Need a new PC, but not sure of best option

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Need a new PC, but not sure of best option

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, true. I'm clearly losing my geek credentials as I get older :( ... hang on, I think that's a :)

Did you see my note above regarding drives and partitions? Any advice?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

None I'm afraid, I left this stuff behind a generation ago, only my recent new computer made by a friend and the associated fun has got me back into anything that's happening in computers! :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think I'll just leave them at default sizes and forget the raid thing; way too much hassle!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, these days your files can be saved to some USB thing the size of your finger :(

Oh, you can always hang on until you get a wireless thingie going, and use the extra drive in an external network drive case. That way you've got a back-up away from your other comps. Maybe keep it swiotched off otherwise to keep it safe from power surges, etc. Even off-site if you can store it with anyone else!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well I have to say: I'm thrilled!!!! This computer is so quiet that I keep forgetting it's switched on! And although I can't use it in earnest until I get my new screen and software, sometime next week, it's pretty damn fast. Can't wait to get it all sorted out properly. :) :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The new machine has also released the full potential of my net connection. I'm getting my proper speeds now! Before, I was getting about half the speed I was paying for, but when I complained, Virgin Media told me it was a local performance issue and that the speeds are not guaranteed.

So it turns out that the only thing slowing down the connection was the old PC -- it just couldn't keep up!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Congratulations for the new computer operating, Gambit! Well done! If you need some ice for cooling, just let me know, I'll post you something. :)

(I remember that we had to cool our partly-home-made casette player for Atari 800 XL with wet rags :D )
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

great stuff gambit!!!!!!, oh, it can be a challenge. I can say that if you bought a T drive, partition a quarter of it to do your backup on. it's faster to keep it on the same drive.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I spoke too soon. Download speeds are still great, but web pages are now taking ages to load. I've run all diagnostics and there appears to be nothing wrong. Websites were loading instantly yesterday, now they are even slower than my old machine. :(

@Chaos: Not quite sure what you mean about backing up to the same drive: that wouldn't be useful -- if the drive fails, you lose the original data AND the backup. Backups should always be done to a separate device.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Have you disabled caching somehow? It might be a security setting you've invoked?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Reset the router or unplug the telephone cable, try to reset the whole dsl thing. Sometimes they hang up!!
Yes, they do
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Turning everything off and unplugging it all for a few minutes seem to have sorted it out :) I don't think it liked being first connected to my old machine, then the new one without a reset in between.

My crossover cable turned up and I copied all the old stuff to the new machine, 130GB of it! Took many hours. Now to setup this new machine in earnest :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, if only upi have an external USB it could have been mere moments! :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Gambit37 wrote:I spoke too soon. Download speeds are still great, but web pages are now taking ages to load. I've run all diagnostics and there appears to be nothing wrong. Websites were loading instantly yesterday, now they are even slower than my old machine. :(

@Chaos: Not quite sure what you mean about backing up to the same drive: that wouldn't be useful -- if the drive fails, you lose the original data AND the backup. Backups should always be done to a separate device.
it is only for the autobackup, of course you have an external backup, i would hope.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Something has started rattling in this new machine. I think it's either the CPU cooler fan or the PSU fan. It's not loud, but it's rather annoying :(
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Could be a resonance effect. So instead of hunting a imperfect mechanical insulation you could try changing the idle rpm of your fan slightly. Not nice, but should work.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's definitely the cooler fan. It gets worse if I increase the speed, and almost disappears when I decrease speed. I think it's to do with the fitting -- I'm not sure that the heatsink motherboard clip is powerful enough to retain it tightly enough against the CPU -- indeed, it's very easy to actually turn the whole heatsink. I thought the thermal paste was supposed to go hard and seal this -- the heatsink shouldn't be turnable if the paste has caked hard?

And the wholeheatsink is massive anyway. Perhaps I should go for something smaller with a better fitting mechanism?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hehehehe, oh i so know your situation Gambit. to get a quiet machine is a matter of tinkering. i thought that a liquid cooled machine would be quiet. WRONG, hahahaha. I had a paper towel on my computer desk, it happened to fall to the ground beside my computer and landed partialy covering the large fan on the side of the tower case. and in an instant my machine was quiet. it seems the resonace frequency stopped, and i am a much happier camper at this desk. i hope something as strange as that happens for you. it did not affect the temperatures of my machine. you can add a fan at any time where it is needed. in the old days, you just would kick/smack it. hehehehe, like the TV, hahahaha, good luck Gambit.
keep your gor coin handy
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

[dp]