PS3 removes "other OS" support

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

PS3 removes "other OS" support

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, looks like Sony will be having a civil class lawsuit on their hands now.. A small but very angry group of PS3 users are upset (myself included) about the removal of the "other OS" support on all systems via Firmware update. This is something they claimed they would NOT do.

On 3/1/10 Sony said, "Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases."

It was removed yesterday. Your option was to install the firmware, or only be able to play games which did not need to sign in to the network and that were not made post 3.21 (ie any future release), and movies.. bluray discs only pre 3.21 release also. So pretty much no network, and no future.. or.. get rid of the ability to install the alternate OS. (linux)

Ok for some people it was a fad, for others it was more than that. People have been using PS3 as render farms for 3D production, it's a very fast renderer. The US Army was apparently using daisy chained PS3s for number crunching. Then the other users who just loved the ability to flip on linux on the big screen and check their email watch some youtube etc. (and if you happen to mention that youtube works on PS3, then you might want to note that youtube updates flash faster than ps3 does, meaning you can't watch anything once there is an update) There are a large number of people using this feature which is now simply removed. Many are even claiming it to be the reason for their purchase of a PS3 including several CompSci students who are basing their thesis on the Cell processers inside the ps3.

I myself had a choice when I managed to totally screw up my last PS3. I had taken the previous machine to a local repair shop who said they fixed PS3. He fixed it but it didn't last long enough (a month) so I decided to take it to Sony, apparently Sony will not even fix it for cold hard CASH if you've allowed anyone but them touch it. So there I was.. a several hundred dollar paperweight in my hands and no way to play my games... so I look and see the PS3 slim is being released in about 4 days or so, I can wait and get that for much cheaper or I can pay the extra 200 on a machine that can still do that. I decide that the other OS feature would be useful for me later if I would like to use it for rendering. So now, that extra 200.. is nothing. A waste.. I'm understandably upset.

Those engaging in the civil action lawsuit claim this is a breach of service despite any supposed reasons for this. For those who don't know (I didn't until yesterday) George Hotz aka GeoHot hacked his way through the alternate OS feature to allow access to create custom applications for the PS3. This would be great for those who wanted to make custom interfaces etc. It also meant that there was potential for people to use it to play pirated games. This has not been done, and it was stated specifically by GeoHot that he didn't intend to do that. He expected Sony to fix the hole. He even gave them exactly his process for how he got in. So instead they remove a feature thousands are using. ok, it's not millions.. but thousands are not really just a drop in the bucket either..

I'm now also reading a large number of adverse issues regarding the update where the system randomly reboots or locks up , or slow downloads, or loss of HDMI. Some of these may be unrelated to the update but the locking up seems to have a large enough number to be connected.

So my statement about Sony vs Nintendo.. I must say that Nintendo users are often pretty happy in general.. while I see a lot of VERY angry PS3 owners.. 0_0