Help with screen resolutions! Please!

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Help with screen resolutions! Please!

Post by raixel »

I didnt know where else to post this, sorry if it isnt in the 'correct forum'.

Um, I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone here is more computer literate than I and can help me.

Ok, so heres whats up. I have a computer running windows 7, 64bit 2.8gh AMD II X4 925 processor, 8g of ram, video card ATI radion HD 4350. It is wired into my HDTV via HDMI and normally runs at a resolution of 1280x720. I have played RTC and DM on this exact computer at 800x600 without issue in the past. I havent played any DM (usually running RTC) for about 4 months, but recently decided to fire it up and play some of the new dungeons that have come out. When I start it, I get an error message saying that the resolution of 800x600 cannot be found. So I go to look in my 'display' settings on Win7, and find that, indeed, the lowest resolution it can be set at is 1280x720. The only other option is 1920x1080. But it didnt used to be this way. I used to be able to choose any resolution, up to and including very low ones with 640x480 being the lowest, and have had no trouble running RTC at 800x600. The problem is deeper than just RTC, as the resolutions settings themselves appear to be missing from my system. I have no idea what caused this, but would like to get it back, as now NO old games requiring low res will run on my comp. I tried to run some other old faves, and get various error messages (or having it run in a bizzarely small/cut off window) all boiling down to it being the computer not able to set itself to any res lower than 1280x720. Like I said before, it didnt used to be this way and changed sometime in the past 3 months.

If anyone knows what caused this or how to fix it, or even theories, I would be greatly appreciative as I cant play any old games with the thing like this and I dont know much of win7.
Bit
Arch Master

Re: Help with screen resolutions! Please!

Post by Bit »

Click right somewhere in the screen, select screen resolution
there's a small textlink with "extended options", more to the right (or such - can just assume the translation to english).
It opens a bos, where your graphicscard should be selected. Click on 'attributes' there.
Now there should appear a box where you can find and update the driver. That's maybe the reason.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Re: Help with screen resolutions! Please!

Post by raixel »

Hm. Interesting. From your advice I realized I updated my drivers about 2 months ago, and it seems to be from where the problem stems. Unfortunately the driver I have is the latest driver available on ATI's website, at least using their 'driver catalyst install' option. I will try to manually re-install the exact driver I need and not the package bundle where it picks for you your exact driver automatically and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the advice, as it made me start thinking in the right direction.