in spaaaaaace!! there's science

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: in spaaaaaace!! there's science

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I agree. Those area amaizing.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Here's a new zero emission car from Tesla Motors, looks like a genuine alternative to gas-guzzlers. :)

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Ok, I've debated a long while about posting this direct info, because of what transpired in the other thread, I don't want this to turn into a rant on government conspiracy or whatever.. this is just for scientific interest.

Ethanol when burned completely produces carbon dioxide and water vapour.. pretty much the same thing you breathe out your mouth all day long. It's still used today in race cars due to the high power they get from it, the following link will show you that in the early stages of automobile (or OttoMobile) they use alcohol to run, however taxation on alcohol made it not cost efficient.. this had no bearing on the health of our planet because they were ignorant of this at the time, but rather that many people enjoyed drinking the stuff.. which made it good for the government to tax and make money. This lead to the use of gasoline and other fuels instead.. which were much later found to be bad for us.. but already we were dependent on them. So, that's the deal. There is another issue with alcohol based engines, and that's to do with the amount of water in it, which can freeze in the lines and block the flow of the fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_alcohol_fuel

There is a bit of an argument going around on a few sites, claiming greater levels of ozone being produced and that his is somehow harmful. So as a result the condemn the use of it, however the study seems to relate to the gasoline which is infused with ethanol.. not ethanol on it's own.

Complete combustion of ethanol forms carbon dioxide and water:
C2H5OH (l) + 3 O2 (g) → 2 CO2 (g) + 3 H2O (liq); −ΔHc = 1371 kJ/mol[58] = 29.8 kJ/g = 327 kcal/mol = 7.1 kcal/g
C2H5OH (l) + 3 O2 (g) → 2 CO2 (g) + 3 H2O (g); −ΔHc = 1236 kJ/mol = 26.8 kJ/g = 295.4 kcal/mol = 6.41 kcal/g[59]
Specific heat = 2.44 kJ/(kg·K)

it's specified that COMPLETE combustion, because you can have lower combustion rates inside inefficient engines which will produce carbon MONOXIDE .. so it's important that an efficient burn is achieved, and can only happen with the right conditions (enough heat an oxygen) at the time of combustion.

It's quite the shame that all of this is happening, because it seems like it's getting a hard time all throughout history, because of other uses of it, rather than it's beneficial uses.. shame.

I'll post more on ceramic engine blocks later, though you can look up the comapny currently working with the wankel engine design.. they seem the most promising, but seem to be at a standstill..
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

many people enjoyed drinking the stuff..
heh, you got that right, and it is easy to make your own, REAL easy. takes 17 bucks to make 4 1/2 litres of ethanol in 2 to 3 weeks, or 3 1/2 litres in 48 hrs and just under 3 litres in 24 hours. pretty easy to make. all one needs is distillers yeast and white sugar and a still, stills are easy to make too. i do not know why people don't make it themselves, some kind of fear perhaps, not sure. but we could all effectively make our own fuel and drink because it probably only costs a few cents for the yeast, and a few dollars for the sugar. this is about money, not the environment.

creating that car is what is causing the pollution, want to save the world, we need to start there, there is no way around it. don't expect a third world country to be able to afford these toys, it's just a marketing scam for the rich, and since the greater pop of the world is poor, this solution means nothing, you'll have to buy the carbon tax credits in the end to produce the cars off of these third world countries. best solution, don't drive if you do not have too.

would some kind person post the stats of how much pollution creating one of those cars makes, and how to deal with it when it is used?
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

The cool thing about ethanol, is it can function and does function in regular engines with slight modification.. it's used in racing frequently, either in an 85% ethanol blend, or pure, again, pure is better for the environment.

Even with electric cars though, there are companies like "Feel good cars" which rather than manufacture some fancy new frame, are refitting old cars with the new engine parts, replacing only what can not work in the new engine. This minimizes production costs, as well as their carbon footprint. However, this only works when the frame and components are in serviceable condition.. which usually means much older cars, due to the more sturdy construction of the time.

Again, let's not make this about scams or conspiracy .. let's focus on the available technology and it's benefits.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Awesome find Cows, that looks like a great piece of technology.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

it seems like a great idea, but it won't be easy to use in cold climates, poor little enzymes will freeze
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

No, Stephen Hawking Did Not Say Black Holes Don't Exist
http://gizmodo.com/no-stephen-hawking-d ... 1513870928

What Hawking meant when he said ‘there are no black holes’
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/haw ... ack-holes/
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh, i read it, i read more than one article. he still says there are no black holes, what he is saying now is we know there is something but it is not considered to function as a black hole as we know it. might as well call it brown hole, it's not a black hole anymore is what he is saying. and if it isn't a black hole, that means there is no white hole to come out of, it might be a green hole :). they just keep changing the terminology and the properties that they contain. i enjoy science stuff, ALL THEORIES. they''ll be a while in finding the god particle. the reason for existence IMO is not out there among the stars, but found here on the planet in our hearts and minds, and if one looks hard enough they'll find the answer that they had with them all along. and considering our DNA is a type of double helix plastic, we can see how god is a creator much like man, he left a string ;) string theory wrapped up in our DNA which we know almost nothing about its program, YET.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Chaos-Shaman wrote:they''ll be a while in finding the god particle. the reason for existence IMO is not out there among the stars, but found here on the planet in our hearts and minds
I'd also add in our souls too.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

right SU, the spirit can show us the way. we'll never fully understand it, it's over our heads. like finding the benzene ring, a vision, and in this case it was a snake chasing after its tail, like what was that guy on when he dreamed that up, who was he communicating with to find that answer. dreams are very powerful and IMO is the answer in the future to many of our questions. i know what it is like to die, that is one of the effects of DMT. i did die, my heart keeps going but my mind had passed through some sort of membrane, i felt it, saw it, heard it, all inside a dream state. you would not believe the info locked up in there. it was like staring into a black hole and inside it was impossible to describe, its beauty, all the entities. what i tell you here is no joke. anyone who is interested in this better be ready for what they'll learn coming out of it. you won't be the same after. i never felt so happy ever in my life. to know there is more, to see and hear and communicate with this strange wheel, it had alphanumeric symbols spinning on the outside, almost celtic rune like. the weirdest part of this strange black hole is these things could talk to me, that part freaked me out, it scared the hell out of me! my hair should have gone pure white, but it already is :)

to me this was enough to understand that the answer is inside, not out there.

this kind of soul searching should not be done unless the person is STRONG enough, and has their heart set in finding truth, be prepared to die and accept it, that's all i can say about it right now. glad i didn't have anything to drink or this science story in quest of our soul would go a little crazy :)
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://io9.com/the-closest-known-potent ... socialflow

habitable planet!

Now we just need a faster method of travel. My research tells me we can go at max, 10% of the speed of light.. that's our current fastest rocket design. That's about 43 generations, and to support that without serious hillbilly genetic issues (marry yer cousin type issues.. *banjo plays in background*) they would need around 2000 people that they would somehow need to feed and water and force specific breeding programs and tracking of who bred with who.. all to travel for 1300 years to get to a planet which may or may not be habitable.. but hey.. we found it :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

living in a tin can would not be fun, but if we cryogenic freeze it may be possible, no need for hillbillies or food :lol:
a lot of trek episodes involve freezing.
keep your gor coin handy
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Cool! I wonder if there is any life on there, and if they have seen the earth as a habitable planet...

Also, as well as the long journey, food, water, breeding, etc., you would need a huge amount of energy to get something up to that speed. And of course an equal amount of energy to slow it down when it got there.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, setting up a sequence of communication modules from here to the planet, launching one at a time within it's max communication distance, we could perhaps set up a communication network with them in the same amount of time. To see if the trip is worth the effort.. still need to wait several generations to find out though.. and goodness knows how long it would take for the messages to get back and forth :P
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

cowsmanaut wrote:well, setting up a sequence of communication modules from here to the planet, launching one at a time within it's max communication distance, we could perhaps set up a communication network with them in the same amount of time. To see if the trip is worth the effort.. still need to wait several generations to find out though.
Eh, I like the idea.
Indeed that is the way to overcome an issue quicky overseen about communication distance.
There is definitly a limit for a radio communication link.
Over too long a distance the Signal/Noise is so bad you cannot extact the information anymore.
There is no way to avoid space noise. About the signal you can increase the power of the transmitter, the antenna gains at both ends ( larger dishes or arrays of them ).
With our technology, power and budget we are not able to achieve much communication distance to a star systeme.
This is quickly waved away by Extra Tererstrial Intelligence Searchers.
and goodness knows how long it would take for the messages to get back and forth :P
Over 10 years.
Proxima Centauri, our nearest neighbour, is 4.243 light years from us. The great Albert said, delivery cannot go FTL. :wink:
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

it does not seem practical at this time to advance any further than the moon. they already have troubles getting our own signals bouncing back off our own planet bodies let alone 4 light years away. but science finds new ways, perhaps we can send it via dark matter which we know nothing about. we'll never see it in our life times but we can always dream it up.
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Sure, I can buy this.
This is close to a spying tool lhat can remotly picki conversation in a room by mean of a laser beam reflecting on the glass window of the room.
Sound is a pressure wave, there are many ways to pick it up, as microphones ( and ear drums ) do.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Interesting. In the movie Eagle Eye the computer uses the vibrations in a cup of coffee to listen to a conversation...maybe not so far-fetched? I found the following article about the possibility of this:

Even if vibrations from the voices on the surface of the coffee cup were large enough for ARIA to read clearly, there is the question of whether ARIA's vision is fast enough to distinguish separate vibrations. The frequency of human voice goes to 2,000 Hz and a common consumer camera samples at most 25 frames per second. If ARIA was limited in this way, the vibrations would blur together and be indistinguishable. However this assumes that the military's most advanced data gathering machine is limited to parts available in electronics super-stores. It's already established in the movie that ARIA transfers data optically from all her data banks using infrared light, which would require a IR camera with an incredibly high sampling rate - more than enough to sample vibrations from a human voice. Visual sampling of vibrations for eaves dropping is done with lasers. It is currently the only way to keep up with the vibrations. While it is true that there are cameras with a frame rate high enough that they might work, the chances that one such camera just happened to be in that room when ARIA needed it is beyond slim. Also, ARIA was looking at the cup through a window. If she could read the vibrations in the cup, she should have been able to read them in the window, and if not, whatever prevented her from reading the window would also prevent her from reading any vibrations beyond the window.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

even if spying is perfected, it does not indicate the truth. there is no way of spying and also getting the pure truth, impossible. the problem comes from NUMBERS, they lie. so science is flawed by way of numerals. it's the reading of the numbers, not the numbers themselves. time is the factor here. once a moment of time has passed, the original stat has also passed, only generalization can be made. we say compare apples to apples, yet no apple is the same. a flaw in human thinking. computers will never figure that out, even we can't figure that out. it's all means and averages. computer algorithms are flawed, based on numbers that we can't read with 100% perfection. that's nature. once perfection is accomplished, we'll stop living. life is NOT perfect, that's why it's life. so what ever data we acquire through science it can't be relied on a 100% true, that is real science, ever changing. to see coffee in a cup vibrate could signal that a dinosaur is about to arrive ;) or a fly is drowning, it's all in the reading.
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Sorry, this looks like BS to me. There is very little about how this is suposed to work and this little is just mumbo jumbo.
Well this Skunk Works, stinks.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I think it is bs too, but we do say that about a lot of things and time given, they end up happening.
keep your gor coin handy
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

If this is from Lockheed Martin it is unlikely to be a scam, no?

The problem is that fusion power has been "30 years away" for the last 50 years or so. At least now it is down to 5. :wink:

Getting fusion to work is not a problem, putting getting it to generate more power than it consumes is. It looks like this was kind of, sort of, done, in way, in a reputable lab (they generated more energy than the fuel absorbed, but not more than the total energy used - i.e. some heat was wasted).
johnnystorm
Novice

Post by johnnystorm »

We talking about time travel basically? I feel like that's not something that will ever happen on planet Earth, despite how much we want it to!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

maybe my extension cord is long enough :lol: to produce a sun I think would be an act of god. a stable source of power for millions of years if not billions, be interesting to tax and charge for it. then there is the, sorry for the melt down part, too. talk about AGW problems :shock:
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »