Windows 8

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Re: Windows 8

Post by Rasmus »

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Windows 8, but I have to say that I love it. I think the fullscreen start menu is wonderful :) I've always had problems on previous versions when it comes to categorising all the programs and games I have had installed, and after a while the start menu is just a big mess. So I have ended up creating folder on the desktop with the games and programs installed, but when I have to reach them it is always a pain to minimize everything, and I can't have all the games and programs as a quick icon on the taskbar..

So I like it :) And I have not experienced any problems with it since I got it installed in December, and if there is some new mechanic I don't like, there is always an option to have it like in the previous windowses..

I've noticed that a lot of people feel like you do Beo, first they dislike it, but when they get a hang of it they start to accept it more and more.. But of course, I truly understand the frustration when installing windows 8 and it deletes all the previous preferences..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I just tolerate it :) And only because I've pushed it as far to being win 7 again as I can. I think that's how MS go - they make a buggy/weird OS, then they iron out the kinks. 98SE fine, Millenium appalling, XP was fine, Vista was meh, 7 ironed out Vista's kinks and was fine, and now 8 is meh.

To put it another way, I actually took the plunge with this laptop thinking I could swap with my mother's laptop, but all the 'simple' interface stuff that should have been tailored exactly to her ended up being convuluted under the hood or just not having the simple features even she needed. You know, like having outlook actually possess all the e-mails on the server, or actually having a simple interface to select music in the supposedly simple media player.

Any, I recognise just like apple's stuff, this design gets tailored to a certain way of being used, and if you use it that way, it's good. Just I always find myself on the wrong side of that, and something has been hacked away or disabled that I used, in favour of some way of doing something that is worse for my preferences.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I'm definitely not happy with Win8. I've been having a critical problem with the tablet start menu on my win8 computer which has had it in the repair shop for the last week. The Start tablet screen would freeze after a few seconds, and those tools accessible to the right of the screen? dead as a doornail. I could click on them all I wanted and get no action, that means no shutdown button. I've also had Win8 crash 2 times since I bought the new laptop with it back in mid-April. That's just while running the basic OS and only using bacis OS features too, not while running/doing anything fancy.

I'm finding WIn 8 just way too buggy and awkward for my liking. It may work better on a touch screen device, but to my way of thinking, M$ would have been much better off making Win8 as a purely touch screen/portable device OS competing directly with OS's like Android, and left Win 7 for the rest of the devices. Win 7 handled laptops and desktops perfectly fine, and is great for that.

IMO Microsoft has made a huge blunder in trying to make Win 8 do everything for everyone. There's an old saying that comes to mind whenever I think of Win8 "Jack of all trades, master of none." In other words, Android and IOS are better then Win 8 for handheld/wireless devices, and Mac OS and Linux are better then Win 8 for desktop/laptop computers now.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

they didn't keep up with the Jones, try and buy windows 7, or update vista to windows 7. it is very hard to do, they try and force us on to windows 8. i managed to get 7 for my spouse , it took some looking around. they blew it with windows 8, i think you're right SU, they should have left it for app devices.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I did buy windows 7. I would need to flash my BIOS to an older version that supports windows 7 to install it on my computer. If Win 8 continues to give me problems I will definitely be motivated to do that.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

They should app-ologize for that
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yeah, they took a bite of the app-le
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious