I need a new computer! Recommendations?

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

I need a new computer! Recommendations?

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey all you tech heads, I need a new computer, so I'm asking your advice :)

I run my own business from home and need to meet clients. Until now, I have managed without a laptop -- all initial client meetings have been handled using good old paper and pen. But this is no longer a professional approach. I need a portable machine for demos and the like.

Most of my work is done at home, so a portable machine doesn't need to be very powerful or special. Just enough to be able to run a few browsers, possibly Photoshop and various email software, etc. Conversely, a home desktop machine needs to be pretty powerful -- I need to be able to run many high-end apps at the same time, as well as multiple browsers, etc. And I'd like to also use it to play some newer games, plus watch HD movies.

So I can't decide if I should buy a Powerful Desktop and a cheap, basic laptop -- or just invest in a really powerful laptop that can also be used as my desktop machine? Does anyone have experience of using a big powerful laptop as a desktop machine? Are there issues with overheating or battery life being killed through overuse?

(I currently don't have the money buy anything, that's neither here nor there -- just trying to get some advice!)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: I need a new computer! Recommendations?

Post by cowsmanaut »

I spent 3 weeks looking over reviews on different laptops before I decided on mine.. only to discover the place I went didn't carry it, but a very similar one. I ended up getting it since I had only 2 days before I was going to France and needed it. I love it, but there is one downside.. it's battery.. it lasts about 40 mins on a full charge if I do 3D and around 1.5 hrs if I do just email etc. So I always need a plug around. What you need in a computer will probably not mesh with what everyone else loves in a computer. Mine has a graphics card that can do 3D and can play games like Crysis.. it has 3 gb of ram to handle most of my memory needs plus the 1gb on the card.. it has a bluray drive to let me watch my movies.. but again.. the batter doesn't last long enough to watch one :P all of these were specific needs for me.. it also does well on heat throwing it out one side and the base barely get's hot except for one small area. Another thing I hate about it is the glossy screen.. reflections prevent me from seeing the screen very well... but it's something I didn't know about until I got it.

The next machine I may get.. and I really avoided this option in the past, is a mac laptop. It can do 3D, it has an 8 hr battery life, and has low heat. The problem is price, and repair needs. I won't be using the mac OS, I'll just install windows 7 on it, (which I love now that I've used it for about 6 months). They have an Acer model which has a low power footprint and so low heat as well, it's light weight and battery lasts 8hrs as well. That one probably won't do 3D, but it'll do photoshop easy. Has built in web cam and dvd drive.. seems great for what you would do with it. I'm at work right now, but I'll try and look up the model later.. pass it on :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting. Yep -- the battery life and excessivley shiny screens are factors I'm aware of. That said, a shiny screen usually gives a deeper contrast to screen colours than a matt screen.

Do you no longer use a desktop machine and just use a laptop now? Can a laptop be switched on all day when plugged into the wall and used as if it were 'desktop' machine -- how does this affect the longevity of the battery (I've heard mixed reports on this)? Also, do most laptops have multiple display outputs? Could I run say two large widescreen monitors off a laptop -- or would I have to stick to a powerful desktop for that?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I use the laptop on a very regular basis, I got a desktop for use as well which was recently upgraded past the level of my laptop. Core I7 and the whole lot.. but I don't use it as often as the laptop because I'm often on the go, but I do apreciate the extra power and the bigger monitor etc. when I need it. For all laptops there is always the possibility of docking it like a standard PC. it has usb and monitor plugs for full size everything. I tend to use my monitor port when teaching so I can mirror what I'm doing to the overhead projector.

I do tend to leave my laptop on for days at a time, it goes into sleep mode when I'm not using it.. seems to be fine. as I mentioned the battery life is short already so I haven't really paid much heed to the possibility of it dropping in any way.

http://www.acer.com/timeline/

like I said, check the reviews.. there are always flamers out there so beware those posts.. check a few and see if you get the same response from them all. If not it could be product loyalty either way.. ie they love this brand and promote it or love some other brand and try to slag competition.. I think if you do that, you'll end up with a great machine that you won't regret.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

At work I have a desktop, but at home I use a laptop (Toshiba Tecra, about 1 year old) and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. I use the laptop mostly because it saves space on my work-desk (I can easily remove it and use the desk as a kitchen table or for hand-writing etc.), and it saves energy. I don't go to much outside with it, only occasionally. It isn't running all day, I always work for 2 or 3 hours, then switch it to "sleeping" mode for e.g. half an hour.

I have a few recommendations (well, most of them are probably obvious to you as an expert):
- don't look too much at performance, but look at quality and durability (one reason for me to buy Toshiba)
- check the chasis (box) - is it made of hardened plastics, or even with metal parts that protect it against bumps and twisting?
- prefer a machine that looks older and less powerful than it actually is - to prevent it from being stolen (ThinkPads or HPs are good examples). The less "conspicuous" or attractive it looks, the better.
- and, of course, check carefully the warranty and service conditions (I've chosen Toshiba mostly because of that)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Can a laptop be switched on all day when plugged into the wall and used as if it were 'desktop' machine -- how does this affect the longevity of the battery (I've heard mixed reports on this)?
Li-Ion batteries have their lifetime defined in terms of "recharge-cycles" (around 500-700 these days). That means regardless of how little or much the batterie is depleted, recharging it means a decrease of 1. The capacity then dignificantly drops. Depending on the powermanagement the laptop has, having it constantly plugged in -can- greatly reduce the life-time of the battery (because it gets recharged from 99 to 100% from time to time), but I guess (do not know) most modern Laptops shouldn't suffer from this.
Could I run say two large widescreen monitors off a laptop -- or would I have to stick to a powerful desktop for that?
No problem there. Laptops usually come with nice gracas that will do most of the work.
There should be at least one port to plug in a second monitor. Even my 6 year old got it. Larger ones may even come with 2 of them. (Doesn't make too much sense if it comes with a large screen already)

proz:
Upgraded in early 2009 to an i7 with 24 Gb and a dual 4870. It comes close to 250 Gflops and can run 8 parallel processes, but unless you're rendering videos all day long or doing excessive FEM/CFD calculations, the i5, which is a lot cheaper and yet almost as powerful might be a good choice. Otherwise I think you'll be fine off getting a standard quad-core, which are ridiculously cheap these days and still powerful.

complete/self-built:
You can get a complete and up-to-date PC in various stores for a few hundred bucks. Building one for yourself might cost a few extra-bucks, but will give you the nice feeling of having it built for yourself and with care.

breaking the daily routine:
There is one big advantage coming with a Laptop: you don't have to always sit at the same spot when working (which I know can be annoying). You can work in bed, in your living room, on the train, wherever.

another hint:
don't tear apart your old comp just for the harddrive and the casing! Built a new one from scratch and have it connected with the old one in a local network + using a kebord&mouse switch, so while one is busy, you can work with the other just by the flick of a button (usually a double tap on CTRL). You can then join the work on your main (new) computer using the shared drive.

lifetime/warranty:
It seems all modern Laptops have a built-in selfdestruction which is activated exactly after 2 years. ;-)
The most common problem causing the failure of a Laptop is high temperatures destroying the harddrive (flash drives shouldn't suffer from this, but are still rather small+expensive). It is wise to turn on the fan constantly at low rpm in the BIOS.

my tip:
- built a cheap (400 bucks max) Desktop PC from scratch.
- get a used Laptop or larger netbook for ~100 pounds, with a batterie that still lasts for an hour or so. You really should be able to show some of your work to your customers directly. Don't let go pen&papaer though. :-)
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

I use a Macbook Pro as my full-time machine, and I love it. The battery life is excellent (5-7 hours, depending on what you're doing). It's powerful enough to run games pretty well too. I have Windows installed on it as well for those games that don't have Mac versions. (Games are really the only thing I use Windows for anymore.) Apple reliability is very good, and the support is great, especially if you live near an Apple Store. I use it for all my software development too. Having a Mac also lets you try out making some iPhone/iPod Touch apps if that interests you.

I do work for Apple now, but I switched to Macs a few years before taking the job.

Regarding batteries, to maximize the life you should run your laptop (any laptop, not just Macs) unplugged until it's nearly empty, then plug in and charge only until full. Leaving it plugged in all the time will reduce the life. Just make sure you don't leave the battery completely drained for too long, since that can kill it. I found that out recently the hard way.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I prefer a robust laptop, I tried to get a powerful desktop and found it used up so much power and was so noisy (fans for power supply and CPU) I now don't use it hardly any more.

I won a laptop at our staff Xmas party two years ago, and have been using that mostly now, it's an Acer Aspire, and although it's very portable, the hard drive had a hard spot within a month of me getting it (sort of like a scratch on a record), and now the built-in camera is shorting out for some reason.

I don't do too much on it, but it's good for the basics.

I've dealt with Dell, HP, Toshiba, (Acer) and Compaq laptops, (all were about the same middle ground for the time for CPU, RAM, hard drive size for the average price) and I've found Dell to be the best for power (CPU) wise for performance, and durability, although they had one time a battery recall because of some exploding from over heating. I think different models from different makers over the years have had their share of lemons, so as stated above do some research, sometimes buying the new and 'best' may turn out to be bad idea as the bugs turn up after a few months.

I've yet to try a Mac, but I am thinking a Macbook will be the next to buy and try out.

I think a laptop is better than a desktop, it can be put away clearing up space, or you can use it anywhere, which could be useful if you live with other people and need quiet time in another room. The pc you are stuck where you put it.

Ether way, desktop or laptop, always remember to get some sort of backup done and not only backup on a regular basis, but test the backup, i.e. restore a file from it to a different location.

I've hear some bad stories of the good intentions of having a backup drive, like to find out the backup drive was unplugged to charge a cell phone and the backup wasn't done for 2 months even though it was auto-scheduled and the pc hard drive was wiped in a lighting storm.

Oh yea get a power bar with surge protector too!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Relig wrote:I've yet to try a Mac
Yay macs. I've got a mac mini and find it quite nice.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Macs are right out of the equation until I have money to burn. They are simply not cost effective compared to PCs.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Buy an atari ST ? My father's survived a beer-pouring accident.

Anyway, if you want a less pointless answer: I've bought a laptop of an unknown assembler: MSI.
It's a gaming laptop with a widescreen.
I don't what is available at your place, but sometime you can find good computers in a small store.
(they are often called "the chinese" in Paris because, well, most of them are asians)
The only con on my own laptop is: it heats a lot. Otherwise it's really cool.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:They are simply not cost effective compared to PCs.
For your situation, particularly if you want the "big, powerful, noisy tower PC + cheapo laptop" configuration, probably not. This is not a true across-the-board assertion though; not nearly to the degree it once was, anyway.