A chat with an AOL rep

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

A chat with an AOL rep

Post by PaulH »

They are over charging me for the AOL silver service. Here is what they had to say...

20:53:55AOL UK SupportWelcome Supersonic525 ...
20:53:55AOL UK SupportConnecting to server. Please wait...
20:53:55AOL UK SupportConnected to AOL Live Help server.
20:53:55AOL UK SupportYour initial query was: Why am I charged 21.99 for AOL silver when it is advertised at 17.99? What is the antivirus I am paying 2.49 for? 20:53:55AOL UK SupportThank you for calling into AOL Live Help for Billing Support
20:53:57AOL UK SupportI may be with some other members at the moment, please bear with me and I shall be with you as soon as possible :)
20:54:01AOL UK SupportSunil Kumar has joined this session!
20:54:01AOL UK SupportConnected with Sunil Kumar
20:55:06Sunil KumarAnti virus is a software which protects your PC from the viruses
20:55:36YouI know, but I already have my own antivirus
20:55:58Sunil KumarSo do you wish to cancel this?
20:56:00YouI don't need to pay anymore for one!
20:56:15Youyes please!
20:56:52Sunil KumarYou can easily cancel it by going to keyword anti virus cancel.
20:58:07Youah, ok. What about the silver price differences?

20:58:49Sunil KumarAre you talking about the 14.99 and 17.99 difference?
20:59:16Youno, I am paying 21.99 rather than 17.99!
21:01:10Sunil KumarThat is because of anti virus which is for 2.49 a month
21:01:50Youbut my monthly bill is 21.99 plus 2.49 = 24.48
21:03:09Sunil KumarIts because you are on gold plan
21:03:47Youreally? Can I downgrade to silver? I can only get 512kbits per sec in my area
21:05:06Sunil KumarYes you can downgrade your plan to silver by calling our member services at 0870 3 20 20 20
21:05:33Youok. Thankyou

Its like trying to get through a brick wall. Phoning them takes hours to get through. I sent them an email...
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Proof that AOL is quite simply, bollocks.
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

You think THAT'S BAD?

(rushes to put two or three saved conversations with AOL Reps online)
EDIT:
(one meal later...)
My downloads with AOL (AOL is both my browser and my ISP, kill me now) usually go around 5 kbps. I don't get cable or DSL where I live, and satellite internet is too expensive. Thus, I'm stuck with dial-up. 5 kbps is really slow. Even for dial-up. I can get 10 kbps on a good day. Cable/DSL speeds usually go from 256kbps to 512 kbps, unless you're in a really good spot, in which case you can get up to 1 mbps (over 1000 kbps) and you should consider yourself really, really lucky.
If you're a techie, you know the truth. AOL isn't really an actual ISP, it's more of a giant proxy server that takes people's money.
Also, with such a poor connection, Steam (a Half-Life 2 related program) doesn't work. At all. Doesn't even try to work. So, I talked with an AOL techie to complain...

http://chishx.googlepages.com/talkwithaolguy.txt
Chish, owner of the most out-of-place Avatar on this site.
My homepage. -- Updated as of 06/11/06! Yay!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wha....? Were you talking to a robot?
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

Sadly, no!
Chish, owner of the most out-of-place Avatar on this site.
My homepage. -- Updated as of 06/11/06! Yay!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have never used AOL and have only ever heard bad things about it -- these chat transcripts confirm my worst fears!

Welcome to the forum by the way! *waves* Cute avatar -- care to explain? Toast boy?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Omg that just looked like automated messages...either that or these people are mostly brain-dead and, thus now serving as mechanical thingys, only respond to certain keywords.
And yeah, what is your Avatar? I thought it looked like bread/toast too, and the little face thing reminded me of my first stick-man animation that I did last year...
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ameena wrote:my first stick-man animation that I did last year...
When are you going to do more of those? Those were great!

Especially the marshmallow roast... :twisted: :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl my favourite was the "look behind you" one...I'll do more when I can be arsed ;). I've still got an e-mail with the...er..."plot" for an animation, that Wuffy sent me months ago which I need to get round to drawing. Well I started it but it fooked up lol.
Btw I linked this thread to Ora (we're chatting in Messenger atm) and she said - "they sohuld know better than going with them then :P" lol. Go on, someone moan at her ;).
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

A plot? A plot?

DAROOU VS. MOPHUS - WHO GETS THE LAST SCREAMER SLICE

Now that's a plot!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl...Mophus already has, what is it, an apple and something else? He doesn't need a bloody Screamer Slice as well! And he's a bloody priesty git, he doesn't have big muscles that need feeding to bash stupid scary grinning idiots over the head with ;).
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"New strategy.. let the wookie win"
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

PadTheMad wrote:Proof that AOL is quite simply, bollocks.
HAhahahahha hit the nail on the head.

Then again we recently got Telewest installed, the NEXT day the modem stopped working, then it started working again!!! A week or so later it stopped working, as did the phoneline. Oh dear! So the technician comes along and it turns out the problem was that it wasnt installed properly in the first place.

I think im going to leave this god damned city and go and find a nice comfy cave to live in.........
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles