Split comments from Baby Screamers

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Split comments from Baby Screamers

Post by linflas »

OT comments and discussion on kids from here - b.

I'm deeply shocked. This forum is for geeks, geeks cannot have children, or if they have one, they don't tell ! :shock:
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Baby Screamers

Post by beowuuf »

except for the people who have mentioned it! :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I can't contribute to this thread as I'm pretty sure I don't have any children.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The only thing I'm going to say is how fortunate you... we are to have children that will experience at least two cultures!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This thread should fill up in a hurry. If there's one type of person who will not shut up, ever, it's new parents talking about their kids. Or even not-so-new ones, in a lot of cases. :P
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

and then there are those who refer to children as "crotch droppings", have endless discussions about being "child free by choice" and how rediculous the procreators are.. and somehow seem to forget the only reason they are here is because someone gave birth to them :P Dated one of those..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't have kids but I have watched 13 nieces and nephews grow up. They now range in age from 5 to 25. Somehow in all that time of being "Uncle Matt" I managed to wipe one bottom and I never changed a nappy :-)
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Maybe having kids is a kind of "RESUME", starting over, this time trying to pypass what you did wrong. I wonder about people who seem to be so sure about their wish never to have children. I always felt the urge need to reproduce myself, especially in the presence of women. Hm, maybe thats why I'm solo since about a year now. :-P Amazing, how quickly one gets used to it.

And I think it is very sad, that in most modern societies people don't want kids, because then they won't be able to park a new c-class in front of the house.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You're also assuming, there, that such people drive as well ;).
Anyway, what's wrong with not wanting kids? I realise technically it's the whole point of evolution but I'll stick to rats, thanks ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Is the fact poeple with kids/kids on the way haven't posted into this topic indicitive of something?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Tomi: I wouldn't agree that "most" people in modern society don't want kids, in my experience it's the exact opposite!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

In modern societies there are much more people who design their lives without any kid whatsoever anyhow, and even those who'd want some would want fewer than if in a medieval society.

T0Mi wrote:Maybe having kids is a kind of "RESUME", starting over, this time trying to pypass what you did wrong.
"So you see, my son, never set an AND/OR Gate to activate itself or you'll enter a slowing and eventually crashing loop. Avoid also DSA loops". Yes! Can't wait to share with him!
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Ameena:
Nothing wrong with not wanting kids. I'm not sure where my wish to have kids comes from anyway. I can't really distinguish between the "built a house, plant a tree, buy a mercedes, have a son" attitude that is so common especially around the SW of Germany and the more natural, biological need to have childs. I do have kids already, not biological ones though. They have four legs, hooves and are furry. :-)

Gambit:
you are right about GB. It is among the few european countries which sustain a birthrate high enough (2,1) to keep the population at least constant. For whatever reason I can't say. Obviously you're doing something right in family politics which we do wrong. In Germany the birth rate is very low - about 1,3 childs per couple, which makes us rank around place 180 (of ~220) compared to other countries worldwide. From what I feel, as harsh as it may sound: a mercedes seems to be more honoured by our society than a child. If this feeling is right, then it's just sad. :|
Last edited by T0Mi on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

yeah! :D
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

T0Mi wrote:I do have kids already, not biological ones though. They have four legs, hooves and are furry. :-)
It was wise of you to specify they were not biologically yours. Do you have sex with their mother nonetheless ? :wink:
Gambit:
you are right about GB. It is among the few european countries which sustain a birthrate high enough (2,1) to keep the population at least constant. For whatever reason I can't say. Obviously you're doing something right in family politics which we do wrong.
Same in France. I don't know about GB, but we do have generous family aids, kindergarten and overall a positive opinion of having children (in school we are taught about the birthrate of France of 2.1 as being a good thing.)
In Germany the birth rate is very low - about 1,3 childs per couple, which makes us rank around place 180 (of ~220) compared to other countries worldwide. From what I feel, as harsh as it may sound: a mercedes seems to be more honoured by our society than a child. If this feeling is right, then it's just sad. :|
Hmm. The most likely explanation is the lack of special measures for women who want to work AND have children, linked to a negative view of motherhood in the jobplace. I guess GB and France have on the contrary a positive view of mothers at work, even if it still not mirrored in salaries (however, I think it's more related to lingering sexism at the beginning of job-life than to being a mother).

If having a child is a big drawback on salary/position progression in a firm, then it's a HUGE disincentive for would-be worker-mothers.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Joramun wrote:The most likely explanation is the lack of special measures for women who want to work AND have children, linked to a negative view of motherhood in the jobplace. I guess GB and France have on the contrary a positive view of mothers at work, even if it still not mirrored in salaries (however, I think it's more related to lingering sexism at the beginning of job-life than to being a mother).

If having a child is a big drawback on salary/position progression in a firm, then it's a HUGE disincentive for would-be worker-mothers.
If the woman isn't working full time, then she is probably going to have less salary/position advancement opportunities because she's not putting in the same time and commitment as other people in the firm. That's fine, her priority is and should be her family-- the problem is when she does put her career first. Then, who's raising the kid? The babysitter? The TV? I think that a negative societal view toward these absentee mothers is perfectly justified and warranted.

By the way, I'm aware that my view makes it pretty difficult for a woman to have a career and a child. I know this, and I believe it IS pretty difficult, which is (one of many reasons) why I have no children and I'm not going to.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

[OT post removed]
Last edited by T0Mi on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

[OT]
still - don't stay too long behind a horse. It's not because it could kick, but your belt could crash, the pants drop and your wife come around!
[/OT]
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, horse stuff isn't for this thread, please stop going OT, thanks.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Joramun wrote:Hmm. The most likely explanation is the lack of special measures for women who want to work AND have children, linked to a negative view of motherhood in the jobplace. I guess GB and France have on the contrary a positive view of mothers at work, even if it still not mirrored in salaries (however, I think it's more related to lingering sexism at the beginning of job-life than to being a mother).
This is indeed a huge problem in Germany, especially compared to other European countries. It has gotten better since the reunification, but still has a way to go. This is one of the examples where the GDR was actually better than the FRG, even if many West Germans will still tell you that EVERYTHING was bad in the GDR.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Trantor wrote:even if many West Germans will still tell you that EVERYTHING was bad in the GDR.
I hope we won't discuss the "positives" of communism, because then I might break my silence and say something. Don't tempt me, I'm warning you! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

This time I'm not offtopic!

Another girl came to world today - not my family, but in close neighbourhood!

Capricorns ftw!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Jan wrote:
Trantor wrote:even if many West Germans will still tell you that EVERYTHING was bad in the GDR.
I hope we won't discuss the "positives" of communism, because then I might break my silence and say something. Don't tempt me, I'm warning you! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I won't defend communism, and I will never say that the fall if the Iron Curtain was a bad thing. I was merely trying to point out that the world is never completely black and white.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: Split comments from Baby Screamers

Post by linflas »

linflas wrote:I'm deeply shocked. This forum is for geeks, geeks cannot have children, or if they have one, they don't tell ! :shock:
Errrm... According to my 3 years old quote above, I *shoudln't* tell you that... my little boy Esteban is born last monday, the most sleepy baby I've ever seen ! :D After a week, he sleeps about 6-7 hours at a time during night !
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

congrats linflas
keep your gor coin handy
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Aaaaahaaaaahaha, Esteban le fils du soleil! Bravo aux parents!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CONGRATULATIONS! :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks everyone !
@zyx : la référence est clairement assumée, je l'avoue. Et de toute manière, j'ai toujours adoré ce prénom ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Fantastic news! Congratulations to you both! A fantastic name, too. I expect he'll be having great adventures in South America before long :-)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Bienvenue chez les Ch' tis, bébé crieur.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman