ie7 or firefox 2

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

ie7 or firefox 2

Post by linflas »

firefox 2 has been released for almost a month !! if you people were waiting for an automatic update : forget it ! it seems that 1.5.x versions are still being updated and 2.0 release must be installed appart.
http://www.mozilla.com

i also installed ie7, and... well, they heard us :roll:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I don't use IE7 because it breaks my web server and some other applications. (There was a joke about this on the msfirefox site, but I didn't find it particularly funny when IE7 shut down my server.) I've been using Firefox 2.0 for a while, and all the extensions I use have already been updated. I still use IETab for certain sites (including my own), but IE7 is not an option for me. It's too bad, because I really like it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As a web developer I've had to install IE7 for testing purposes (and I also have IE6, 5.5, 5 and 4 too, on the same machine), but it won't become my browser of choice. I'm too much in love with my FireFox extensions for that to happen.

It's nice to see they fixed most of the rendering bugs though. That's really going to help web development come out of the retarded methodologies we've been using for the last few years to ensure stuff worked in IE as well as other browsers.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I thought it was nigh on impossible to install IE7 AND IE6 on the same machine, Gambit? I need to google, me thinks. Someone recommended virtual machines to me... yuk.

Either way Tabbed browsing took a large market share away from IE6... And I love the plugins for FireFox too.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:That's really going to help web development come out of the retarded methodologies we've been using for the last few years to ensure stuff worked in IE as well as other browsers.
In about three years when there's some decent assurance enough people have upgraded... :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, yes, true -- I didn't mean anytime *soon*. ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

ian_scho wrote:I thought it was nigh on impossible to install IE7 AND IE6 on the same machine, Gambit? I need to google, me thinks.
http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

That's a pretty sweet deal, but I'm still afraid it will shut down my server.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

No idea what you're on about 'shutting down your server'. Perhaps you can elaborate?

IE7 is great. I never liked firefox, it was nasty on the memory, slow to load, and I didn't feel nice to use. Although tabbed browsing existed before IE7 via the MSN toolbar, it's not the be all and end all reason. IE7 has plenty of extensions, although the only one I use is called JBrowse and allows you to fiddle with the page to get dictionary definitions and kanji readings for Japanese text.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Thx Gambit. Didn't know it was possible.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Okay, if you're not running a web server from your home computer, then you don't have to worry about it. Basically, when I start IE7 and try to access my own page (usually for testing purposes), it shuts down my server. I've configured the service so it restarts automatically, but the fact that this happens in the first place is a serious issue to me.

Prior to the final release, I also used to have problem with IE7 betas. The first time I tried to use it, it broke all links in CHM documents. The second time, the tabs didn't work at all. They finally fixed all that in the official release, but then this server thing came up, so I can't use it. It might have been a configuration issue, and I may give it another go someday, but IE6 is more resource-friendly, and it works fine for my purposes.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

When the think about it IE6 was nearly tabbed browsing anyway, only on the application tool bar, normally at the bottom of the MSWin screen :P CTRL-TAB or ALT-TAB, who cares.
Still, worrying that your web server shuts down like that. As a dodgy web developer I usually get to kill the client app, and not the server.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

FireFox gets more and more bloated and suffer more and more memory leaks. I stick to Mozilla/SeaMonkey