New version of my business website

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: New version of my business website

Post by Zyx »

Well I do need a full-time designer and I don't have a single penny. But if I would, I would have you. I know the worth of your work. I think you can only be appreciated by demanding professionals (demanding because they know exactly what they want, not because they're capricious). I would try huge corporations who clearly understand the benefits of having a great site. Try contacting movie producers or high-tech companies for example. Just show them "sketches" of what you would do for their site. Of course I have no idea of the reality of your market, but if you want to be paid and appreciated while still on ethics grounds, try directly knocking the right doors, you'll spend the same quantity of efforts for much better bingos.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Thank you for your kind words. I'm no longer working as a designer for hire though, I'm going back to team based working in a full time position. I miss working with other people too much. I want to get back into collaborative working on projects, probably in a web agency or similar.

In three years of working for myself, I learned that I'm simply not aggressive enough to market myself or run a business. I'm too self-effacing and too "nice". I'm simply not a business man. People say "Well, learn how to be aggressive then!" but that simply isn't me. I'm happy with my character and I'm happy with what I learned in those 3 years and now I'm happy to go back to something that will probably suit me better. The trick is finding the right environment. In the short term, I just need anything though as I'm rapidly running out of cash.

I have some irons in the fire, so we'll just have to see how the various opportunities pan out. I wish I could find a job that said "Expert Web Generalist Required" though! :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

cowsmanaut wrote:So I guess what i mean to say is to not underestimate your abilities in comparison to the people filling the job market. I know a lot of people working in my industry who shouldn't be there, they neither care to get better and don't do good work.. yet they're still employed..
Exactly. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I can only stress what others have already said. You clearly underestimate your own skills (I know it because the two of us are sometimes rather similar, and I know that I undersell my own skills ;)). Think of it this way: You actually know MORE than is required for a certain specialized job. If you still lack some knowledge, you will be able to pick it up quickly via learning by doing. Your experience and knowledge in other fields will make sure you will quickly adapt and learn. Who cares if your profile doesn't match 100%? People will see that you have a ton of experience in different areas, and that more than makes up for it. Furthermore, the personal impression you leave in an interview is more important than actual qualification, and I'm sure you will manage just fine in that regard. Just be honest to yourself - and that includes knowing your strengths of which you have many!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oooh, some potentially exciting news.... I'm in talks with one of my existing clients about going to work for them for a short-term contract next year. If it works out, it could turn into a long-term job. 2-3 months is a good amount of time to get a little money in the bank to help resolve my current cash flow crisis -- so that's useful, even if a full time job doesn't happen. I'll know more early next week, but it's looking promising :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, congratulations and fingers crossed during the coming 'negotiations'. What kind of job would it be? (if it's not a secret, of course. :wink: )
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sounds great! If nothing else, it will look good on your CV, and getting a foot in the door is never a bad thing. Hope it will all work out!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Thanks :) It's basically a contract to build two websites for two of their clients. My client is a design agency who do mainly print/branding. They use freelancers to build any websites that they design: I've been working with them for a year or so building websites for their clients, so we already have a good working relationship. The idea would be for me to work in house on these 2 new websites, and if it works out, they'll consider hiring me full time as they are getting more and more web work. This could be a good opportunity to become a Head of Production or something like that :-)

The issue is that the 2 websites are not 100% secure yet, so I need to wait to hear if they are definitely going ahead. But they've also said that they want to secure my time (the project won't start until late Jan), so they would be prepared to take me on for a month, even if those projects don't happen. Which means I could potentially get paid for a month doing nothing!

They are a tiny agency, just 4 people, and there's no perks or anything like that, but I don't mind: I'd rather be working for a small team where I can make a difference.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You'd probably enjoy a little interaction with others as well :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

^^^ The main reason for going back to full-time work. I've gone mental working at home on my own. Fwep fwep glornk petow, my old man's a mushroom, etcetera.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds good!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

My brother started working for local Red Hat office in Brno, Czech Republic, a few months ago (they have about 200 or 300 employees who seem to be just a huge bunch of young nerdy enthusiasts). He's developing some kind of cloud computing program. He told me more, but I didn't understand a word, so I just switched my brain off and nodded a few times and tried to look smart. :wink:

I don't know if he
Gambit37 wrote:can make a difference
but he definitely can make some money and get experience there and start his own business later - a thing he's been dreaming of for some time now. But so far, he's been pretty satisfied there and seems to be working very independently, allowed to develop freely his ideas. :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds very cool :) As for making a difference, I didn't mean making a difference in the world so to speak, but just being able to help a small company improve its output... I'd be happy with that.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woo yay! Today I was offered the short-term contract I mentioned above. Only a month initially, with a view to three months if the projects go ahead. Beyond the three months, who knows what will happen.... but that's cool, it gives me some breathing space and more importantly puts some money back in my bank account. I'd got to the point where I've only been earning enough to pay the bills.

Such a relief :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Congratulations!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

that´s good! :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, lucky you! Congratulations! And good luck with your new job! :P

And also congratulations for exceeding 10.000 posts! :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Congrats :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Thanks all :) I didn't even notice I'd broken 10,000 posts. Just me and Beo in that club :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Congratulations from me too - both on the job and on cracking that 10000 threshold. :wink:
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Trantor wrote:Congratulations from me too - both on the job and on cracking that 10000 threshold. :wink:
Same here, especially that you landed the job. Money isn't everything, but it sure decreases stress.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I start my new contract tomorrow. I'm now busy trying to find the most stress-free route to get to work...

I can save considerable money by adding an extra 35 minute walk into the mix, or spend the extra money to give me a quicker journey. However, the quicker journey would include using the Underground which I'm trying to avoid if possible (I hate doing that first thing in the morning).

But.... the benefit of spending more money is I get a travelcard I can use all over London as much as I like, which would ultimatley save money on other trips in the long run.

I should probably try a few different routes/options over the first couple of weeks to see what's best. It feels weird going back to that life after 3+ years sitting on my ass at home :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL. You seem to have taken a scientific approach.
Gambit37 wrote:I can save considerable money by adding an extra 35 minute walk into the mix
That would probably depend on the environment. Would it include many parks and calm streets with trees? Go for it! It'd be good for your health and mental condition. Would it include lots of busy noisy smelly streets? Not recommended!
Gambit37 wrote:using the Underground which I'm trying to avoid if possible
I'm trying to avoid using Underground in Prague too. I just hate it - perhaps because it's beneath the surface (strange for someone playing DM :lol: ). I prefer trams - they are slower but I just feel much better in there.

Do you have any safe options to use a bicycle? If it's safe for you, I can only recommend it.

Good luck in your new job!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Jan wrote:That would probably depend on the environment. Would it include many parks and calm streets with trees? Go for it! It'd be good for your health and mental condition. Would it include lots of busy noisy smelly streets? Not recommended!
Unfortunately it's the latter. And it's also a dodgy area to walk through. So I decided against it and went for the quicker, more expensive option. The difference is that if I were to walk, I'd lose about 1hr 20mins a day, walking a not very nice walk, so on balance, having more free time to do other things seems like the better option (plus less chance of being mugged too!)
Jan wrote:Do you have any safe options to use a bicycle? If it's safe for you, I can only recommend it.
In London? Are you INSANE!!?? :mrgreen: :D :) :( :x :evil: :twisted:
Jan wrote:Good luck in your new job!
Thank you. First day was pretty boring, just setting up the computer. Think tomorrow will be the same too!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm in the market for getting a new job. To that end, I finally got a new portfolio up and running. It's nothing like any of the stuff I showed you all before, it's just a simple "one pager" I can use as a calling card. I'm not bothering with a blog or any of that stuff anymore. What do you think?
http://matthill.co/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Seems to be elegantly simple, nice colouring. Reminds me, for some reason, of apple colours/lay out whichI guess is no bad thing.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cheers. What browser do you use? Am interested if you saw nice curved buttons, or square ones?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Firefox 6 I think. Nice roudned ones.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Perfect! And "elegantly simple" is exactly what I was going for: result! :-)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nice, stylish, neat.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II