Conversion Idea

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Cybergoth
Neophyte

Conversion Idea

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!

I just thought it might be an interesting project to try and turn the first Wizardry game into a DM dungeon. Not sure wether it was worth the effort and how good it would translate though.

I think one problem might be that the walls in Wizardry don't occupy squares, or?

Greetings,
Manuel
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

They probably don't. At least they didn't in Wizardry 6, not sure about 7 (and those were the only Wizardry parts I played). Even though I am not familiar with Wizardry 1, I still wonder why it should be part 1 and not another game in the series. It seems Wizardry 4 is indeed legendary, mostly of its sick difficulty. Rebuilding the Cosmic Cube and Maze of Wandering might be tricky in DM, but who knows?

I think Wizardry 6 might be even better suited for a DM conversion. The game is famous and rather popular among the board members here (at least PaulH loves it, and I have fond memories, too). Conflux showed that the Mines were, in structure and atmosphere, rebuildable in DM. Paul already did do a rendition of Rebecca. It could work, but it would require a lot of work because of the sheer size of the game. And with all the difference (real-time combat compared to turn-based random encounters, the radically different puzzle structure), game balance would be very hard to supervise.

So, who's up to it?
Cybergoth
Neophyte

Post by Cybergoth »

Trantor wrote:They probably don't. At least they didn't in Wizardry 6, not sure about 7 (and those were the only Wizardry parts I played). Even though I am not familiar with Wizardry 1, I still wonder why it should be part 1 and not another game in the series.
Because AFAIK it was the very first pure 3D dungeon crawl ever. The start of the series. Celebration of it's 25th anniversary or so...

I thought especially 6 and 7 would be a bit pointless, because they already were Dungeon Master clones to begin with :wink: