Windows Vista

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Windows Vista

Post by George Gilbert »

Minimum specs just released by MS: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/g ... pable.mspx

Minimum recommended spec 1GHz processor / 1GB memory.

Note to Adamo / Lunever. Do not under any circumstances attempt to install this on your computers :wink:
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Life imitates art!

This is starting to look an awful lot like those crazy 3d graphicial atrocities of operating systems that are always shown in movies...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Someone watched those while smoking pot then thought 'hey, I work for friggin' Microsoft man, I can totally do that!'
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

[falls off chair]
Last time I did that was when XP first came out and they said you needed 256MB just to run Calculator. What on earth can it be doing that needs 1GB RAM?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

the rest..
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Code: Select all

int WinMain() {
    WasteMemory();

while(Memory.wasted < 1000000000)
         WasteMoreMemory();

/* Replaced RandomlyCrash() from Win 9x series */
     RandomlyCrashLessOften();
}
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, it's just sneakier ... jsut cause it doens't BSOD doens't mean its not crashed everything! Especially it's own software!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Note to Adamo / Lunever. Do not under any circumstances attempt to install this on your computers
lol I wont! I doubt if it would ever fit into my 1Gb HD :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It recommends 15Gb free drive space, probably to store the word 'haha' repeatidly a few billion times in funckyhi definition stereo innunciated goodness.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

new, upgraded version of windows calculator v.2.0336. Requirements: 10 Gb Mem, 40 Gb on HD, PXVII 500 Ghz. Now it can finally divide to 20 correctly. Thank you oh Bill the Great!!!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, it's not like windows is a system that's been on many computers and been around for years and years, it takes time with limited resources (money and guinea pigs) to tweak the system. And you know, all that optomisation they do to make sure it can run on a low a spec machine as possible too...takes time to do tha too
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

George: I wouldn't dream of using it, for several reasons:

1) I know my machine to be a bit old for that.
2) I wouldn't have installed WinXP on an old pII, but then I wouldn't dream of turning my gf's machine upside down just for RTC. RTC is wonderful, but yet wouldn't be worth the trouble.
3) If it was for me, MS and every other goddamn software company could stick all those skins and other eye-candy stuff up their arses. Ok, I mean, allowing users to use a mouse to click things was a good ergonomical invention, but I wouldn't mind if optically things hadn't changed since win3.1
4) While it's ok to have a machine with more than 1GHz/1GB, the majority of that just shouldn't be bound by an OS.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Vista WOULD be good, if the friggin MS finally adds total custom installation possibility... like on 9x (I think). XP ain't bad, IF you know how to uninstall like 40% of it :P
mikko
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

Actually it says that Vista "capable" PC would need 512 megs of memory, but even that is far too much for an OS. And Microsoft says that Vista is designed for playing games.. :shock: Well, I guess you can play solitaire and minesweeper with it. But if the OS alone takes from 512 megs to 1 gig what does it leave for the games.. :roll:

AND! Vista needs DirectX 9 capable video card (preferably 128 megs of memory).. What is more insane than an OS that requires hardware accelerated 3D graphics!? It appears that Vista would need more resources than some modern games! :shock: I will get Vista when it is the only OS left in the world.. This is plain madness..

The day Microsoft creates something that does not suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners..
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

mikko wrote:The day Microsoft creates something that does not suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners..

QUOTED FOR SURE. lmao :D

truer words have never been said :P

Actually, I don't give a flying f*k about reqs, as long as I have full control over the system, like, being able to remove everything I don't need, speeding the whole thing up.

But without 3rd party programs!!!
Speaking about that, I can only recommend XPlite. http://www.litepc.com That would prolly be the first thing I would buy (save few games) since I started using computers...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Mikko: Lol, the day there are MS vacuum cleaners I expect them to crash occasonally requiring a reboot, and having 1GB/GHz computer inside for language communication with the user that will constantly ask him what melody the vacuum cleaner's apparatus should emulate to give the user a more happy vacuum cleaning experience.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.