Friends with Crows

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Re: Friends with Crows

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Ameena - The program you spoke of about the man in Africa that worked with elephants is one and the same as the man in the article I posted. I actually read and enjoyed his book The Elephant Whisperer.

Chaos - nice video on the very smart crow :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Does appear that way. Just might buy a contraption for the crows, it works by if the crow finds money it will drop it in a tube and food will be dispensed. I am hoping that they find money and bring it for the prize, this will hopefully get rid of this one pesky seagull that is also quite intelligent, watches the crows and when they get fed he comes out of nowhere and scoffs the hotdogs, then his buddies roll in. Have to feed the crows peanuts sometimes because seagulls have a tough time eating them, but they do swallow them whole, they swallow an entire hotdog and it can be seen in its throat. Peanuts are also trouble, it brings the squirrels, they are fun but they eat everything and breed fast, the neighbors do not like them either. Squirrels and chipmunks knock on the glass door to be fed, the baby loves to watch them through the glass.
keep your gor coin handy
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Getting crows to find coins to pay for their food...interesting. Maybe they would bring you other things as well - like jewelry :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Jewelry... do the best to do that, maybe a scroll or some treasure map or instructions for the gem and fire staff :lol:
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Watched a doc about the drake equation yesterday that had a part about evolving intelligence, featuring crows and jays.
The crow had to get a piece of food on the end of a string dangling from the branch it was on. It pulled the string up around an inch and stood on it with it's left foot, then pulled up another inch and stood on it with it's right foot whilst lifting the left... Then repeated until it got the food.
The jay had a piece of food that it couldn't reach floating on water in a half full test tube. It dropped small stones in it to raise the water level until it could reach the food.
Very clever!

It was on netflix, so i don't have a link for it... Sorry!
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

They are very intelligent for sure. I am afraid to get to close to them, they have to maintain the fear they have of humans, if they get too close some dumb azz human will hurt them. When you talk about Blue Jays, I had some fun with them. Was able to keep one looking all over my property for a mate. Was able to whistle to him. He came back for days, lol. Was also able to call doves over, land right on the table and thoroughly check me out as again was able to call the dove over. The most weirdest experience was with a starling, became his parent for a few weeks, taught the little bugger how to find food, he was even checking inside my ear,lol.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

My friend is still around, he has passed his life expectancy. He waits every morning and sometimes with his mate and babies in my backyard. His foot is getting worse, he can barely walk now. He'll see my wife pull up in the car and let me know she has come home. Never thought a crow could be so friendly to humans. Most people seem to think a crow is evil, but that's far from the truth. I felt like he was comforting me from our loss of our son last year over this weekend, he could tell that my wife and I were sad, it was as though he was crying with us. My friends stubs is a wonderful bird spirit.
keep your gor coin handy