PC's in the summer : HEAT Problem

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zoom
Grand Master

PC's in the summer : HEAT Problem

Post by zoom »

Well, if the summer gets really hot(what it is likely to become*), then working
in a room with CRT Monitors (approx. twenty computers) will make everyone sweat.
I am talking about a "non-air conditioned" room in my school
(you know the room misses the thing called air conditioning that is supposed to cool down air in cars, for instance.

*Summer here where I live ?used ? to be dry and hot (up to 40 degr. Centigrade or so, maybe Trantor knows better..)

Chances could be someone here knows tricks to cool down the temperature in this hellish setting, apart from
A) opening the window/doors
B) fans
C) putting moist , cold towels onto your neck (very much like the necklace slot in dm)

(all right , not attending tuition is NOT an option. : ) )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Are you allowed to take drinks in? Ice and your favourite juice in a thermos will cool you down quickly.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Get some cans of Magicool - that stuff is fantastic. I don't know if it's under the same name in Germany but it's basically an aerosol that you spray either onto yourself or in the air around you and it cools you down. It's brilliant!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

and likley causes all kinds of cancer :P

anyway, we had the same issue here, but eventually purchased airconditioning units which work in the winter and break down in the summer.. so really.. they haven't helped much.. except for the odd day here and there when they actually work as intended.

on those other days, We shut the blinds and open the hallway door and blow a large fan in.. it seems the air in the hallway is always cooler
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Yeah it probably does, but I'm telling you it was a godsend last summer when the temps in this country peaked at 37.5 degrees C. Unbearable it was!
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Yeah that spray stuff is cool - no pun intended - especially for the kiddies.
Beats wet-wipes!
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Bloody wet wipes, they make you smell really odd once you've used them. And sometimes leave you feeling all sticky :?
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

That's because wet wipes are usually scented. They're meant for cleaning up, and thus usually contain alcohol (cleans well, disinfects, evaporates fast, and leaves no residue unlike soap). You don't really want to smell like alcohol so scenting is supposed to cover that up, but sometimes the cure is worse... :wink:
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Get a time machine, go back to the 1980s, nip over to Britain and hire some YTS trainees at £25 per week to be punkawallahs for you. :shock:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have no idea what this thread is about... :shock:
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I don't normally mind smelling of pure alcohol - it's smelling of beer and whiskey that I'm not too fond of... That's it, pour ethanol on yourself, that's bound to cool you down.

(Actually don't - I don't want to be responsible for daft people pouring alcohol on themselves and then catching fire... nasty) Not that I'm calling anyone here daft :shock: but you can never be sure on these forums...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Thanks for the tips,cool drinks etc.
hope you all won't fry too much this summer in front of your computers.

well, if I set myself on fire and pour some alcohol over me, I will go back in time and see what happens :)
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Heh I would be afraid of the computers more that the people :D
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

lol, probably you 're right Octopuss