Tower of Chaos 3.3 - Bugs or magic?

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
luke41
Craftsman

Tower of Chaos 3.3 - Bugs or magic?

Post by luke41 »

Hi,

For few days I am playing the Tower of Chaos, version 3.3. Downloaded from http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1484, playing under Linux, using Paul R Stevens newest Linux-based CSBwin.
The fun of making my maps alone and having no hints in internet is a great feeling, like the first Dungeon Master times in the late 80ties.
But here by making maps I have found mistakes, I think - or maybe "unexpected" teleporters. So far I am on the levels with the gardens, so I will try to describe the places where it seems paths/rooms should not exist - because "on the other side" where I went before due to coordinates there should be a wall.

1. Garden1: The place in the garden with the plate (which triggers the birth of screamers few steps behind). From the plate going straight till the end of this path there are 7 steps (=8 spaces). OK. But when I take the path to the castle, and then go clockwise (left) around the castle, this path overlaps with the path (and the walls) before. (Sorry I cant post a map here, I write the map in an OpenOffice-Table sheet). So again, starting from the plate :
(since I dont have any compass yet, I assume "east" is the direction to the castle)
- Path1 (screamers): Plate - E - E - E - E - E - E - E - E (End). All around are walls, the 7th and 8th space is broader to the right, ie "south")
- Path 2 (to the castle): Plate - S - S - S - E - S - S - E - E - E - E - E - E (standing in front of the castle). When now I would go N, after 3 or 4 steps I should be stopped by the southern wall of the last space of the previous path, - but I can continue to the corner of the castle...

OK, here I could assume a teleporter somewhere on the 2nd path, but:

2. Outside Castle, entrance to the Oitu-Room: Actually the entrance not to the (first) Oitu-room, but the entrance to the empty hall before ("south-west" corner of the castle, near the bread).
I enter "west" (W) and stand in the door. Then again W so I am in the room. Then I turn left and go the corridor to the oitus (S - E). And the room after E (and the following if I continue S) has (have) a wall on both sides - while the walls to the left (going to oitus) should overlap with the way outside (between castle and the stone-room I entered)??

3. Norhern garden: After firebombing the wooden door I make 6 steps forward (N N N N N N ), turn left, go 3 steps (W W W), turn left again, 2 steps (S S), turn right, 1 step (W), turn left, open door (3 screamers inside the room). And due to my maps already before entering the room the space I am overlaps with the norht-west walls of the "Miscellany" and with the former part of the dungeon where there lie the "eastern" bones.

I hope someone has a map and you can check it.

Phenomenon of disappearing monsters: Garden / Rooms:
1. When fighting the oitus I used the tactic to let one oitu out their room (door closes then), and run back thru the corridors to the room I mentioned before. Here, when I LEAVE the room to outside, the oitu does not follow me. When I enter (just so I stand in the door) I can see it. After few times of "step-in-and-out-and-in" - thr oitu is gone!!! I can go back to the oitu room, and dont meet him on the way? Any explanation? Oitu teleporting?

2. The same in the northern garden: The two ghosts (skulls) followed me from the room with the teleporter in the middle. I run back (always seeing them) to the corridor I mentioned above (after the firebombed wooden door). The ghosts entered the corridor only by one step, not further. After a while and my step-back- and - forth: they were gone? I ran after then into the garden area (faster as they usually move) - and no trace of them...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: Tower of Chaos 3.3 - Bugs or magic?

Post by Paul Stevens »

I'd be happy to post a map from CSBuild if I
knew what level you need. I don't want to
post all of them....there are a lot.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi Paul,

I am currently in the level with Church, Market Place, Forest etc. So in the beginning.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Unfortunately, I have never played the game.
I have no idea where these areas are located.
On level 1 I see a corridor on the SE quadrant
that has a pad and Screamer generator. Perhaps
that is the one

luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot. As I see the directions in my maps are correct - so my party (Gothmog & Azizi) had a good orientation feeling even withpout a compass :-)
So I think the solution to the "overlapping" cells seems solved: in the both "garden"-cases (seen on map) - the answer is that there are small teleporters (yellow cells, right), moving the party a few steps west or north respecitvely. The castle seems to be another level, probably the party jumps there from the yellow teleporter cell south-east from the screamer-plate. And here the overlapping problem can be realized very quickly, you just enter a room, go left-forward and see a corridor with a left wall which should "physically" not be there...

Any idea about the "monster disappearing" phenomenon? I replayed this again, in this way killing two nasty ghosts...

Since I probably wont answer in this year, I wish you all a Happy New Year 2016!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Again, let me say that I have no idea what you mean
by "Northern Garden", "Outside Castle", etc. I have
not attempted to play the game.

I could post the complete ASCII dump of the design.
It is difficult to study but it has all the information
about every cell of the dungeon, the monsters, etc.
I can post additional maps if you tell me the level numbers.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi,

This dungeon was originally made for the PC version of the game. It has since been converted to CSB4WIn, using the same editor maps

In order to make a large 'one level area', I used teleporters and careful placement of decoration to try and seamlessly move the party from one map or 'level' to another. This will create the two anomalies you are seeing - that is drawn, linear maps slightly overlapping in places on a square by square basis, and the monsters teleporting from one area to the other.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Actually, having a quick look at the editor, I can see that most of the teleporters are party and objects only - so the monsters will wonder into the area further that are for the seamless decoration. Hence you can move, and the the monster will seemingly disappear! In reality it is you that have teleported.

One however will teleport the monsters... and may kill some in the process as they teleport to a new area. I left that in to attenuate skeletons and beholders that could over produce in certain circumstances. Objects and needed items cannot go missing though - I can see why it can cause confusion, but was a limitation in the original editors.