History of Amiga

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

History of Amiga

Post by cowsmanaut »

Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: History of Amiga

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I watched the first 5 mins, and will watch the rest during lunch. Amiga has always been a computer that i'll love. had many many hours of fun with friends and family. during that time I didn't know anyone with a computer so it was interesting to many back then. people were afraid of computers back then, thought they needed to know how to program, they just were not use to keyboard and mouse. those were the dayz when we'd all sit in front of the TV and watch and play together with a case of beer. so much fun. it is when they changed over to the PC and I couldn't play Eye of the Beholder series that I left the Amiga, but not until after buying my first hard drive at 40 meg. I remember those dayz.
keep your gor coin handy
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Love this vid - awesome!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was surprised to see that Amiga had been it's own company first, I had no idea that it wasn't always under Commodore.. and that whole Atari thing.. trying to seriously screw them over.. oh man.. It adds a new dimension in the Amiga vs ST that has stood through the ages.

Amiga is still around, sort of, but nothing like it once was.. Then again, same can be said for Atari..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting looking Amiga book on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... ommpendium
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Early version of Deluxe Paint source code released:
http://www.computerhistory.org/_static/ ... urce-code/

This is pretty cool -- my first real experience making digital graphics was in Deluxe Paint. An awesome art program.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

nice :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, it turns out that 30 years ago TODAY is when the Amiga was first introduced:

http://amiga30.com/

And that Amiga Visual Compendium book, mentioned a few posts back, is now available to buy:

http://www.funstock.co.uk/commodore-ami ... ndium-book
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, boy, 30 years! Feels like yesterday, doesn't it? I've always been an Atari man, but I've got a lot of nice memories connected to Amiga - I particularly remember a great deal of time spent playing the incredible Hired Guns on it with my friends at my friend's place in the mid 1990s. :P

I wonder how many kids nowadays would identify the word Amiga as "a computer" and not "the name of the future US president". :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

and now Commodore make smart phones :D
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Very enjoyable.
And to think... It could have been the Atari Amiga! I didn't know this.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I missed Cow's post about Commodore making smartphones. Here's what he was talking about:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/07/commod ... martphone/
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

So, this showed up on Facebook today...
https://www.creativebloq.com/reviews/a5 ... QnbyL0JTWQ

a new A500 mini.. now wondering how badly I want it.. I mean.. can I get deluxe paint on it.. hmmm..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've followed that for a while. Was tempted to get one, but then realized that it was just nostalgia at play, I would never really use it, and it would be a complete waste of money. Your mileage might vary ;-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, the keys look pretty small for typing.. and the games list is not all I could hope for.

Emulates Amiga 500, 600 & 1200 (ECS/OCS/AGA)
Save & resume game functions Via USB, add your own games, update the firmware, and connect your own devices (USB memory stick required (NOT supplied)). THE A500® Mini is compatible with 100's of classic Amiga games and demos, utilising WHDLoad for simplicity (games must be legally obtained/purchased from the legal owners)
50/60Hz in 720p HD via HDMI
Multiple scaling options & CRT filter
Full list of 25 games:

Alien Breed 3D
Alien Breed: Special Edition'92
Another World
Arcade Pool
ATR: All Terrain Racing
Battle Chess
Cadaver
California Games
The Chaos Engine
Dragons Breath
F-16 Combat Pilot
Kick Off 2
The Lost Patrol
Paradroid 90
Pinball Dreams
Project-X: Special Edition 93
Qwak
The Sentinel
Simon the Sorcerer
Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
Stunt Car Racer
Super Cars II
Titus The Fox: To Marrakech And Back
Worms: The Director's Cut
Zool: Ninja Of The "Nth" Dimension

No dungeon master or clones like EOB..
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

CADAVER was a dungeon crawler.
THE SENTINEL I loved this game, very addictive, completed up to the end: Park 9999. Weeks of hard work.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Estoroth
Novice

Post by Estoroth »

Ah Amiga 500 my second computer after the Amstrad CPC6128, I have bought the 512Ko extension just Dungeon Master. :-)
The list of Game of this Amiga 500 mini is very poor compared of the list of game released on this fantastic computer but I think that for license reason it will be really difficult to get a lot of game.

My favorite game on the list are

_ATR: All TERRAIN RACING: Very good game, I have played a lot. The only regret it is that this game have been released when the Amiga starting to be end of life.
_KICK OFF 2: Awesome football game, maybe the most local multplayer game I have played in my life with the first Kickoff.
_PINBALL DREAMS was a very good flipper game, I have very good memories of this game and the sequel Pinball Fantaisies.
_ANOTHER WORLD is fantastic game too, maybe little short. I have bought the 20th Anniversary Edition on Steam many year ago and have a lot of fun to play again !
_THE SENTINEL, the concept is awesome but I have never finished the game.

In a category of Dungeon Crawler, I would love to have Dungeon Master, CSB and Black Crypt added on the list of games provided with the Amiga 500 mini.
And I almost forgot PUSH OVER, I don't even remember how many hours I spent on it on my Amiga 500. :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I didn't have a lot of games for Amiga. I'll try to remember...

Speedball II
Dungeon master, Dungeon master CSB, Dungeon master II
Elvira
Elf
Shadow of the beast(with tshirt)
x-out
Battle squadron
Prince of Persia
EOB
treasure island Dizzy
International Karate
Gods

Then a bunch of demos that I played and re-played many times that came with my Amiga power magazine. First Samurai came with a making of spread showing desings and graphics and the first level. There was a top down dungeon game with a little character that talked back at you with a british accent. I think it came quite late in the Amiga lifespan and I'm not certain if the game was finished. I don't remember its name and can't seem to find images of it.

In that list above, I played Battle chess, but not on my computer.. I also played Paradroid.. but on C=64. Also my dad had Zool.. but I never played it. So really, it was just Speedball II that I would know. I find that nostalgia plays a big part in wanting to play some of those older games again. A belief that they were in some ways superior to modern games, if not in graphics, but in gameplay. The truth is, most are not. While some are.. Dungeon Master for example still lures in younger players when exposed to it. So, I'm less inclined to get a system filled with games I don't have nostalgia for. Better to just get on an EMU ..