Advice for starting a new forum website?

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

Advice for starting a new forum website?

Post by Daecon »

Hey everyone, lately I've been thinking that I'd like to try making my own message board/forum website, however I don't actually know anything about how I would go about doing this.

I figure the best way to get advice would be to ask someone who knows, which is why I'm posting here. Perhaps the founders of Dungeon-Master.com would be able to offer a fledgling potential board owner some information on how I'd actually go about setting up a website like this one?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Proboards do a good free website forum, one of the other forums I go to had to find a temporarily site when the main site went down, and since then I have created a offshoot site under proboards with no problems

It's very skinnable, interface is simple to use, and you should have our forum set up in no time!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

try to find someone in real life. It is probably much easier to setup a forum together with someone sitting next to her /him and learning stuff this way.
I have no knowledge about forums, so that's all the tips I can give.

you have to choose a software. Drupal is a bit more complex(powerful, can give different rights to different users and such) than [forgot name :uups]. so first get some info on what forum software you can choose from.THen what you need.
Of course you 'll need a server. Well, and much free time..good luck, and btw a cool idea.. but you cannot plan everything in advance, I have seen a many forum corpses (no users / no posts) so all your effort could be a failure !! ermm. ok I'm out..