Currently making a CSB dungeon.

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Alichino
Neophyte

Currently making a CSB dungeon.

Post by Alichino »

Hello everyone in the forums.

So I've started making a dungeon based on the CSB engine. I'm using ADGE v0.4b, CSBuild325 and a graphics software. I'm planning to change some of the weapons, keys and some other items + monsters to give my dungeon a breeze of freshness. I am not planning to change anything in the code, as I know very little about programming.
Is there a way to increase the number of colours in the palettes? 16 seems pretty low, lol.
If anyone is interested in collaborating, I'll accept any offers of help.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Currently making a CSB dungeon.

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, welcome to the forums! I haven't done any work in CSBWin for years, so I can't really help you on that. One of our members, Zyx, has the most experience with it (he built the awesome Conflux dungeon for CSBWin) -- hopefully he'll be able to offer you some advice.

If you're looking to do higher quality graphics, you might prefer the newer DSB or RTC engines which both allow for true colour images (and alpha transparency).
Alichino
Neophyte

Post by Alichino »

Oh wow, I've just looked at the RTCEditor, and on first look it seems way more advanced than the tools I mentioned above. Gotta look deeper into that. Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I don't beleive you can get passed the hard limit of

Rasmus has off and on been working on improving the CSBwin engine with the ability to look around more, and also increased graphical support. I think that if you carry on your dungeon with the 16 colour limitations, but keep higher colour versions of these graphics in the background, who knows what may happen in the future. You might also want to see what Rasmus is doing now, as you might get some synergy working together if he still has any time/inclination

Certainly download the 'source' of Conflux, not for the main dungeon, but for the side file where Zyx has added wallsets under the limited colour palette, and also has added multiple wall sets and monsters. It's all possible in CSBwin, and zyx even did some tutorials available in the CSBwin forums, but also looking at his actual files might help you immeasureable.

Good luck!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Welcome to the forums! I'm looking forward to playing your dungeon. :D

Personally, I don't care if you use 16 colours or 16 billion colours, I'm more interested into the puzzles and fights and so on, but of course it's up to you. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

DSB is even more advanced, and if you were ok with with working in CSBwin you probably won't be bothered by its limitations. ;)
Alichino
Neophyte

Post by Alichino »

I'm getting an error message. After I've saved a champion and go to Utility to make new adventure of my dungeon, it says New Adventure is Damaged :(
Does anyone know what causes that?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think you can only use the first saved game slot?

Also, you don't have to use the prison/new adventure for a custom dungeon, you can create a single dungeon to play under
Alichino
Neophyte

Post by Alichino »

How do I do that with CSBBuild/CSBWin? When I put champions in, they are all BOGUS CHAMPION with terrible stats...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

When I put champions in, they are all BOGUS CHAMPION with terrible stats...
This is done in the same way that Dungeon Master
does it.
The way Dungeon Master works is:

Put a Champion Portrait on the wall.
Put a text actuator on the floor in front of the wall,
where you will stand when you play the game.
Edit the text to define the champion's experience,
possessions, etc.

Use the CSBuild text editor and select 'Edit Champion'.

Write back if you still cannot figure it out.
Alichino
Neophyte

Post by Alichino »

OK, I got it, thanks.
But now I have some other problems, lol. One is that level 0 (prison start level) is dark, and level, to which the party gets teleported from lvl 0 is bright, and I don't know where to set that :/
Also, is there a way to set a door to be opened by the ZO spell?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Dunno about most of it as I've never tried building a dungeon in CSBWin, but as far as I'm aware, Zo spells only work on button-doors. If a door is operated by a key or other means, a Zo spell won't work - it has to be a door with a button in the frame beside it.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Sophia wrote:DSB is even more advanced, and if you were ok with with working in CSBwin you probably won't be bothered by its limitations. ;)
Pity nobody has taken up the gauntlet yet!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, a ZO spell only affects a push button door, and you need to set the level 'depth' to be 0 to have it be light (I believe available in the global variables of the level). There is no independant light setting.