Curiosity landed!

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Curiosity landed!

Post by beowuuf »

Woohoo, it was so crazy that it did work :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Curiosity landed!

Post by Gambit37 »

I was going to get up early to watch it online but having got back late from long weekend I decided to sleep later. So I only just saw the news. Very exciting! There are some low quality pics already but only from the haz cams. Good pics should come in next few days.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, my dad got up early to watch it - the sound of him clomping down the stairs this morning woke me up (I already knew he was gonna get up and watch so I didn't wonder what the noise was), then I could really faintly hear the talking from the NASA site once my dad put it up (I was still in bed of course). At some point I'd vaguely dozed off but a load of cheering (from the comp) woke me up, so I figured it had landed okay and stuff. When I got up myself and went downstairs about half an hour ago I told my dad and he said that yes, it all went absolutely perfectly and stuff. So that's cool :).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Curiosity reports an unconformity:

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19396270)

(I just like the sound of the words :) )

But if anyone thinks there's some life on Mars - (s)he's wrong because Chuck Norris has already been to Mars so there's no life possible there! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I like how they call it an "evidently missing piece in the geological record". Followed by a picture of some rocks and white dots. It is not evident to everyone!

Still, I suppose it is good that we sent a robot to another planet to shot things up with lasers. It will show the Martians that we mean business.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

oh_brother wrote:I like how they call it an "evidently missing piece in the geological record". Followed by a picture of some rocks and white dots. It is not evident to everyone!
You don't happen to be a scientist, do you? :)

(in the science, if you're not sure about something / if you can't prove it / if you don't want people to question it, you say it's "evident" so that people won't dare to ask because they don't want to look stupid asking about something that's "evident"; similarly, you can use "obvious" or "apparent" - these words work like "padding" in scientists' half-empty findings)
oh_brother wrote:Still, I suppose it is good that we sent a robot to another planet to shot things up with lasers. It will show the Martians that we mean business.
Yeah. In the old days we'd have sent in a gunboat. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Ah, the girl with the mousy hair is finally gonna have an answer ! Since then, she's probably became jaded about all this, though :wink: .