Sci-fi dungeons?

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Sci-fi dungeons?

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't actually played that many custom dungeons over the last few years. Has anyone created a custom adventure in a sci-fi setting? That is, replacing swords and sorcery with lasers and psionics?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Sci-fi dungeons?

Post by beowuuf »

Closest was PaulH's dungeon with the Disco Stu stormtroopers, lightsabers and Revad end boss.

I toyed with the idea of some CSBwin mechanics but never went ahead with it.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oooh, I never played that one, sounds fun :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I want to say it's black flame. So I shall!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I thought it was Towers of Chaos that had the Storm Troopers? I seem to remember meeting some during my brief attempt at that dungeon several years ago...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Really? I thought ToC was straighter than that.... maybe not. Unless they got added during a later version?

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dunno. I'm sure it was ToC I had a brief go at, and I'm sure I ran into some Storm Troopers. But it was aaaages ago. Maybe you can look it up somewhere - is there a discussion thread for that dungeon like there is for Conflux?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds like black flame after all...
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=24636

PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Funnily enough, that's what I'm working on at the moment. I have a few puzzles nailed and a few maps drawn, a bit of a story too, but settling on an engine is proving a little difficult. Nor sure what to do, RTC is fine for the puzzles I have at the moment but it seems I may struggle with a few of the more elaborate ones. Graphics are another issue - I'm managing at the mo by using the Captive graphics rips from that Amiga sprite project you linked to ages back, I've even got a half-decent wallset out of it too, but I want to limit the use as it'll just end up looking like Captive!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/posting.php

The old sci-fi dungeon ideas thread, just for fun comparison!

Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Summoning me from the void? How could you!

I'm surprised that the HG graphics somehow survived on the ACID account. If you need those, feel free to use them. I never bothered to rip the wall sections though, but I think I can do that in my spare time (Which I thankfully have now.)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:Sounds like black flame after all...
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=24636
I'm very sure it's Black Flame. You find the Light-sabre right at the beginning (in a secret area at the Hall of Champions, if I remember it correctly). Anyhow, both BF and ToC are my most favourite dungeons - thanks, PaulH. :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Haven't seen. It would be very hard to make a good one, unless using DSB.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I disagree. I think there's plenty of scope for sci-fi shenanigans in RTC, you just need to be creative... :-)
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Gambit37 wrote:I disagree. I think there's plenty of scope for sci-fi shenanigans in RTC, you just need to be creative... :-)
Lem'me answer by quoting my own text from another theard
Duckman wrote:If ye ar very good at making them it mite work surprisinly well. But only wit' DSB, or if ye make a dungeon editor yerself. RTC has a bit too little options, for example, ye could never create a railgun (slugs are too slow, and ye cannot make them to penetrate anythin'). Needless to say that hackin' the original version, CSBwin builder, Dmute nor DMjava are opinions unless ye ar gonna degrade ye'r dungeon in Trantor's reviews dearly.
It's possible to make good dungeons wit' RTC still flexible gamepaly, sure, but this is still more in the country of DSB because ye have even more opinions there, and that goes to hot stones when it's about using completely another theme than the program's original. Sure it's many times as easy to use RTC, but good scifi dungeons are too hard to build for all but very experinced dungeon builders with any editor, so you mite as well use DSB.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CSBwin could do instant hits no problem, I can't imagien a creative person not being anble to generate a damage tile in a similar manner

Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

beowuuf wrote:CSBwin could do instant hits no problem, I can't imagien a creative person not being anble to generate a damage tile in a similar manner
Aye if ye'r gonna make a tile in front of ye, but how could you make it to create damagers into distant targets?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I remember Suule himself wanted an instant bullet, not sure if he ever fond a work around. Depends on the mechanics of expiration. Can you create an expiring missile that if it hits a target, will explode, but otherwise expires so swiftly and creates a new version a tile ahead. If it can do this quickly enough, you can have a rolling bullet that will beat the usual missile clock ticks and be almost instant.

Anyway, always interested in encouraging people to push the various engines and finding what can't be done, instead of saying it's not doable right away. Sophia's DSB is impressive, but so is the insane ways she made the RTC engine as it was then dance first before she hit its limits. The memory of the vorpal arrow in one of the earlier engines must not be allowed to die!

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:so is the insane ways she made the RTC engine as it was then dance first before she hit its limits. The memory of the vorpal arrow in one of the earlier engines must not be allowed to die!
Aww. Thank you, I appreciate it. :D

I will just add, though, that I'm not sure what it says, in light of your post, that I myself tried to make something sci-fi-ish work in RTC and never quite could get the mechanics the way I wanted them. :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nah, I was just saying ever say never in an engine until you have a bloody forehead! Despite the fact the engines aren't compatible, it still seems that figuring out ways of making one engine sing despite limits focus you well for designing in others.

Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Sophia wrote:
beowuuf wrote:so is the insane ways she made the RTC engine as it was then dance first before she hit its limits. The memory of the vorpal arrow in one of the earlier engines must not be allowed to die!
Aww. Thank you, I appreciate it. :D

I will just add, though, that I'm not sure what it says, in light of your post, that I myself tried to make something sci-fi-ish work in RTC and never quite could get the mechanics the way I wanted them. :P
For fun i tried to make a railgun too with RTC, but after few tests and new attempts, the result was that when shooting the followin' things happen:

1.An explosion sound plays
2.A slug (vaccuum fuse in 'tis case) appears out of nowhere in floor front of ye.
3.The railgun disappears from ye'r hand
4.Ye can retrieve it from the far side of the damager floor tile!

Could do some inprovement could'nt it? it's probaly possible to make it work about correctly but i still think that DSB can do more accurate job.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Those problems certainly seem solvable.

Anyway, why do bullets and stuff have to be "instant hit"? Captive's weren't and it still played just fine.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Gambit37 wrote:Those problems certainly seem solvable.

Anyway, why do bullets and stuff have to be "instant hit"? Captive's weren't and it still played just fine.
They do not HAVE to, but would be much better considering fow it would be really. And i think that ye could make so easily (not 100% sure) with DSB. And that was only an example.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just did a quick mockup of something using images from the arcade version of Aliens vs. Predator. How about an aliens inspired custom dungeon? ;-)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Pretty mock-up, though I always thought this alien looked nice and all smiling :D

PS: for some time I have been considering to move my random-dungeon to a sci-fi theme and call it "SPACE HALK".

If you want, I can work on my randomizer to make it "customizable-friendly" :-D
What Is Your Quest ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Of course he's smiling, he's pleased to eat you, I mean, meet you ;-)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It's pretty obvious that this species really just wants a hug:

I'd like to see an Alien-based dungeon. Anyone remember the game Xenomorph? It was some sort of solo-Sci-Fi-DM-clone. While not as good as DM, it was still pretty fun and atmospheric.
Oh, and I like your new avatar Gambit. :)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Nice to meat you!
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Hellgate Tavern 1 - Whole game is fantasy and at end you find some items from future

Hellgate Tavern 2 - Here i extend this idea so you may use during game such items, (machine guns, pistol, pulse riffle from aliens with the same sound) Also new interface and wallset, scenery, they make 30% of sci-fi content. At game end is cinema room where is played animated movie (also from future)

Am not sure total sci-fi dungeon will be playable, am much more like style of might and magic or wizardry where it begin fantasy and have some parts of future.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

New to list is Ravenhood3 (as game part medieval partly in ending sci-fi)

But most important is this one: Escape from Necropolis
Its my new project, 100% sci-fi dungeon (probably first of its kind in RTC)
Screens and info here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/escape-from-necropolis