Another programming library

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Bit
Arch Master

Another programming library

Post by Bit »

For all developers here - don't know if you know this one already.
Found it today and just checked the feature list, which looks very promising.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php

p.s.: Sophia, hard to say for me, but it looks like it could beat Allegro easily - lots of additional stuff.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Another programming library

Post by Sophia »

Hmm, it seems pretty powerful, though there's nothing there that would make me up and drop Allegro-- but I will admit part of that is just familiarity.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I just read in our german programming forum about it and thought it's worth a look.
But - they say that it is just wrapping the SDL-library - which others call the 'DirectX for Linux' - can't say much about. For my needs Allegro is still good enough and is working very fine - I use graphics mode selection, simple bitmaps, something for palette colors in 256-color-mode, keyboard, mouse, play the samples, and use (only addition to the original code so far) the fileselector and some things of the config-file.
One thing I hate in Allegro is all of the font-stuff, because in this they made incompatible changes all the time - I'm glad DM brings its own font.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I do agree with that. DM made it easy because it had its own font, and (at least for DSB) it was easy to adapt the DM font into a form that Allegro was able to use. Otherwise, there's some messing around you have to do-- in particular, TTF support requires a bit of coercing. Allegro doesn't support it natively, and the libraries are not exactly intuitive.