What is the better browser to use?

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

What is the better browser to use?

Post by JETENGINE »

I have two browsers installed on my computer and am hit with a quandary: Chrome or Firefox? I can no longer get updates for either one; my computer is no longer supported. Which one of the two would you suggest for usage?

Awaiting your recommendations,
Jay.
Hanging by a thread.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: What is the better browser to use?

Post by Ameena »

I can't really give an opinion as I've only used Firefox and have never used Chrome. Firefox works just fine for me, though :).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I checked this thread out but didn't see much input. I've considered Opera, understanding it will still work with XP. Any useful information on this?

While I rarely use XP anymore, I keep working laptops stacked in a corner with Win 98SE, XP and Win7. Getting ready to update the two I use for personal and business with Win 10, since I understand support stops (early again, of course) in the coming spring.

Thanks for any input.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The edit feature is missing, as far as I can tell. Win 7 support ends in January, 2020.
"Wuuf's big brother"
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I use Chrome (eventually Firefox) on a notebook with XP and don't care these browsers are not supported.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If you have a choice, use FireFox. It has better privacy protections built in than Chrome, and sandboxes damaging sites (such as Facebook) so that their cookies can't track you around the web. Chrome on the other hand is owned by Google, who rely on an invasive advert/tracking model and so it's much harder to use Chrome and stay safe/untracked on the web.
mancini
Novice

Post by mancini »

Recently, I got to know about a browser named "Brave" when I looking for an Ad-free browser for my Android smartphone. It works on several platforms including Android and Windows. If you are still aware of browsers, you can check it.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I also use Brave. If you're wondering, it's a privacy specialized branch of Chrome, so chrome add-ons also work with Brave.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I looked back at this thread, hoping someone might have given some opinion on web browsers for the XP system.
I have a small business owner who has XP Pro on two of his store computers. He can't get on the internet for remote help or downloading.
Any chance someone knows if Opera is still usable for XP, or if another browser still allows access?

Thanks ahead of time for any help. MW
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Windows XP is, at this point, a 20+ year old operating system. Finding much support for anything is going to be difficult. You probably don't want to browse the internet with it anyway, because it hasn't received security patches in 8 years.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I understand that, Sophia. The folks I'm trying to help would use it for a very limited amount of time, for technical help through remote.
At this point, I suggested that I bring my own laptop, download the necessary files, then transfer (I'm sure you've done that before).

The problem is that they already have an important paint program on their computer, plus their business is three hours away.
Any suggestions for this problem? Thanks.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but they are at the point where they need to upgrade. None of the current browsers have versions that work on XP, so they are limited to very old versions -- and as Sophia points out, that's not even the main problem. XP itself is unsupported now, and it's a security risk to continue using it. I appreciate youre talking about a small business, but a basic laptop with Windows 10 on it does not cost much these days -- and their older programs might continue to work with the built in compatibilty mode.