Any new dungeons on the way?

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Paul S already has a money changer demo that could help. I think everyone tries to do shops...shops are fun!
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I've already analyzed that... since one of my dungeon maps include gem mines I'm planning on making a 'gem-cash' converter (Not to mention the money changer. We'll see how it works out.

By shops I mean like those from DM2 - pushbuttons for rotating the selection on one wall. Alcove one for money, alcove two for items and possibly the Shopkeeper looking from behind a barred window between them in the middle.

I'm a bit displeased that I can't change the light levels of dungeon levels other than level 0. Not to mention the start location always has to be level 0. It spoiled some of my design ( The start would be on level 4 ) and I had to chage the concept a bit.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I mean there there is a money changer demo on his download page somewhere which had been expanded to a small shop - I could be wrong...

Yeah, I want try a DM2 like shop too... DSAs make if very, very possible...but one step at a time...

And if you want something in CSBwin, you can always ask Paul nicely - if he isn't busy, it's reasonable, and useful, and will be used then he isn't adversed to trying to add stuff - thank Zyx for half of the functionality we have, as he asked for it for things in Conflux
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Well, Adamo, Paul asked the same question a bit earlier and I answered right before your post, but that has changed now. I did do some DSAing, still staring at my topic "Fuse Chaos does effect other than Victory(CSBuild)" in the CSBuild/CSBWin section. I got a bit of work on there, but once I've figured that out, I just need to test it. I'm pretty close, just need to figure out filters properly.
PaulH wrote: My dungeon is just a great big nasty mess of raw work at the moment,
Hopefully this mess gets sorted out soon.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Suule, put the start location on a teleporter directing to level 4.
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but you can set other dungeon levels to permanent lighting.

For conflux, I'm currently working on custom graphics and monsters AI. I'm waiting for some art from [subtle hint for them]Cowsmanaut and Gambit, too. [/subtle hint for them].
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I wouldn't be so embarrassed if I hadn't done that teleporter trick myself ...
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Zyx wrote:Suule, put the start location on a teleporter directing to level 4.
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but you can set other dungeon levels to permanent lighting.

For conflux, I'm currently working on custom graphics and monsters AI. I'm waiting for some art from [subtle hint for them]Cowsmanaut and Gambit, too. [/subtle hint for them].
How can I make permament light then (And yes. I meant that.) Yeah I thought of the teleporter trick, but without the permament light it doesn't work as planned... I've used teleports for something clever though... :twisted:

Also: Please wait with another Conflux release. I must complete release j still! Have mercy on us!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Set the experience multiplier to 0 on the local level settings.

Have mercy? Me? I've got plenty. Burried under the basement.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Zyx wrote:
For conflux, I'm currently working on custom graphics and monsters AI
If you`ll find, what are these "unknown" and "unused(used)" functions in monster`s editor in ADGE responsible for, please let us know to the "strange values in monster`s editor" topic on "other tools (ADGE etc.)" forum. Thanx!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

After an extended time in the DM wilderness, I'm back into fertile realms, playing Taurogg's Lair and working on completing the pucker version of Angel's Egg. It probably won't be massively different from the beta version, the changes being general improvements rather than big customisations using ADGE and DSA - these will feature in my next effort.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Adamo wrote:monster`s editor in ADGE
That just got me interested in ADGE! I haven't used ADGE before, and I didn't even know what it was.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ADDF, you can change some of monster`s attributes and almost all graphic bitmaps in ADGE. There`s also other usefull editors, such us items - editor etc.
Have fun, but watch out with some functions and save changed graphic.dat frequently !! You have to be carefull and remember to keep previous unchanged graphics.dat files in save place!
Graphic bitmaps you can change with most graphic programs, but remember about their size (some sizes doesn`t fit).
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Wow, that sounds cool!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yes ADDF, have a go with ADGE... But please only ask questions once you have had an inlength experiment with the programme.

And as Adamo said, save often.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Paul H wrote:And as Adamo said, save often
And the readme.
Actually...that wasn't really a question, I was just saying that I was wondering.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Ok, I would like to say that I am working on my first dungeon. I'm trying everything I can think of: tons of puzzles, a few graphics changes, etc. I'm sure it won't be very good, and maybe never very playable, but it's a start for me as a dungeon creator. Oh, and I'm not giving a time estimate, as I have studies to attend to as well as very fickle interests. Anyway, I hope to be able to make something as cool as Paul's and Zyx's dungeons one day.

I could use some tips on dungeon testing. Can you save your game, change the dungeon, and load the game with the changes?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, the save game stores the entire dungeon in the original FTL games, and in RTC while the save game is separate, it needs to match the dungeon exactly.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In CSBwin, you coul actually edit not the dungeon, but the savegame itself TyGuy. The savegames are very similar to the dungeon.dat, as the whole dungeon is saved as it currently is. So, editing the savegame should yield the desired result.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Editing a savegame is pointless while developing a new dungeon as you'd have to do the work again in the actual dungeon.dat.

Better to use test characters with stats you expect for the bit you want to test, then use teleporters to get there.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree with you Gambit, I only meant it could be worthwhile to edit a savegame if you only want to check a certain effect works the way it was intended. I definitely should have made that point clearer.

For general testing purposes, I suggest a test character that gets teleported right to the point where you did your latest work. That way, you only have to change the teleporter exit.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Unles you are working on a saved game dungeon : )

After testing with a test (boosted) character, always replay your dungeon al the way through with normal characters - monster balance, how transdiditions betwen areas feel and also food/water levels are important!
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

I didn't know that about saved games. How do you check the characters' stats in a saved game? Can you edit those in CSBuild?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nope, you can't - and to check a characters stats, you will need to look at it during the game! (so no checking of luck, etc)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

One thing I have noticed is that everyone seems to want to make epic dungeons - we don't really have any small dungeons, say just a few levels. I think there would be a lot of interest in this. You could make the dungeon hard to start with, make advanced characters and maybe even get people to have competitions with races. Even one level! Just a thought.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The idea of Dungelettes, DMbites, or whatever you want to call them was something that crossed my mind before - a quick 2 hour blast with resurrected characters could be just the thing for lunchtimes at work or a quick fix at home.

I think the two main problems are that players enjoy building up characters gradually, and designers want to create an immersive adventure with a story behind it - hard to do in 2 levels. On the other hand designers may well get nice little ideas that don't have much mileage in them - these would be ideal.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You could always have, like, a big dungeon in which you build up a story and characters, and then have little dungeons you make after it that are like "Further Adventures", where you'd have some of the same characters from your big dungeon so it was, like, still the same universe, but in a much more compacted environment for a more short-term game.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I have a small dungeon - five levels, small temple...just never got around to it, but maybe one day! Not small at all.

Umm, and this dungeon I started was supposed to be small too ... it was like 'I just want o build somethign nice and simple with a level of cool fighting in an enjoyable way, a level of good solid puzzles, and some nice ending'

Themn I started thinking about a plot and ideas and then DSAs and that was it....
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

O.K. My dungeon is close to being done. :D How do you think I should upload the files? Is there a good server out there for dungeons? I'll have a friend do a test run, then I'll zip it up and launch it before the 11th. 8) Hopefully.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Anything below 200k (or was that raised, I forget) can be uploaded to the dungeons forum on the DM Encyclopaedia
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Do you need to be a member at DM Encyclopedia to post Dungeons and stuff there?