New Unique Game.

Custom dungeons for DMJava
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: New Unique Game.

Post by Gambit37 »

Will be a cool effect though ;)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You can patch the whole dmjava as an exe with an installer and everything now. I doubt AlanD had that possability when he first released DMJava!
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Lol beowuuf you made my day ;)

I'm going to have an installer for the game as well as the proper java version installer included, else getting dmjava up can be a bit of an annoyance. I will also release all my graphics, sounds, etc to everyone in case they want to use any of it.

I've got quite a bit of work done and the game written out, however doing data input right now (items, monsters). Inputting stuff in dmjava can be like boxing with it, you got to trick it sometimes ;)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

installer... does that mean windows installer?
I would like to play the game on a macintosh, with java it should be no problem, no?
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

If I get off my lazy butt I'll finish cleaning up the engine so that an Installer wouldn't make (much) sense.

(The mac does support Java 1.5, doesn't it??)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

yep mac should be able to support Java 1.5.
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Did this game ever get done?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Game is still in progress, just a lot of work to do.
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

sounds interesting. I enjoyed reading about the progress, then suddenly it was silent. Glad to see it's still a go.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good to know it's still happening in the background!
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Sorry for not so many updates, slowly but surely working on it. Will hopefully update after christmas.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I know some people will not like the no boxes look, but change isn't always bad! Any suggestions or comments?
Am prefer no boxes method in RPG games, this look very good! In Ravenloft dolls have shapeless face and maybe you could use this here, well better than no head. For example modify body to look like stone or wood? Or play solo with always the same face.

Am also using Daggerfall stuff in my new dungeon but in other way, am dress up body and fit face to make many different NPC. They are made like pillar, which just stand there and text on ground before them, which look like short conversation.

Best monsters are from Dungeon Hack, because need just resize them double and make pink transparent background. Everything in them fit very well to DM.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I am familiar with the ravenloft game, I was always a fan of it. I'm thinking of either a shadowed face that you can't see in the inventory or assign a set face to each npc/sheet. Although I will keep your idea in mind, as you brought up some very good points Zed.

During story events you will see the npc standing in front of you and the dialogue box will appear with the text, as well as .wav file will play with the npc's voice repeating the dialogue. I'm a fan of bioware games and would like a social system similiar to it.

You're correct about Dungeon Hack having some great monsters, I looked around for quite a while till I decided on daggerfall monsters and items. I liked the idea of using monster set that hasn't been seen over and over again. The daggerfall monsters I had to resize as well and all of them are done.

Currently I'm adding all the items into the game and talking with Roquen about a better shop function for dmjava. Creating a shop in dmjava can be done, however is a long process, with several bugs appearing. Dungeon Testing is still in progress, as well as several new additions. =)

Thank you for the feedback Zed, any more feedback is always appreciated.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Which Daggerfall monsters are you using? Due the fact it was years in development and had many different artists with no clear art direction, there are several different styles. I'm using some of the old-school pixel-painted hand-drawn creatures (there are one or two). I think from your screen shots you're using the 3D modelled sprites?
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Yes, I am using the 3D modelled sprites. I really like a 3D feel to a game, although it's 2D.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Have new idea about talking with some monster (boss) before fight, he will have two version: front view as pillar, some conversation on time delay triger, then pillar unvisible and generate monster in the same place. He will say something and then attack.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually Zed, I had some heros in a tavern that worked like that for character selection, except you could have a monster and pillar. The monster ensured you don't 'oof' walking into them, and meant if you attacked instead of clicked on them, then the monster was killed, that monster removal removed the pillar anyway, except the monster death instead of destruction would drop the correct version of the monster.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

BP dungeon master, especially java, already has it.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Dungeon Master Java has a event system which will show a picture, as well as dialogue. I'll have a .wav file play as well with the NPC actually speaking. You can also click on choices and change the event and other things.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Good to hear the project is moving on!!!
BP, please make a backups; everytime you close the editor, make a rar files of all your stuff and send it to your own email box to easily recover your work if something happened.
I keep my knees on your dungeon!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

After my hard drive crashed last time, I backup a lot!

I'm glad so many people are interested in the game. =)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You and Roquen have put a lot of work into it already!
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

beowuuf wrote: except the monster death instead of destruction would drop the correct version of the monster.
I dont tryed it before but its interesting idea, convert into new obiect after death: new monster. Huge boss could have three versions, healthy, damaged (with blood scratches) and nearly death with cut limbs. His attack methods could change, first fight in close combat then escape and shoot spells.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds good to me :D