisms in Conflux.
I reverted the vorpal blade to its original name because I liked it better.
Leif kept the csb graphic in your savegame because the entire character, portrait included, is saved in the savegame.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

Hello,
Zyx wrote:Send me a savegame about the three potions, I'll check.
how do I do that? I don't find a file attachment function here or in the PM, and haven't got any email address of yours.
Zyx wrote:The graphics.dat holds graphics and items properties, linked actions, authorized slots, monsters' characteristics, etc. Playing with the wrong file can break mechanisms in Conflux.
Yes, I've seen it doing different things with the two files. At first, I could only burn branches, changed items had the wrong properties; I could choose "War Cry" for the hands, this is not possible with only Conflux files present. I wonder how it found the correct "dungeon.dat", but took the CSB files first, though. I must have made a mistake regarding the CSBwin paths search order.
Zyx wrote:I reverted the vorpal blade to its original name because I liked it better.
Did you also change the Freeze-Thing to "Magic Purse"? I've started a game from scratch, and found those in the Cellar. All the maps I found refer to it as "Icewinds", even one (for beta 6) which seems to be automatically generated from the game's data files.
Zyx wrote:Leif kept the csb graphic in your savegame because the entire character, portrait included, is saved in the savegame.
After reverting to the correct file, the portrait at the guild wall wasn't empty any more, there was a new Leif with the correct portrait now.

Does the saved game file also hold the items in the inventory and their properties? Perhaps I was carrying a buggy Zo potion with me. If so, I'm confused why no other items have become bugged. I always thought of item slots as simple pointers to the actual objects.
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

[partly solved] Bug? Cannot get flask

Post by Christoph »

Zyx wrote:Send me a savegame about the three potions, I'll check.
Never mind, I just misunderstood the game; there is no bug, at least not there. I've not bothered looking around the corner for the flask, because I thought the "gifts" had to vanish in the alcove to be traded in. The flask has indeed appeared.

Two more questions, though:

I forgot which item i need for the "gem" lock in the vinegar and trees area. I'm not sure whether a giggler has stolen the item. Can I find this sort of "stones" elsewhere or could the key be lost? Is this the same as the one I need in the long corridors' area around the guild to reacht the room with the green monsters and the pit? Perhaps I've spent it there, then.

As I asked earlier, is it possible that a giggler vanishes at the end of the ninja corridor somewhere inside a wall? I kept seeing the dark "attack cloud", but could not find the originating creature any more. Where could this one be now?
Christoph
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: [partly solved] Bug? Cannot get flask

Post by Zyx »

Christoph wrote:Did you also change the Freeze-Thing to "Magic Purse"? I've started a game from scratch, and found those in the Cellar. All the maps I found refer to it as "Icewinds", even one (for beta 6) which seems to be automatically generated from the game's data files.
I guess I did. Slightly obsolete maps are a good things, from my point of view!
Christoph wrote: Does the saved game file also hold the items in the inventory and their properties?
No, except dynamical properties like charges.

Christoph wrote:Never mind, I just misunderstood the game; there is no bug, at least not there. I've not bothered looking around the corner for the flask, because I thought the "gifts" had to vanish in the alcove to be traded in. The flask has indeed appeared.
Oh yes, I remember now, expectations should be high after a very long, hard quest to get the three items (in particular if it's the first time and you couldn't get a flask by other means). The plan was to disconcert and disappoint the player for a little while before he finds the reward. If you think I'm cruel, remember that Gandalf did the same with the children asking for fireworks in the movie!
I forgot which item i need for the "gem" lock in the vinegar and trees area. I'm not sure whether a giggler has stolen the item. Can I find this sort of "stones" elsewhere or could the key be lost? Is this the same as the one I need in the long corridors' area around the guild to reacht the room with the green monsters and the pit? Perhaps I've spent it there, then.
Let's see if you can solve this between players.
As I asked earlier, is it possible that a giggler vanishes at the end of the ninja corridor somewhere inside a wall? I kept seeing the dark "attack cloud", but could not find the originating creature any more. Where could this one be now?
He was teleported, the haze appeared only a brief moment. He can be anywhere now! But you will find it eventually...