New Commodore computer

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

New Commodore computer

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh dear, how the mighty really have finally fallen. What a terrible way for a once great name to end up!

http://www.commodoreusa.net/index.html

I have no idea what this machine is for. It looks awful and offers nothing unique over any other current machine. Is there some kind of point, or is it just a very bad early April Fool?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: New Commodore computer

Post by Jan »

Seems more like a "hobby" attempt by a fan to me. If this is serious, I don't believe in any success.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, it's a desktop machine in an almost laptop like body. Low power consumption and easy portability is good. Though the days of bringing your computer to your friends house is a bit behind us. I would say that it looks like there is a market for it in small bussiness where you have limited counter space and need something that will run any OS so you can set up whatever storefront software you've purchased. For that it would be ideal. The key aspect here is then cost.

Otherwise, you're right, and really, how are they to offer more than anyone else when they are no longer a market option. Even Mac has turned to a PC interior. It's hard for them to do anything unique and if they did, make the cost worth while.

Look at what Sony had to do in order for it to gain the market over Nintendo. Nintendo had managed to nearly kill off Sega. They were making their new Nintendo64 and were working with sony. They had all their main software partners making new games for this new system and then mid production said, oh, sorry Sony, we're going to change the design and you're not invited, feel free to do whatever you like with the hardware.. we're not paying. They expected all those games companies to stay loyal and develop for nintendo... well, they said no way and went with Sony, since they already had a lot of money invested in the games that were in production already. So, without that screw up from Nintendo.. they would never have launched with so many big titles that everyone wanted.

How did microsoft do it? simple.. they already OWNED several top games companies already... and Sony being new had already primed the market. All they had to do was release a system better than nintendo and Sony in ability and a few solid games.

So, a tiny company like this with hardware and software that has been fully pillaged by bigger companies like microsoft already ( we all know that microsoft swept in and took what it wanted and sold the rest right? tried to find the reference on the net but can no longer find it, only references to their ownership of basic and dos, but it was something regarding software rights.. ) how can they compete? all they have left is the bits no one wanted and their name... :(
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Take a look at their materials: they couldn`t even make a well looking site. The design is ugly and poorly made. I`ve seen better photos on youtube. I hope they will update their site soon, because what I saw so far does not encourage for buying.
Anyway, if it`s thrue, I keep my knees on the project.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

What an ugly website. I don't understand what the target market for this thing is, either.

Anyway, it's not even "them," it's just some company that ended up buying the names all these years after the fact.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, I know it's just in name in nothing to do with the original Commodore. Just seems a real shame to end up like that.

What amazes me is just how darn ugly the thing is. I mean, we accepted that aesthetic 20-30 years ago, but not now. And it looks incredibly clumsy to use too -- the trackpad in that tiny space at the front seems like an afterthought. Awful, simply awful. (Where's that "being sick" smiley?) ;)
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

When I first saw this I thought "Why not" if the price point is really low. The CPU spec is OK (but it's crazy not to have builtin wireless). But a few minutes later I realized that in that case it would be completing with netbooks, so I don't see a market for it.

@cows: I remember the Sony vs. Nintendo thing very differently. Their fight stems much eariler to the middle of the life cycle of the SNES (roughly 1992), which had a Sony sound chip. At that time they were working together on the next gen and had a falling out. I don't remember the details. The playstation was born from Sony's work and the N64 didn't have a CD because of this.

As far as SEGA is concerned, (IMHO) they killed themselves. The genesis was a big hit and they kept coming out with optional add-ons which is completely opposite to the point of consoles. Confused consumers and developers weren't thrilled (and mainly stuck to the base machine). Console makers lose tons of cash on the hardware and make it-up on software sells. Ouch.

As for Microsoft, their console business has been a huge money sink hasn't it?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Roquen wrote:Console makers lose tons of cash on the hardware and make it-up on software sells.
The ones with bad business models try to, anyway-- and usually end up suffering for it.

Even when Nintendo was a distant #3 during the GameCube days they still made a profit on every cube sold; combined with their excellent 1st party software effort, this let them stay afloat and bring out the DS and the Wii. MS on the other hand still hasn't made up the barrels of cash they hemorrhaged during the Xbox days, even if the 360 is now profitable.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

I wasn't being clear. I'm only referring to the lead-in period. I don't know of a single console that was profitable during lead-in. As a example, the PS3 was expensive during its lead-in, sony has almost total vertical integration, and their manufacturing + distribution price was something like 2-3 times the sell-in price to retailers. The rumor for the next DS is that Nintendo is using a parallax-barrier LCD. If true, they can't sell it at a profit for awhile. Later in the life-cycle, everything changes.

Back on SEGA, they lost tons of cash with all the add-ons that hardly anyone bought, the Saturn was a crappy machine and Sony killed them in ad. Anyone remember the "If you still want a Saturn, then your head is in Uranus" ads. Double ouch!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Roquen wrote:Anyone remember the "If you still want a Saturn, then your head is in Uranus" ads. Double ouch!
LOL, I don't remember that -- I definitely would have done if I'd seen it! Funny stuff :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well Sega appears to be happy with the sales of their software on both Wii and PS3. They were the only ones to try at least to make their hardware upgradeable. The Sega CD was a good idea in theory. They just didn't come up with any fantastic CD games that differed enough. Their forward vision I guess hadn't adapted to the idea of going 16 to 32 bit in there either. So it failed because of that. Now it's just the same as before, play your console to death and then buy a new one entirely.

Anyway, Sony and Nintendo.. it was the Nintendo 64 being CD driven that was the nail in the coffin for Nintendo. They had a working prototype which was then taken and turned into the playstation. Later during the playstation 2 and gamecube wars Playstation 2 showed their lack of foresight themselves by not including simple things like bump map and reflections to their hardware forcing software developers to either come up with their own slow methods of trying to do that or omitting it entirely. They were lucky to get God of War to show them what you could really do on limited hardware though. After that, the PS3 showed they learned their lesson producing the most robust machine they could. Which now is getting a more accurate motion tracking system than the Wii, with a more graphically powerfull system than the Xbox, and a free online community, advanced connectivity when you are away from your PS3 if you own a PSP you can connect and play music and video and even *some* games from your PS3. So if you ask me, I think Nintendo execs are kicking themselves in the bum really hard right now!!

They need to work hard to get the post Wii machine top notch or go the way of Sega and stick to software only :P It's a shame Commodore didn't have that stronger software front themselves. They could have perhaps stayed on top of things a little better.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

cowsmanaut wrote:I think Nintendo execs are kicking themselves in the bum really hard right now!!
They'll make themselves feel better by having the top selling console (Wii) and the top selling handheld (DS), and by the top five selling non-bundled games all being for the Wii or DS. That's top five in total sales ever, mind you, not just for any one month or year. Technological superiority issues don't really mean much because gamers buy games, not technology, and if there is one thing Nintendo is doing just fine with, it's games.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I agree with Sophia on this issue. It's only us nerds who care about technological superiority. Average gamers (read: Wii gamers) don't care and the Wii has vastly outperformed both PS3 and X-Box in sales terms: it's sold more units worldwide than both the others put together, despite being technically inferior. I don't think Nintendo are kicking themselves up the bum ;)

Given the off topicness turn that this thread has taken, it's pretty clear that Commodore machine is a complete waste of time. We couldn't even discuss it for more than a few posts! ;-)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

If the thing is cheap.....and....if it uses just 5 watts.....
I might buy one. I'd put some brand of Linux on it
and use it as a headless appliance. But they would have
to break the $150 barrier for the bare-bones.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Somehow I like that thing.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I don´t find it especially bad.(and not very superbly good either)
At least there is a slight hint at the former chassis-form of the amiga 500.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Ok, they have probably 3 times the number of random games for DS and Wii, than PSP and PS3 has for their own systems. The Wii dev time is shorter and the cost to produce is lower over all. However the top games being sold for the wii have been Nintendo owned titles. Some other factors to take into it is that the wii was sold for half the price of the others and you got 100 bucks off if you traded in your gamecube (if you had one) With the wii fit board (great idea) they doubled their sales, a great marketing strategy. Hit people where it hurts!! Their fat kids or their own fat bums! Being the only ones with games that could be accessed by any human being with moving arms also helped. However if you've tried to play their wii golf you've probably uttered more than a few profanities when your light putt turned into a home run.. It's motion sensing while a fantastic idea (and the reason I got my own) was poorly implemented. After the launch of the PS3 motion controllers I expect that more people will lean towards the ps3 for it's more accurate visuals, and motion capture. My Wii I barely touch anymore. I really have enjoyed playing it, and I hope for new engaging titles to appear, but they are rare..

Anyway, ps3 has done very well despite being late to the party (the last one released) and being the most expensive until recently. The fact that it plays bluray (the winning format) also helps as I've watched more and more people gravitate to it now with it's lowered prices.

My original point though was that the nintendo 64 vs playstation 1 was a total bomb for them. 962 million ps1 games to N64 having 688.29 million games. Then look to PS2 1.24 BILLION games, to Gamecube 208.57 million. This is their current history, during the life of their consoles Sony has outsold Nintendo. Sure Wii is top in the running right now, but that doesn't negate the advancing potential sales for PS3 which is doing a very good job at covering all bases. Great graphics, sound, conectivity, and now motion control. They have already ripped off the wii sports games (yet to be released) and done them better. Not that I agree with the tactic.. but it is hard to pretend they aren't copying Nintendo anyway :P The only remaining advantage they have is their Wii Fit board. I'm sure Sony is on it's way to rip that off too :P If I were a Nintendo exec, I would still be sweating right now. They need to stay on top of things, hit another advancement.. and make sure it's good, because I'm still upset about the new supposed motion sensing imrpovement wii condoms they sold me claiming it was more accurate.. because I didn't notice a difference and I still can't putt with the damned thing!!
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

An important point here is that even when Nintendo was the big loser (during game cube era), their profits were something in the range of 1 million USD per employee. None of the other players can make that claim at any point. "The top games being sold for the wii have been Nintendo owned titles". Well Nintendo has always done well with first party titles...and is an important reason they're always raking in the cash. I think the only sweating Nintendo execs are doing is from carrying money to the bank. The system has grabbed a whole new set of consumers, and there's little that Sony can do to steal them way. It's only hardcore gamers that will pick-up more than one system. A significant portion of people I know have a wii and most of there are people who have never really played video games before. These casual players don't care about any tech points. I know someone that bought one sole for the yoga program, and have picked up other stuff since they have the machine. Perception, word-of-mouth and momentum are hard to overcome.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I like it! If it hits the right price point I might get rid of the brute in my small room

Though I could get a laptop of course.

Looks really don't bother me.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Some things have changed since this thread started 2 years ago. Who wants a new C64 or Amiga? :-)
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

the AMIGA mini looks awesome ! :shock:
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I'm impressed that you can buy it as a barebones, but doesn't that defeat the purpose?