Custom dungeon preservation project

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: List of dungeons

Post by Ameena »

I can confirm that there have been no completed dungeons by me - I started a load, several years ago, but never finished one. It all got a bit too complicated for me trying to figure out htf to do various things so I sort of gave up on it. I prefer just making up stuff like background stories and character bios and that kind of thing, rather than getting into the complexities of actually bringing to life this world that is stored in my brain ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If I remeber it even got corrupted or something? Or was that someone else's....
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dunno. It was ages ago now. I figure I'll leave all the complicated dungeon-building to the people who can actually be arsed to do it, and just stick to the creations I can actually build/write ;).
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Still - wouldn't it be easier stickying the active threads temporarily, then ask around for files (publicly asking already turned up a couple of files not found elsewhere), and if everything is done, unsticky the active ones again? Just a thought.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Do what you like. I raised a concern, but no one else seems to share it, so I guess it's not an issue.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, I am trying not to burry new threads with loads of questions about old ones. I'm just wondering whether there may be some idea how to do this as easily as possible.

The Encyclopaedia auto-sorts the dungeons according to their release/update date. I suppose that can't be done easily with a forum though.

So maybe I just select the active ones, sticky them temporarily, try then to ask about the oldest dungeons first and about the later ones later and about the stickied ones last. That would cause some temporary disorder, but would sort out in the end almost automatically.

What do you consider a good measure for an active thread to be considered active? Last post within several weeks? How many would you suggest?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

To be honest, I'd do all this in PMs. I don't really see the point of resurrecting lots of old threads on the forum just for this exercise. The original dungeon creators that you're trying to get hold of need to come to the forum to see either your forum post or a PM, so wouldn't a PM be better? It keeps the discussion manageable for you, and doesn't clutter up the forum for everyone else.

It just seems a bit daft to resurrect posts for ancient dungeons that don't work with the newest RTC -- while simultaneously burying threads for more up-to-date dungeons. And creating lots of stickies defeats the purpose of stickies ;-) Just my 2 pence...

I'd say that Active threads are anything receiving interest over the last 2-3 weeks.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Okok. Initially I didn't perceive this as a problem since I thought that active threads would eventually bump back up anyway.
But if tidying up the custom dungeons lists and downloads publibly is seen rather as a disturbance of the custom dungeon forum, I'll make such requests by PM only.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, ruishing this at lunch. It seems to me what you want is a single sticked thread here with a copy of what you paste on each of the threads explaining what is happening, what you are doing, what is needed, and the contact details (if gmail has that large a limit to file transfer, I can give my gmail too so we have a double back-up already)

You have moderator access to put the temp back up link in the first thread as you have done, and also list the version number

I would then PM the person aswell.

Hopefully that would do what is needed, stop you needing to keep listing the same purpose and save you time, also allow you to place you e-mail address in one place (I had to hunt to find it on the threads) without disruption of normal custom dungeon forum services.

While someone might have put an alert on their dungeon thread, they would have the same e-mail address attached to their forum account, so you can always simply send them an e-mail through the forum (the envelope button beside the PM button)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re:

Post by Jan »

Zyx wrote:I think we should keep this thread clear.
It is my opinion that this discussion should be moved to other thread in order to make this one really as short, clean and clear as possible, not only for the newcomers, but for everyone, please, please, pretty pretty please, pretty pretty pretty please with sugar and a strawberry on top? :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, splitting this off is a good suggestion.

Also, what you suggest isn't what I originally meant, but it is the better idea I was looking for, so I'll do as you suggest.

I will create a single sticky with a general information about the custom dungeon tidying up and send a link to that post to the dungeon designers in question.
Any replies can go to that single sticky thread. That way everyone who cares can add something, every dungeon designer involved will get an info about PM. There might be a couple of people who never look into their inbox, but that can't be helped. At least in my outbox I can see who actually received the message.

Ne rebumping, no thread burrying involved.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Custom dungeon preservation project

Post by beowuuf »

Split all of the posts from the list of dungeon threads. Some aren't applicable, possibly a further off topic thread can be created, unstickied, that can either be archived in the archive forum or just fall down the custom dungeon forum.

The RTC version information can be entered into the list of dungeons first post at some point next month when I get around to it, if no one else does it first.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

There is already a link to Custom Dungeons Forum on the main site (www.dungeon-master.com), but IMO it is a bit too unnoticible.

BTW, when a person, who never was here, comes to the Custom Dungeons Forum, he might feel little confused (there are no direct links to the clones, only the links to the custom game threads, where are usually direct links to download them, from which some of them are dead). So I think Lunever`s idea to gather all the customs in one, specific place is very good.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

@Lunever Over the coming weeks, when I have snippets of time, I'll pad out the stubs of information you've created for the new dungeons in the Encyclopedia Custom Dungeon directory. It'll look much better but my only problem is the lack of screenshots :(
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Hi guys!

Sorry, I know this is getting a little bit out of topic here, but I just wanted to extend my gratitude to all of you as an amateur game designer and total lover of the world of Dungeon Master. I know that my post here would probably derail the original intent of the thread, but I just wanted to share that I want to keep a promise to both myself and an old friend on here to honor the effort put into making these mods for everyone to enjoy.

What I am interested to know is if there is some kind of donation box where I can wire money to for the effort to preserve these modded maps?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thank for you for the offer, but there's not really a central effort that requires donations. Just enjoy the games!
thyceult
Apprentice

Post by thyceult »

Argh, thwarted by another politically correct answer. Haha, thank you so much for being considerate beowuuf, but you guys are helping me revive a lost love for an old flame. I've grown up with this since I was a kid, literally. Thanks for all of the good memories T_T
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Ameena wrote:I can confirm that there have been no completed dungeons by me - I started a load, several years ago, but never finished one. It all got a bit too complicated for me trying to figure out htf to do various things so I sort of gave up on it. I prefer just making up stuff like background stories and character bios and that kind of thing, rather than getting into the complexities of actually bringing to life this world that is stored in my brain ;).
hmmm, i could use some help with those things. i could use some help all around. if i ever want to finish any dungeon in this decade :roll: took me a few years to get enough time to learn the tools, now it will take some time to create new.
keep your gor coin handy
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I find it a pity that people don't match themselves up like this, to complete a dungeon... "Kid Dungeon" is the only co-op work I know that was ever done this way. Maybe DMJava as well I suppose.

Anyways, good work on the Preservation Project Lunever! I can think of a couple you've saved already :)
glecko
Craftsman

Post by glecko »

I am looking for copies of adamski's mini dungeons. I hope someone has a copy, before the unfortunate disappearance.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As Adamski deliberately removed the download links (when he didn't remove the main game), I don't feel comfortable sharing the dungeon. You can use the email link under his name to e-mail him directly and ask for it, it might persuade him to come back and see that alot of people like his ToC, and are ready to play the mini-dungeon.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

um umu um um. what took place for the fabulous adamski to take leave.... why does this happen?
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He seemed upset not to get more feedback. It was a bit strange to be honest.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Basically that. I know he worked hard on redoing the first mini-dungeon and got no feedbakc, but that was because people like myself hadn't even managed to get through the old one (or the ToC), and everyone who was dedicated was playing ToC.

As simple as that really.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

That's a pity. I wish I had more time (and intelligence) (and abilities) to play Adamski's excellent dungeons. :|
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i'm speechless... all that work and then fade away. you are right beowuuf, the time factor. i wish adamski the best, and that he return.
Last edited by Chaos-Shaman on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
keep your gor coin handy
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

This highlights the difference between a Forum and an Encyclopedia. The forum is a 'community first' approach and would put the individual wishes of the users first, while an Encyclopedia is a 'product' of a community and is an attempt to show this stuff 'as is', without emotion.[1] [2]
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Adamski did not remove the download link (though did remove or let lapse the images) for Tower of Chaos so that's still available in both places.

I'm guessing he pushed himself quite hard after ToC to get the first mini-dungeon done, because it contains alooooooot of stuff and new puzzles. All the more impressive after releasing a major dungeon like ToC. So yeah, I guess there was an emotional investment there that wasn't paid off. Hence why I'm a bit funny about offering to share it personally.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

I tend to notice a considerable lack of DM2 PC dungeons. There is only one in the entire list. May I ask why this is?

A nagging question from
Jay.
Hanging by a thread.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I'm not sure Jetengine, but I never heard of it myself. Is it as powerful as RTC with the GUI?
keep your gor coin handy