Drivers for Windows 98SE

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Drivers for Windows 98SE

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gave up trying to bring a few of my older Windows 98SE computers (Mostly Pentium 2) back to life.
I loaded a fresh install of Windows 98SE on a P4 Hyperthreading desktop. Everything went fine but I can't locate my older drivers disks.
Anyone know where I can go to find a universal drivers disk for this older op sys?

I'm hoping to play M & M on it, as well as some other older games (EOB?).

Any help would be appreciated.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Drivers for Windows 98SE

Post by Seriously Unserious »

You could try Amazon, there may be some old driver disks floating around out there that someone's looking to sell.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

You probably thought of this already, but....Do computers that old have cd rom or USB? I can't remember. On your current 'modern' machine you can possibly go to various drivers archive websites and hunt around there. You could also get hold of a USB floppy disk drive to use in your modern machine to write the drivers to, to then put the floppy into the older machine. I had to do something similar once
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Serious: I'll check Amazon. I've already checked around the net but haven't found much.

Ebeneez: I installed a DVD Rom/CD burner on the desktop. While I haven't tried using the DVD, the CD works fine.
I installed Might and Magic 7 on the computer. I need sound and graphic drivers to work with the older system and newer computer.
I did find my USB drivers for Windows 98 and installed those. I figure 1.1 USB support is all that will give me. We'll see.
Most Play and Play stuff doesn't PNP very well with this older system. I couldn't get it to recognize a 2.0 thumbdrive.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If you just want to play old DOS games, don't bother with old hardware at all. Just use DOSBox.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Yep, DOSBox is awesome if you want to run the old stuff on a new(er) machine. Makes the whole process painless and easy.

Geeky I know, but I do like the odd bit of tinkering with an ancient machine to get an old game going.....!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

DosBox is great for running old DOS games on a new computer, but it won't help for running very old Windows games for versions like Win 95/98. I don't think Win 8 is compatible that far back either. Win 7 may not be as well. It is possible that win 98 emulators have started showing up online, you could try looking those up and run any very old windows games in an emulator if they won't work on the new versions of windows.

If it is DOS games you're looking to play, DOSBox is, IMO, the way to go.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Seriously Unserious wrote:If it is DOS games you're looking to play, DOSBox is, IMO, the way to go.
MW's examples given were DOS games:
MasterWuuf wrote:I'm hoping to play M & M on it, as well as some other older games (EOB?).
As for actual proper Windows games using DirectX and such, those were rarer back in the (good? bad? maybe just old...) old days, but I've found many will still "just work," sometimes needing to set the proper compatibility modes, but still, it's still Windows. Although maybe not on Windows 8; I haven't tested that and I have no intention of installing Windows 8.

If all else fails, there's always running a Windows virtual machine in something like VMWare. That's how I run Windows programs on my Mac nowadays and it works great. :mrgreen:
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I recognize EOB, but I don't recognize "M & M".

As for Win8, I'm stuck with it on my newer computer as it came with Win 8 preloaded on it and I couldn't get it to accept Win 7. I can tell you from personal experience that some software for earlier versions of Windows won't run on Win 8, Even some Win XP programs won't run on Win 8, even in compatibility mode. I have a version of Print Shop (don't remember which one), which wouldn't even install.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

"M&M" refers to Might and Magic, probably.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The following drivers will allow usb 2.0 support for Win98SE http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/k ... rivers.php

What other drivers are you looking for?