Towers of chaos

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
terkio
Mon Master

Towers of chaos

Post by terkio »

I just started CSBwin TOC 3.3
I am stuck at "Sacrifice a team member". How I do that ?
That is at the end of a corridor: Stuck at a portuculi, a demon face on the right wall, the message on the left wall.
I have tried every piece of junk I carry on the demon face.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Towers of chaos

Post by Phoenix »

If I remember correctly, you need to touch the face with the bones of a champion.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks.
Then I had tough creatures that killed all but one. Then the game bugged, I had creatures doing no harm and could not harm them either.
The place looks pretty violent and it is not clear to me what I am supposed to do about two super heros with near maximum stats and/or champions with normal stats.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

It seemed to me that those champions were really there for debugging purposes. If you just started the dungeon and are already at the sacrifice section, you kind of have taken a false path, so that may be why you are facing difficulties. By going that route, you've bypassed large sections of the dungeon and may face doors that can't be unlocked from that side. Try restarting the dungeon and go down the pit instead of taking the secret teleporter.
Spoiler
If you've found the hidden "super" champions, you've also found the best weapon in the game. That lightsaber is excellent.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks again, you are perfectly right.
Spoiler
I had ruled out climbing down the pit, where I only met instant death
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

You're welcome. :-) TOC is a cool dungeon, and the only thing I wish it had was a method of determining the properties of armor/clothing other than trial and error.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

How did you pass The "Hit and run" at level 02.
There are eleven switches with pits that only stay closed for 2 seconds or walls that only stay open for 2 seconds.
IMO That is impossible !
Spoiler
This speed puzzle gives the access to the second skeleton key, which is a must to enter the fortress

Am I supposed to use the CSBwin lowest speed setting ( "Glacial" ) ?
Am I suppose to edit the game with CSBuid ? Butchering this puzzle !

I saw that CSBuild delays cannot be more than 16 1/56 second ( 2.7 second ).
Edited: Maximum delay is 15 1/6 second ( 2.5 second ).
Last edited by terkio on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

It's actually quite possible, but you have to get the timing just right. Each button opens access to the next button in the sequence, but you can't make any mistakes and you have to take advantage of illusionary walls. It's quite a tough puzzle, but it's definitely possible to complete. That being said, if you can't solve it, don't worry. If I remember correctly, there's only some clothing, food and a skeleton key(i think) behind the gate.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Ten, hit button, run to the next one.
One must memorize ten different key stroke sequences for the runs and execute every one in less than 2 seconds. All ten with no pause, no mistake.

Finally, I found the answer.
Spoiler
The "hit and run" is a red hering, there is a false wall corridor that bypasses completely this impossible speed puzzle
Spoiler
A very good joke. Now this sroll makes sense: "The obvious is not always the best way"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Believe it or not, it can be done. The trick for all speed puzzles is to drop as much of your inventory as possible. If you follow the pattern, the last switch will close the pit and open the gate.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I thought, the speed is the same as long as the load indicator doesn't turn to yellow.

The game is very good. There are very clever puzzles, but some are too tough IMHO.

I had taken the stuff on the floor at the secret room at the Hall of champions.
2 skeleton keys, 3 gems green blue orange, 2 mirrors of dawn.
I realized it is a bad idea to use them, that is because it unbalances the game.
it seems good to gain easy access to many parts, but I realised it is no good. I was lost with too many options.
So I played as if I was not owning those. Then it became easier, doing things in the right sequence following a linear scenario.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I don't know what's exactly involved the code, but I've always found it easier to do speed puzzles by droping to bare minimum inventory unless my entire party has speed boots. I tend to prefer the load boost from elven boots though.

I agree with you 100% on the keys/gems/mirrors. I also found that to be true the last time I went through this dungeon. I just can't resist taking the light saber and the flask. A flask is one of the first things I search for in any dungeon (Especially Conflux). As for the saber, well, you need to get to Expert Fighter before it gets awesome anyway.

3.2 was the last version of this dungeon that I've played, so I'll have to check out 3.3.
Tough? If you really want to see tough, play Conflux.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I think there is a major flaw.
Spoiler
Once you have left the room where you find the two mirrors of dawn, there is no way to enter there again, you are teleported to the market
Spoiler
So if you don' carry the mirrors while leaving the place, you' ll be stuck
Another minor flaw.
There is a room where you will be locked up. Nothing important here, but there is no way out.
Before the door there is a tiny switch to open it, just after you enter the room a pad closes the door. Then there is no way to reopen the door..
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

If I remember correctly, I got the mirrors from a couple of dragons. I'm a collector whenever I play, so I wouldn't have come across this issue. Rocks, sticks and cursed objects (Deth Knight equipement) are the only things I leave in any given room. I've also found it usefull to always carry a useless object (rock/stick/etc...) for those pad/nitches that need a weighted object (if it just needs an object, the Zo Kath Ra spell is the way to go).

As for the second, are you talking about the church? If not, I'm not sure exactly where this room you are talking about is.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I took a quick look at 3.3 and I realize now that I was confusing this dungeon with Black Flame. Severus is the weapon I was refering to, not the lightsaber from Black Flame.
Sorry if I confused anyone.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

As for the second, are you talking about the church? If not, I'm not sure exactly where this room you are talking about is.
This room, where you' ll be locked up, has a crown of nera in a square alcove and a jewel symbal.
The room is at the same level where you find the two mirrors of dawn.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Do you mean the hallway with the nasty gargoyle/couatl?
Spoiler
The iron door can be fireballed to get free.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Yes, that is the hall way with a powerful gargoyle. Yes, there is a way to "open" the door, I overlooked.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I am at the end.
I have an equipped firestaff.
I have a Grey lord that doesn' t move, a gentle Order lord fouling around and a nasty Chaos lord roaming the place.

I fluxcaged/fused Chaos Lord. No luck, he teleports.
Same about Order Lord.

Is the game completed ? What is the end ?
"I shall spread terror
and destruction once again" cackled the Dark Lord and took the exhausted Grey Lord to the bottom of the
tower with the staff.
Lord Order was not amused, he wanted the staff himself so he sent a huge and powerful Dragon down to retreive
it. However the Dragon had other ideas... he swallowed the Grey Lord and the Staff and became even more
powerful! Order and Chaos then built a fort to keep people out and the Dragon in while they decided how to
retrieve the one thing they both craved.

Librasulus sends you forth into the tower to kill the Dragon, rescue the Grey Lord and Firestaff and to restore balance
again to the universe!
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I'm not sure how you have a firestaff without killing Lord Grey.
Spoiler
I think the order of the ending is kill the Grey lord for the firestaff, drop down to the lowest level to get the gem and comlete the firestaff, kill Lord Order(this takes a while as he's got a ton of hitpoints), then fluxcage and fuze Lord Chaos for the end. You might not have fully fluxcaged Lord Chaos or it might not work unless Lord Grey and Lord Order are dead.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

No need to kill the Grey Lord to get the staff.
Spoiler
Killing the dragon who swallowed the Grey lord, gives a Grey Lord a staff and a scroll
His scroll tells: Take the staff and restore balance to me.

Edited:
At last. Game completed.

PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hello, this is a blast from the past! Glad you enjoyed the dungeon.

It is possible to dead end if you forget some items - but I thought they were obvious to collect. I think there is a v3.4 where there are a few fixes.

One of my goals with the dungeon was to undo the way of usual thinking, ie the speed puzzle can be done, but some puzzles often had multiple answers. Not always the most obvious route, and usually an easier route!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

One of my goals with the dungeon was to undo the way of usual thinking
yes, something different, couldn't agree more.
keep your gor coin handy
jiri
Novice

Post by jiri »

I finished game without necessity to complete the firestaff because dead Lord Order dropped "Completed firestaff". It was not my goal to kill Lord Order but he was killed by fireball shooter in the room. So for me there was no need to complete the firestaff dropped by Dragon. I am not sure if it was intention of creator to create such simplified ending.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

He's supposed to be immune to everything but telefragging, very odd! It's been many years since I've looked at the game, I'll have to fire my computer up :)