Where are all the Dungeons kept?

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

Where are all the Dungeons kept?

Post by boyflea »

Hi dudes, love the game, enjoy the RTC editor.

Having created a dungeon, where do you usually keep them?

Having looked around, I see that each submission comes with a link to a personal website as a way of hosting the data - have these dungeons ever been collated somewhere?
If so, is it still in use?

Otherwise, I'll probably create a yahoo usergroup and stick them in it - but it is a shame to not have a library of dungeons.

I see you also rate each other's dungeons and the such, and I would love to play the other dungeons, but it is hassle trawling through all the posts to find these links... am I looking in the wrong place?

Ok dudes, cheers for any help given.

Dave
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The DMweb is currently or will be the way to host them all, you shoudl eb able to create an account and upload them just now

The liost of dungeons stickied above should instantly direct you to the thread with the dungeon, and each dungeon should be on the first post
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You're right that the encyclopaedia should be the place to store all dungeons and reviews.
The goal is that any user should be able to create an account and upload new custom dungeons and post reviews of dungeons.

But currently, you cannot register an account and upload files yet.
Until I complete this part of the site, you can send me new dungeons if you want me to upload them for you.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

What's the size limit going to be?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same question for me !
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Size isn't an issue surely - I've gotten up to about 160k. :)

Cheers for the offer Christophe - I was wondering how to register. I'll try to get it onto the DMweb too if possible.

As well as the dungeon, am currently working on the hints part of it. Do you guys need any other sort of documentation to come with it?

I've had fun making it and want to make more now, but I'd prefer to go through the 'correct channels' first - and plagarise all the cool ideas from you guys of course. ;)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Documentation-wise, people often write a background story to go with their dungeon (explaining why it's there or why you must enter it, what you must do, etc). Some also come with brief biographies of the available heroes. I know Conflux also comes with a description of the various runes, 'cause Zyx made a bunch of different spells/rearranged the old ones (for example, Fireball isn't "Ful Ir" in Conflux).
Of course, it's not a requirement to building a dungeon that you add this kind of stuff with it, but it just kinda adds to it, I suppose.
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

... And do test it, the toughest part of all.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, and get at least one other person to test it too - they may find some bugs you missed :).
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The upload limit will be 2MB per file (imposed by my ISP).
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hmmm... and if i tell you that my custom dungeon is about 10MB and it's probably only 10% complete ?
i must find a way to split it in several parts or a big file upload area without limited lifetime...
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Bah, testing it!Tell me about it! :(

Currently I've stalled the release as I've got a bizarre crash-when-saving issue in two of the levels... any ideas how to QA / resolve this?

Ameena: in terms of documentation, I've tried to impart some sense of narration through wall messages etc. My first endeavour isn't that complex to warrant docs. Saying that, it does feature a friendly race, so perhaps an intro doc would help :)
If I were creating a series of quests then I agree...

And that brings me to Linflas - perhaps split your behemoth up into a series of quests... one of the features of mine is that it can have three endings... perhaps each could give a scroll / code saying "now play this quest" etc... and the user would then chosse the next in the series, and so on.

Anyway, enough ramblings, am off to sort out this crash bug. [Professional pride dictates I submit a bug-free build, having been a level designer and QA bod in the games industry a fair few years now*. :)]

*Ooo, get her. ;)

I look forward to submitting and having lots of praise heaped on me. Short of that, submission would be nice. :D

Cheers again dudes.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

boyflea wrote:And that brings me to Linflas - perhaps split your behemoth up into a series of quests...
well, that is not so simple, because those 10 megabytes are only for new bitmaps and sounds.
if you keep original visuals and sounds, you can make hundreds of quests and spend only a few kbytes.
by the way, DM2 bitmaps are great to make something that drastically changes from what we were used to play.

but -me- want -more- ... :)
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Well, despite the odd crash, and in hindsight being a bit amateurish, I've uploaded my "two Lovers" RTC file here:

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dungeo ... r_Archive/

all visitors welcome:-
guest ID - darooudm
guest password - visitor

feel free to join if you have a yahoo ID, and yes, I am happy for 10MB files to get dumped in the files section. :)

Also, if I ever find any working links to RTCs, or can get onto the right download screen, I'll be happy to back up any files if anyone wants me to - until the proper DM library is up and running proper.

When I am fully happy my RTC file is bugfree, I'll submit it to you guys for inclusion - although TBH I might just start something new, so this may be the only place to grab it from.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

well, maybe you should make a new topic here to give the link of your dungeon in a first post. then, people could comment and ask for help eventually.
Oh, maybe you you should make the downloadable files public in your Yahoo group, so that people wouldn't need to login with the guest account to get your dungeon.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can host your dungeon if you like...although I am busy until the start of next week so won't get round to hosting nor puttign a link in the main dungeon listing until later!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Both very good points:-

Linflas - I can't figure out how to do that, so will redirect the user to the yahoo groups page instead for now.

Beowulf - that is very kind of you. I am happy to send you the 52k file for hosting, but it does have a saving bug in it. If you still happy to host, then OK, give me an email and I'll post it. I'm at boyflea at yahoo dot com btw.]

Right, time to set myself up for criticism. :) New thread coming.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yep, i'm at beowuuf same address, so just mail it across, and I edited your post as never a good idea to leave it lying around ready for spam-bots to pick up and use!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Cheers beowulf!