DM Java - Black Crypt remake

Custom dungeons for DMJava
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Interesting enough i saw a picture somewhere (can't really remember wich site it was) of the under-water level, but can't find it... found this instead :

http://www.ravengames.com/blackcrypt/screenshots.php

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,9528/

http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/SQLFrameset.php3

http://www.petitiononline.com/bcrypt/

http://retailsupport.ea.com/tech_suppor ... lack1.html

If anybody finds more stuff i would be very gratefull for a link :)
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

It has been quite a while since I did an update on this. Once again I've run into some issues and my personal time has not left me any extra time to work on Black Crypt. I didn't realize how hard it was to copy images (monsters, weapons, walls).
I'll try to pick this up again but don't hold your breath. Sorry.

Relig
Ed

Post by Ed »

Relig wrote:I wasn't able to get the monster to turn around. It's always facing towards me.

I guess if you can start getting it weak after hitting it with the special sword you might get it to run away. I haven't gotten that far yet to test that. So I don't know for sure if there is a back view of it or not.
Oh god.. please tell me u got ALL the monster gfx from BC?
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

This has been really put on hold as my laptop has gone on the fritz.

The video has gotten so bad, that I had to ship it off to Toshiba HQ to get it repaired.

I'm still going thru the game again caputuring the monsters as I go, I believe I've gotten as far as the water level.

This is harder than I first thought but will continue it as I can, once I get my laptop back. It's going to be a while but I will keep at it as I find time.

Relig
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have successfully recreated two black crypt levels for CSBWin using maps from the Raven site. Graphics will be somewhat harder as BC used 32+32 colours (32 extra half bright), but the levels I have done play almost exact.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey Relig! I dont have Java at the moment, so I cannot see the results of your work. Could you put some screenshots here (or on your DMJava page) then? Thx.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

very nice to see theres a BC dungeon in the making, i too have been screenshooting monsters from all angles, and a few things for sure, there is no back views on some monsters, and the dracolich, only 2 views, closest front and attacking, sad really.
Immortal Dungeoneer.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Is that project still alive?
Am very interested about it.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I'm afraid this project has stopped.

I just don't have the time to continue it any more and give it the proper attention it deserves. :(

I also don't have enought web space to upload my files/work done to share, so unless someone know of someplace...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

if you had space to upload it to when you were done.. would you?
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I'd like to upload what I've done right now. I don't think I'll ever finish it.

it's been a while since I did any work on it and I just don't have the skills with editing the graphics right. If you want what I've done so far, let me know PM me and I can upload it on a site of whomever. The DMJ site I used didn't allow that much storage.

I have two rar files of what I've done so far, one is the dmj program and dungeon (didn't know how else to package it), the other is all of the images I extacted from the Amgia version of BC. The images file is 2.63 MB while the other is 28.5 MB.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

minus DMJ.. which they can download themselves.. how much is the dungeon?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Don't know if it will be useful :

http://www.christoud.com/Jeux/Black_Cry ... _Crypt.htm

It's a french site, with demo for PC, manual, scenario (fr) and solution for BC (in english). I suggest you use the demo only with dosbox emulator.

You can also hack it for graphic files...

Screenshots here :
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2004/00009945.htm
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

minus DMJ.. which they can download themselves.. how much is the dungeon?
I only got two levels completed, only the first one is realy close to be done. I spent most of my time trying to extract the images, then editig them.

I added sounds and new weapons, armor, which is mixed in with the default DMJ files, plus added some of the DMJ extra files so I wasn't sure which is which now.

I'm rather disappointed now with myself for not being able to get this done. I really thought I could.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was going to say email them to me, but the file size of that other one is too big to attach.

Gmail now requires under 10 megs for attachments
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

i can go thru the folders and see what i can do to extract what is needed. i can also use winrar to chop up the zip files inot smaller chunks. it would ean more e-mails, but could work.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

sure.. let me know if you work it out. I'll post it on my webspace for a short time for anyone that wants to grab it and take it over.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I'm sending you something now to your hotmail account...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Its VERY usefull. I wil try to do something with that on RTC. Not BC clone but some other labirynth with similar atmosphere.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I got cool idea to made Black Crypt 2 called "Red Crypt"
Already i got intro (designed for RTC) here is screen: INTRO
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Re: DM Java - Black Crypt remake

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

I'm bringing up a very old discussion but... The link to Relig's stuff is dead, so does anyone still have the Black Crypt graphics, or some part of them? I can't find them anywhere... I know there is some of them in Conflux and I read about extracting them from WinUAE saved games ( http://eab.abime.net/archive/index.php/t-22337.html ), but maybe there's now a direct link to these graphics somewhere?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No-one has ever ripped all the graphics as far as I know. Something to do with the way they were stored in memory made it difficult apparently.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Thanks for the answer Gambit. After finding your name on all the "Black Crypt graphics" topics on the web, I guess you know what you're talking about.
I extracted the graphics from Conflux yesterday, and I gave the GfxRip thing a try, but it doesn't seem very usefull. Maybe the easiest way to catch some of my fav graphics would be to take in-game screenshots...
I don't know what Relig had extracted, but I would be glad if someone has a backup of his files.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have a few screenshots I can share with you. I was going to screenshot an entire play through on WinUAE, but I've never been able to find the time. And yeah, that was me on all those other Black Crypt threads :-)
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

I found an old game saved before the final fight, and I picked many screenshots already as you can see. The rams were the first thing I wanted to extract, and you know what? They have the same colour as their level... Painful.
I haven't been able to go back to levels higher than the 13th BTW, and no bosses as well since the're all dead. Then yes, I'd like to have your screenshots. I think I'll upload the graphics I succeeded to extract myself, when I'm done.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There's not many screens it turns out, plus some are ones that I found on the web, but here's what I've got. Hope it's useful :-)
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/bla ... screens.7z
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Thanks again. I will probably grab some graphics from them, yes. Maybe not from the low-res ones. Talking about that, 1920x1080 resolution for Black Crypt... :shock:
I think I'll play the whole game again trying to catch the monsters graphics, as well as the doors and some items I haven't yet. I think I'll do it later, I already have about 200 gfx (66 from BC) to add to my RTC dungeon, including 27 nice monsters. That's too much work already. :?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Technically, you only ever need low-res to grab from (320 x 240) -- with something like PhotoShop you simply then double the resolution for RTC. Similarly, if I provided images too large, then resample down with a "nearest neighbour" interpolation.
Anyway, it sounds like you have a lot of good stuff from Black Crypt, I wouldn't mind seeing what you've got.... :-)
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

You're right, indeed low-res is enough.
I actually have some problems about that: most of the time, the inventory items gfx I grab are 46x36 or 42x44 or whatever. I made the choice of resizing them (nearest neighbour) to 32x32 (in order to put them into RTC), but it's of course not the perfect solution. I also made the choice of suppressing shadows for items in inventory, that's another difference between BC and DM...
Here is what I have made by now, including the final graphics and the screenshots: http://wtrns.fr/9pdae1dE51AXgHg
I also have some videos for the creatures sounds.

Note that the link will die in 2 weeks. I'll post the final gfx+sounds folder when I have it...