Which Smartphone to go for?

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Which Smartphone to go for?

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm due for an upgrade on my now 2+ years mobile phone (on contract, phone is free) and I'm looking at the current crop of "smart" phones.

I really want an excellent small form mobile computer that will allow me to surf, do all my emails, write docs, sync with my desktop, etc. I'd like GPS with maps and the phone aspect has to be top notch: sounds quality must be excellent and the actuall process of having a phone call should feel comfortable. I don't want to be seen like some of these weirdos who are holding the iPhone away from their heads for whatever reason...

The iPhone was a contender for a while, but after actually using it I found it pretty awful and weird. Too wide, feels lightweight and using it for voice calls is horrible. The on-screen keyboard is terrible too, and lack of multi-tasking is a big turn off. Plus it's Apple, so it's unnecessarily overpriced. I'm interested in the Nokia N900 as it's a much more powerful beast with proper multitasking, but looks pretty hefty. It has a real keyboard though, which I like the look of. Of course, tons of options too.

I'm really interested to hear what people are using, especially anyone using an iPhone (I just can't get my head around why it's so popular when it's decidedly lacking in the "smart" area!) I asked a few iPhone users for opinions, but they are all Apple fanboys (and girls) and totally biased ;)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Which Smartphone to go for?

Post by Jan »

I'm using this and I'm perfectly satisfied, but it's perhaps not what you wanted to hear, is it: :roll:

*shuts up*
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

:) I had one very similar for a long time and it was great. But unfortunately that's not really an option for me anymore; I need email and web access "on the go" these days and I don't want to be carrying a laptop around all the time.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I've tried the iPhone and it's ok, if you like to feel bound to Apple by a chained leash.
After that, I put my iPhone in a wash machine and it didn't quite like it. Now I'm free.

I've been using the very same phone Jan is showing above, and I'm mostly satisfied with it.
(except I'm paying an extra 15€ for internet and stuff, which I don't get to use, so i'll have to buy a new smartphone).

People I've been talking with are all shouting "SAMSUNG! SAMSUNG! SAMSUNG!" because they are to smartphone what Nokia was to good old mobile brick: robust and well designed.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Over here in the US, the cell phone/3G marketplace is a mess so you're always bound to someone by a chained leash no matter what you use. This makes the iPhone a lot more desirable in some ways. But I'm not sure what the market is like in Britain, or France for that matter.

I don't really understand what you'd need proper multitasking for on a phone, anyway.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

My friend enjoys his HTC hero, though not sure if it has everything you'd want. Certainly no idea how the on screen keyboard equates to the iPhone

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/rev ... smartphone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Sophia: Multitasking is essential if you're using it to do any kind of useful work. For example, checking emails in one app while surfing in another and working on a doc in another. The iPhone closes each app down if you try to open another, not very helpful, especially if you're using something like Skype and waiting for someone to call you while you're doing something else.

As I noted, these smart phones are now powerful enough to act as a small on-the-go computer. I would rather have those capabilities in something that can fit in my pocket instead of lugging a laptop around. The Nokia N900 is looking good for that. It runs on a cut down version of Debian Linux and has multiple desktops, etc. Still early days yet, but looks impressive. Here's a comparison if anyone's interested: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31039

@Beo: yeah, I've heard good things about HTC but know little about them. I'll check it out, cheers.

@Joramun: I don't think they are designed to be washed ;-)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This is why I said "proper" multitasking. It doesn't just shut down the app and dump you out. Most apps retain state information so that you can go back into the app right where you left off, which is effectively the same thing unless you need to do something in the background-- pretty much only the Skype case, which seems a little contrived to me given that you're on a phone, but ok.

I think the main reason the iPhone is so popular is that it provides a really good user experience for most people, had a lot of apps available (and easily available), and things like the MP3 player and phone do "multitask" with running a main app so, combined with the saving of state information, the lack of true multitasking isn't even an issue to most users.

If it is an issue for you, you probably need a phone with more beef behind it, but I do wonder if you might not be better off with a netbook or something instead of even bothering with trying to cram this all into a phone.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

HTC Touch Pro 2
It can do all the things you asked for (and more).
You can grab it used on ebay cheapo.

Windows mobile (6.1 and 6.5) does have the same glitches you know so well from Windows pre98. It will take about a week to set that thing up properly. Until then it suffers from memory overflow, fragmentation and making messes all over itself. It's lovely. You'll feel right at home.

winmob user: "Hey, I havn't done a reset in about a month now!"
apple user: "what's a reset?"

The only real downside is the outdated qualcomm 528 MHZ proz. You could try to get one out of that series that can be overclocked to 768 MHz.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Great thought Sophia & Tomi. This has certainly made me re-consider what I actually need. I probably don't need something as powerful as I thought. I'll make a list and take it from there :)
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Have you looked at the Nexus One? I've been eyeing it for my next phone when it makes it's way over here. Seems to be a great contender against the iPhone too. The 1Ghz processor might be a bit overkill though, if you decided that you don't need a powerful phone!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I own a Samsung Galaxy Spica since January and i'm really enjoying it. I strongly suggest you some Android based smartphone. Most interesting iPhones apps are available plus all the Google's specific ones and many more. There's no need of phone jailbreaking. You can even code your own apps/widgets with the design you want ! Multitasking is awesome when you get used to it but the first app i use all the time is an all tasks killer widget :)
I chose that Samsung because of its cheap price, smaller than iPhone but with big screen and directional, menu, search and backward buttons. It can be compared to the HTC Hero (same 800mhz processor; additional SD card up to 16Gb). Considering that GPS and Wifi are switched off most of the time, battery life is approximately 2 days with a normal use. Most iPhone users have to charge it every evening...
Main difference with HTC Hero is the interface. HTC added their own "HTC Sense" desktop, smooth and with nice black design. Samsung Galaxy Spica has got the classic Android desktop. Both of these smartphones are running Android 1.5 but only the Spica will be upgradable to 2.1 !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II