The Changing Man

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lunever wrote:But since the choice rather seems to be a badly paid despised job and a well-paid despised job, I'd say take the better paid one.
That's about the size of it! Nicely put! :-) Despised is perhaps a harsh word to describe the current job and an unfair one to describe a job I have yet to experience. On that balance, it seems daft not to at least try it out...
beowuuf wrote:So you are back to where you were before?
Um. Yeah. Looks like it. Will wait until tomorrow for final decision as I have a conference call with my new immediate boss and HIS boss to discuss any last minute issues. It's quite flattering actually, they *really* want me! (Though I suspect it's more to do with not wanting to waste another four months looking for someone else!)
beowuuf wrote:You going to have the same nerves about it though?
I've not had nerves about the idea of a new job or moving homeor any of that stuff. What I've been anxious about is that *If* it's not right and I'm unhappy, have I made a mistake by not trying to find out what I *really* want to do? The argument against that from everyone I know has been "Can't you take the job and do it *while* you're working out what you want to do, and pay off your debts in the process?" When presented like that it's a no brainer. I guess I just worry that I'm missing out on something that I *should* be trying instead, but as I still don't know what that is, it does seem a little daft to worry about it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeha, that's a bad mental trap to stop doing anything, assuming there might be something even better.

It's the channel surfing with 50 channels issue when you stop and watch stuff when you have five!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've a few friends who fear change. It's not a matter of them not wanting to try something new, in fact in most cases when forced into it they quite enjoy themselves. The idea of leaving something that is comfortable and known is just too difficult that you need to drag them kicking and screaming.

These people are VERY good at turning something good upside down and looking it in the arse. BEfore you know it they have 50 horrible things about it which are reason enough to avoid the activity.. whatever it may be.

The question you need to ask, is.. is that what you are doing? Or are your concerns legitimate.

There is no worse fate than being consigned to a job which eats at your soul. It's an unavoidable daily task. You need to go there every day, and if it stresses you out.. your screwed. Most people can not live with constant stress.

So, if you are not stressed on a daily basis, and instead are in fact comfortable. It's a much better situation than feeling like you don't even want to get up in the morning. If however, you feel like every day is a dead end and are stressed anyway.. then you might want to look at which is at the very least.. less stress.

I've done jobs for the money alone. It wasn't worth it in the end.. eventually I had to find a job I love.. and while sometimes i don't make a tonne of cash.. I make enough to live and be reasonably happy. With a job I love and enjoy participating in.

additionally, there is the question of how easy or not it would be to get a different job after you got cash from this one? I don't know your local job market so, really, if you can make a butt load of cash but only for 6 months and can get a similar job to what you have or something else.. it might be worth the short term stress to gain the long term relief of paying off the debts.. but ONLY if you can get annother job easily enough...

there is my... 3-5 cents.. moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

cowsmanaut wrote:These people are VERY good at turning something good upside down and looking it in the arse.
LOL, what a great expression -- and that's me all over. But I haven't been that bad this time -- I do see all the positives.
cowsmanaut wrote:There is no worse fate than being consigned to a job which eats at your soul. It's an unavoidable daily task. You need to go there every day, and if it stresses you out.. your screwed. Most people can not live with constant stress.
The job I'm currently doing isn't that stressful per se, but I'm very bored of it, not enjoying it and want to move on. Add to that the fact I've lived in this town all my life and am now completely sick of it... well, a change is as good as a rest, etc.
cowsmanaut wrote:...feeling like you don't even want to get up in the morning. If however, you feel like every day is a dead end and are stressed anyway.. then you might want to look at which is at the very least.. less stress.
Well, pretty sure this new job will be more stressful. The issue with the job is that it's more technical and has no design element which I know I will miss greatly.
cowsmanaut wrote:I've done jobs for the money alone. It wasn't worth it in the end.. eventually I had to find a job I love.. and while sometimes i don't make a tonne of cash.. I make enough to live and be reasonably happy. With a job I love and enjoy participating in.
Yes, the money is better, but ultimately I decided that wasn't enough reason to take the role. I want to find out what I love because I simply don't know. Do I get stressed in a job I already think I won't enjoy for a year or six months and get so involved I don't seek out what I should really be doing? *That's* my worry.
cowsmanaut wrote:additionally, there is the question of how easy or not it would be to get a different job
That's not a worry -- I have a broad set of skills.

Gonna see how this conference call goes -- in five minutes!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woot! I accepted! Got a good deal with them and although I will accept the one year contract, we're going to prioritise projects for the first six months and they are fine with the prospect of my leaving after 6 months if it doesn't work out. Everyone's happy!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Very good. So you have an opportunity to see for yourself whether the job is as bad as you worry it might possibly be.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

:)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, then again, congratulations!

It soudns liek you should be lookign towards design jobs, and optomising your spare time with design stuff *cough codex* or learning stuff that will give you a chance with the latest design stuff though!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Good stuff, glad you found a way to explore this new prospect and keep it fairly positive. At the very least, when you are done you will be in a new place with less/no debts and have a chance at a new job with lots of incentive to find one.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

There's a job posted for the local library asking for a network assistant. The reqs are way lower than what I'm familiar with, and the pay is way beyond anything I've ever had in my pocket. I'm going to update my resume and file it tomorrow. I sense some parallel realities going on at this forum. Perhaps there's more to DM than meets the eye. . . .
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, that's great news! Good luck, Tom! :)

I just handed my notice in! Had a one-to-one chat with Tom (director #1) as Will (director #2) is still off sick, then did a little presentation to the team to tell them all together.

I feel so much better now it's all out there. Everyone was really supportive and said "Go for it..." etc.

I actually am pretty excited now. I feel a huge sense of relief and excitement for the future. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yupm, good luck Tom, and nice one Gambit!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hey, and me got a new job too, part-time beside my study testing new ultrasonic lenses. Finally a job beside studying that has actually something to do with what I'm studying. Just got the confirmation by phone that I can sign a contract in 2 weeks to start working at april 1st. Yay!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

April 1st? Are they serious? :-D

But seriously, well done too -- wow, it really seems like things are happening for everyone this year!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Apparently so!
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Congrats, Lunever. And good luck to all of you. Hopefully you'll get the job Tom, and you'll find what you're looking for Gambit. :)
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

This thread has a happy ending after all.... Until threadnomancy strikes again.
I'm glad that these changes are seen in a more positive light.

My own life has been going through a mini-hell which I'll not bore you with, but I'm still smiling as I have support from friends and family and am an annoyingly optimistic person. :P Many of these problems are much easier to handle when they are shared with others, me thinks.
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Did you start the new job yet?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, not yet -- probably end of April, dates are a little messed up.

I'm in the process of finding a flat share... tricky with easter holidays!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I went through my interview last Wednesday. I felt it was going well until the very end. They told me they had three more people to interview that week, but that I'd know next week either way. It seems like such a great place to work, too good to be true perhaps. Anyway, if that falls through, I'm gonna start worrying. I've only got about a month of savings left.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I started my new job this monday :-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Tom. Sometimes people say that things that feel too good to be true probably are --I say fuck that: sometimes good things do happen! Don't be harsh on yourself or start worrying. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say "Good luck!".

Lunever: nice one :D -- how's the first week going?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yep, good luck! And that goes to everyone.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

First impression after just a couple of days is I might actually like the job .-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thanks good :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Tom, what happened with the job interview? I hope that no news is good news?

I did a mammoth flat-visiting-all-over-london today and am knackered. I just got a text message from one of them saying they like me and want me to move in. Especially cool because they were the only house that I got a good feel about -- really lovely people.

The room itself is quite small and the lounge is a tiny boxroom as the real lounge is used as a guest bedroom -- they tend to hang out in the kitchen. It's not the cleanest or smartest place I saw and in some respects is a bit of a step down from what I'm used to. I think it will take some adjustment as I'm so used to living on my own.

BUT -- it's more important for me to be around some good people as I make the move into a new city, so on balance, I think I can live with any problems the building itself might throw up.

It's about a 30-40 minute journey to work which is a little further out than I intended but it's a nice area and close to some even nicer areas. Sydenham for those of you in the know.

I haven't accepted yet but I think I will.

It's all good. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, that's very good to know. The journey time to work seems a little long, but if it's balanced by a really nice area to relax and live then that is the main thing!

So good that its all good :D
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

people are neat? then go for it Gambit!!
30-40 minutes for a work isn`t very much, so don`t worry about that if you only have a frequent connection (train, bus?).
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

When everything is running correctly (!) the overland train from Sydenham to London Bridge is about 20 mins. Then 7 mins on tube to Canary Wharf. With walking either end it's gonna be over the half hour journey time I set myself. I think I can handle that ;-)

@Adamo: The problem with Uk transport being unreliable is legendary. You only need one minor screw up somewhere to bring the whole network to a standstill. I was warned that the 30-40 minute journey can sometimes take 1.5 hours! That's longer than if I was travelling from where I currently live!

There's an alternative route involving a bus and the Docklands Light Railway which I think is about the same time but nicer because you don't end up on the tube... the tube is a great thing for the odd journey but when I worked in London years ago, I hated using it every day. Which is why I stopped and ended up walking instead!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Give woo! Give yay!

I accepted the room in the flat share in Sydenham. Far too nice a group of people not to. Looks like I'll be moving end of May so have about a month of commuting. It's great because it gives me enough time to get rid of all my junk too. (PS: This means a whole bunch of stuff will end up on eBay....)

Really looking forward to all this. I finally feel like I'm on the road to something better, even if this stage isn't the end of the journey... :-)