Art vs commerce and intellectual property

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Art vs commerce and intellectual property

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i'll have it til i die. i was hoping to hand it down to one of my kids, i've tried to interest them in DM, my daughter draws, does her own paintings and my son is a games master, loves those shootem ups, the military tried to enlist him through playing his games, I SAID NO, he is glad i did now, i didn't wan't him shooting another young kid who was also enticed the same way.
i have tried to get them involved but they don't have that sword. so it's going to be the love of the game that will make or break the efforts we put forth using the chaosblade.
keep your gor coin handy
Rye Gon Gin
Novice

Post by Rye Gon Gin »

I've written a book. And I'm very careful who I let read it until it gets published and the characters get trademarked. Plagiarism is a terrible thing and has had many an individual tied up in court for YEARS!!! I think I have some bright ideas and would LOVE to make a living off my creativity. Let's hope it works out in my favor!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I'm not much of a writer, story teller, or read books that much but what is it you're writing?
keep your gor coin handy
Rye Gon Gin
Novice

Post by Rye Gon Gin »

It's a novel about a super hero of my own creation. I plan to get pictures illustrated to go along with the story. Hope you enjoy the read!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

thanks for the story. i'll have a read
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I did some work for a writer once, he was new to the scene and so I traded work for work.. I gave him some art, he gave me copies of the book. When it did well, one of the quotes was "worth it, just for the artwork" .. it wasn't just my artwork in it either.. anyway, moving forward with his success in part due to hard work of others. He continued this idea of getting artists to do visuals for his books, i told him I would no longer work for next to free.. "but it's good exposure" he said.. famous line everyone uses.. and it's a huge lump of sh.. er.. well you get the point.

Anyway, I suggest an alternate idea. That we both could do together and share not only in the creative process, but in the profit as well, as it would be a 50/50 job.. he said sure, so we outlined a bit of the idea over emails. Then I don't hear much from him for a while.. he's finishing up this or that project.. and then he releases the book.. the book we were to work on together. He took my idea and ran with it on his own. (Insert a few more expletives .. )

Just another example of someone who is only out for themselves, who devalue artists. Despite saying "oh, this is fantastic.. oh you're so good.. bla bla bla.. (give me these images for free so I can make money off of you..) " ..

I love what I do, I only follow through on a single project when I have others who encourage me and keep me moving though. I don't just do these things for myself.. which is where I love teaching. It gives me a group of people who share interests, and need for me to follow through on a project or idea. Otherwise my creative brain goes in about a million directions.. this short story, that music, this painting, that sculpture, this costume, etc etc.. I can't contain my excitement to just create something.. to explore an idea.. and the following through with a project with others is even bigger excitement.. many of us love that part of it, and to feed the addiction, we fall short of meeting our actual worth.. because we really want to work with that group, on that project and have fun and all of that.. so we devalue ourselves as well.. too often willing to share too.. getting more and more exploited until we become jaded and much of what we do is a big secret.. we don't know who to trust.. which hampers the potential of the project, and prevents of from the one of the important joys of that art, and that's in sharing it.

I always say, eliminate money, and the world would probably be a much better place.. some people will do anything for money..
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I understand your distaste in trusting people cowsmanaut. money corrupts even the sweetest nicest of things. a lot of people think that "ignorance" is the worst spirit, but I say it is "want" that is the worst one. the want for money has helped and hindered man. want uses ignorance for power, ignorance does not care of want, it's can be ignorant even to money, like me :lol: I don't care how rich someone is, but care only for their behavior. money does not make friends, it can actually cost friends.

instead of money, building a pyramid that includes all the population is more binding for society regardless of who or what deity it stands for.
keep your gor coin handy
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

I love what I do, I only follow through on a single project when I have others who encourage me and keep me moving though. I don't just do these things for myself.. which is where I love teaching. It gives me a group of people who share interests, and need for me to follow through on a project or idea. Otherwise my creative brain goes in about a million directions.. this short story, that music, this painting, that sculpture, this costume, etc etc.. I can't contain my excitement to just create something.. to explore an idea.. and the following through with a project with others is even bigger excitement.. many of us love that part of it, and to feed the addiction, we fall short of meeting our actual worth.. because we really want to work with that group, on that project and have fun and all of that.. so we devalue ourselves as well.. too often willing to share too.. getting more and more exploited until we become jaded and much of what we do is a big secret.. we don't know who to trust.. which hampers the potential of the project, and prevents of from the one of the important joys of that art, and that's in sharing it.
This exactly.

Back in autumn 2012 I started designing a device called the "Swabia 1337", an APV (advanced personal vaporizer) based on the DNA from Evolv. A good friend of mine combined his knowledge in electronics with my limited abilities in mechanical engineering and after more than 6 month of developing the result was this: http://www.swabianvape.de/online/templa ... 6small.PNG

You can now buy the clone on alibaba:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2 ... image.html

Intellectual property my ass. I designed it and noone can take that away from me. :-)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

What is a "Swabia 1337" ?
It's purpose ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, unless you take measures to copyright every aspect, you can't be sure someone else will just buy one, reverse engineer it and make their own.. nearly everything is a copy or variation on something that came before it.. so I guess it's the way of life.. but being recognized for your involvement, and being paid fairly for your work in relation to the amount of money an end product makes should be standard.. or we could just do away with money all together.. I'd like that.. :P
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I am glad I read this thread again, it's core values still hold. the love of ones work was driven by money and possession, or is it money and possession is what drives ones love. I'm a little girl with a needle, I am cute and dangerous all at the same time, Game of Thrones. is the pen more mighty? depends how sharp and how long the tip is.
keep your gor coin handy
Rye Gon Gin
Novice

Post by Rye Gon Gin »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:(These replies moved from the original Dm again thread here - b.)

hmmm, it is all ruined by money and possesion. if one draws a cave painting of a bull, does that mean any painting of a bull from then on is not original. how much different does the next painting have to be before being called originally theirs. i differ with most people on this. just because somebody spent time to do something doesn't mean they own it forever. just as if someone said they owned language. well the same goes with bits and bytes, it's a tool. in my opinion, if you want it for yourself, don't give it to the public, otherwise suffer the fate like everything else. you want it to be yours, keep it to yourself. i agree with zoom on that. it is about money and possesion, but nobody can own anything to themselves if they want everyone else to play with it. that's not practical. i'd like to know how much in a percentage a pianting/picture has to be in order to be called original. is it one brush stroke, 1000 brush strokes, or 1000 pixels, or colour, or whatever, where the hell is the boundry and who gets to make the rules. want something personal, keep it to yourself in my opinion, otherwise, TOO BAD. that's life for ya. kinda harsh but that's reality for ya. i'm not intersted in money or possesion, just fun.

I'm having a hell of a time with this regarding my writing! I'm afraid publishers will plagarize my ideas! I have to go to a lawyer and get things copy written which costs MONEY I don't have. So the way the world works, I suppose!
Rye Gon Gin
Novice

Post by Rye Gon Gin »

The world is a sad, sad plave these days. So hard to come up with an original idea anymore without being sued for property rights! I have to get a lawyer to copyright my ideas before I'm comfortable with getting my book published and that takes money I don't have. Hopefully I can find an investor.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Hi Rye Gon Gin...What kind of book did you write?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For cheap online copyright protection, try MyOws: http://myows.com/
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

By a coincidence, we've just published a new (scientific) book with Springer (in Springer Geography series). I just received my five copies two days ago. :) Hopefully nobody will plagiarise our ideas - to safeguard this, we included no ideas at all. :mrgreen:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hey Rye Gon Gin, I was wondering what had happened to you, happy to hear you're still writing your book. I'd be interested in getting an update to it.
keep your gor coin handy
Rye Gon Gin
Novice

Post by Rye Gon Gin »

Wizard Zedd wrote:Hi Rye Gon Gin...What kind of book did you write?
It's an illustrated novel about a super hero of my own creation.
Rye Gon Gin
Novice

Post by Rye Gon Gin »

For those of you interested. My book is an illustrated novel about a super hero of my own creation. The story is done and I am now proofreading and will then edit its content. I also have to pay an artist to draw the pictures and find a publisher after I get the characters trademarked. Long process, but I hope for it to be a success!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

And I wish you good luck! I always hold in the highest regard all those who write creatively. I hope that everything goes smoothly and you don't get cheated anyhow. And keep us informed on your progress!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

What are the hero's power? Is it from a radiation fallout, or some bite from an insect? Can you enlighten us on that Rye Gon Gin.
keep your gor coin handy
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

For the people defending intellectual property, beware that you do not also defend monopoly. Large corporations grow exponentially, and they eat up other people's creativity every single day. The amount of talent that is devoured and homogenized by these power-entities is immense.

If you made a game that is better than some mainstream crap, they could buy it, shelve it, and keep the standard of games down in the dumps. To my eyes, intellectual property laws are going to benefit those who can afford to enforce them. In practical terms, how much is a small artisan going to be protected by IP laws?

It ain't who done it first, its who done it best
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles