Gorilla Glass.. yeah right

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Gorilla Glass.. yeah right

Post by cowsmanaut »

new phones claiming this nigh indestructable surface seem to be fibbing a little. My understanding was that it should survive 4 feet or so of ipact. However my poor Galaxy S which is just now about a year old suffered a 3 foot fall today in the underground parking of a mall. 3 feet or so to the ground face first from my pocket :(

obviously it didn't make it.. and I'm shocked since I've seen a video that had a guy tossing his phone 3 times on the cement while walking and filming and had to make a real effort to get any damage to it... it appears it's not all that it claims though. So I thought I'd share this with you, and suggest that if you do have a phone like this, be sure to find some way of protecting it further.. when I got mine I wasn't able to find any covers or cases to protect the phone as they didn't exist yet, they do have them now, some slight rubber casing to help add an additional layer of protection.

Anyway, in about 3 days and about $150 later I'll have a replacement.. and that's WITH insurance for this kind of thing.. (sigh)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Gorilla Glass.. yeah right

Post by Gambit37 »

Ouch, that sucks! Did you have any deep scratches on the glass, or tiny chips between the frame and glass? Even very small flaws are enough to cause a weakness that will shatter the glass on an impact.
KayBee
Novice

Post by KayBee »

Eek, sorry to hear that! I have a very similar Samsung phone and I've only ever used the cheapy sleeve it came with. I've had it for about 9 months and think it has Gorilla glass as well or so they say. I've dropped it once or twice and it's been OK but I do have some scratches and marks on the screen. I'll definitely be more careful though, as my cats have knocked it off the desk (brats) a few times too.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

no scratches or nicks.. I had it in perfect condition aside from a few fingerprints.. I kept it in the watch pocket of my jeans, which is a perfect and snug fit .. keeping it away from keys and the like. If not for this time dropping it, I would have probably have had it still in perfect condition all the way to my upgrade and beyond. My hope was to keep this puppy for a long time.. I think what it was, was the fact that it does have a weak point right around that bottom central button, it's the only hole in the glass and it looks like the starting point for the crack.

It's a shame they won't give me the newer galaxy.. that would have been nice :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

These large screens do worry me. They seem too easy to break. It's one of the things that's put me off upgrading to a smartphone. There's a new glass coming out which is apparently much tougher than the Gorrila glass, perhaps when they all have Dragontrail Glass then we can rest easy!

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/01/2 ... ing-video/
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Well, where gorillas live, the ground is not from concrete and thus softer...

I have a leather case for my smartphone to protect the display, that worked so far. My smartphone will rather "break" from having a very outdated winCE 6.0 on it, which doesn't run anything with the single exception of CSB.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

D'oh, that sounds bad, Cows. :( Designed in Korea, made in China, I guess. :|

I've been using my Nokia 3410 for about 7 years now and have never had any problem with it. It's in a perfect shape and the display is even still covered with the original protective sheet. It can go directly in a musem but it won't because I'm still using it. I won't replace it with anything else. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

my collegue just next to me has an SGS2.. i can silently pick it and send it to you Cows ? :)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

hmm.. I'm sure he won't miss it, and I can read french well enough to use a phone ;)

you know, it used to be the case that when you had a deal like I have, that you would be upgraded to the current version. Now they hold on to the relics for years to give you the same phone :P My only possibility is to sell the phone for cheaper than it normally costs and get the new one.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xASJobj ... re=related

he had to drop it from much higher than me to get it to break.. :( but mine was spinning a little because I tried to catch it. That dragontrail glass looks good though..