Advancing technology vs the eternal Nostalgic

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: Advancing technology vs the eternal Nostalgic

Post by Zyx »

Hajo
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

raixel wrote: My brother works in IT and knows a bunch of people who make video games for a living. He says the dvelopers are usually creative, innovtive types who love to come up with new ideas. But then the publisher (the one with the pocketbook) comes in, all suited with a graph-chart and says "According to our market analysis, gamers like games with aliens and big guns. So put more in it." Developer: "What? This is a realistic sim of life in 17th century russia!" Publisher "well, ya, but our market analysis shows that most males between the ages of 17-35 buy 1st person shooters with aliens and big guns, and they are our top buyers. So change it. Or you can take your project elsewhere." The stupid thing is, it becomes a self perpetuating spiral.
In the indie game developers scene, there are a number of people who left mainstream business because of this reason. They now make the games they've always wanted to. And some are good enough to make a living from it.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

as a sidenote: I think if you were in the position of the publisher, we all would likely act similar.
If there is so much money involved it must be a sure hit. So it might not be very creative , the decision, but logical maybe or calculating. There are also many factors involved, so maybe the whole picture , it is not that easy.
Technology for example.
Or am I wrong ? It just sounds, like those publishers would be very subborn and cancelling people through and throughout and that is too stereotypical to sound really like the truth to my ears..
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

In the indie game developers scene, there are a number of people who left mainstream business because of this reason. They now make the games they've always wanted to. And some are good enough to make a living from it.
Lucky bastards :D