New dungeon, but half-baked and dead

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

New dungeon, but half-baked and dead

Post by TyGuy6 »

I guess it has been almost three years since I made my first dungeon, "Traps and Monsters," to get some dungeon-making practice. Since then, I've done some work on another, larger dungeon, called "Shadow Shepherd," but I don't have the time anymore to finish it. (I had a couple great ideas too.) Life is about to get in the way in a big way, and at the moment, I'm even sworn off of any and all computer games. :shock: Maybe in another 3-13 years I'd even finish it, who knows.

My concern is, I've done about 3 levels and I don't want it to go to waste. Do you think I should give someone else the project? Does anyone care to try and salvage what is left, or even just steal the ideas they like? The basic composition is focused on puzzles, with some monsters (amateurly, I'll admit) thrown in.

I do feel kinda possessive, but seeing as it's unlikely to be finished anytime soon, and I owe a lot to this site and its dungeonmakers, I'll give it up if you think I should, and someone would make good use of it.

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Is this juicy dungeon compiled using RTC?

I am *totally* starved of ideas. And maybe we can work together to finish it off! (although I do have a specific, and possibly extremely irritating, style of dungeon design!)
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You always want to go back and revisit old dungeon ideas, but realistically the moment is missed if you don't keep going or if the idea doesn't keep calling to you.

I think you should show it off, so we can see your brilliance and maybe see a dungeon carried on :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Adamo very kindly showed me his DMJava dungeon he discontinued. From that I got a couple of neat ideas.

Come on someone, steal his work and put it to use!
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

ian_scho wrote:Adamo very kindly showed me his DMJava dungeon he discontinued. From that I got a couple of neat ideas.

Come on someone, steal his work and put it to use!
Considering this is a tiny community, we should all be sharing as much as possible, so we can further it. I would love to make games that people who aren't into the Dungeon Master would be able to play and enjoy!

If anyone took any of my ideas, I would actually be hugely complimented :oops:
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

All right, I promise not to drop it completely (at the very least not forever). I'll either finish it, probably quickly and roughly, or I'll give it to the community as is, to do with as you will. I have three ideas I want to implement, but like I said, I'm sworn off computer games. I'll just have to think about if I can call this an exception or not. But be assured, it won't go to waste.

And to answer DMDM: it's made with CSBWin, not RTC. I like the old feel.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Sworn off computer games? That sounds spouse related :> Perhaps you can share the work you've done on the dungeon, then serve as a "producer", and limit your involvement to sharing old or new ideas for the dungeon. Good ideas are never in overabundance.

We hope you're still going to be able to post in these forums during your game sabbatical.

Cheers!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

TyGuy6 wrote: like I said, I'm sworn off computer games.
Are you willing to tell why / what is it that puts you off ?
health issues? addiction?
I find that rather interesting why you quit with playing games...
it;s ok if you don't want to tellmore, and probably you shouldn't!!

You are not alone, and most likely
a wise decision, hope you put your time to good use !! ;)
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Yeah, ok. But don't try to change my mind. The truth is, I'm not good at stopping the games once I've started. When I get into them for a while, they start to mess with my life, in various ways, such as lack of sleep from staying up too late. I consider excessive game-playing to be a real addiction.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Ok, I'm ready to give out this unfinished dungeon. But I can't seem to figure out how to upload it on the Encyclopaedia. I don't seem to have an account, and I can't figure out how to get one. A little help? My file, zipped is 520 KB, but I could remove the executable to get it to 240, if necessary.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can't upload to the encyclopedia I'm afraid, Christophe manually creates the pages and uploads them I believe

What you can do is send the files to beowuuf@yahoo.com and I can host them here at DM.com. 500kb is fine :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Apologies, weird net this week meant I hadn't fought to connect to my secondary mail account! :( Uploaded now!

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Thanks beowuuf!

I'll start another thread to announce/discuss the release. See http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 9994#89994
megar
Journeyman

Post by megar »

You can also write some documentation (when, why ...) on the soon-to-be-announced new dmwiki http://dmwiki.atomas.com/
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Trying to populate the list of Custom Dungeons? I don't really want it up there with just Conflux III to hang out with!