New Unique Game.

Custom dungeons for DMJava
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

BP: I was asking about original DM version, not DMJ.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

In DM, you can appear to take damage just standing around when your stamina is low because it costs stamina to recover mana, and mana recovery happens even when you have no stamina. So, what happens is, the game engine gives you back some mana, tries to deduct stamina, finds you have none, and damages your health instead.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

well, this is technically damaging health.
also if you have Stamm with no mana, he should be fine - not losing
heaaalth when starving etc..
edit:
I know this is flawed thinking
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think I shared my thoughts on the DMJ game engine with BP in chat, but they match what Ian said about poison, stamina loss at low stamina levels (not just 0) and the level spacing.

I really like how the body inventory has turned out, the idea to have the weapon icon floating at the side for ease is great - will you do something similar for rings, necklaces, belt pouches, and other fiddly items?

Anyway, from an ambitious sounding project in a less used engine, with roquen's help this is definitely one to watch.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Thanks beowuuf for your thoughts on it. The stamina and poison damage has been fixed and isn't insane anymore. Roquen is currently working with inputing a audio system for background music (dmjava doesnt support this except by step plates). I'm still working on how the inventory will look completely with the new setup as well as piecing together armor things together.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Stamina damage is now simply (pseudo-code):

stamina = stamina - staminaBurn
if (stamina < 0) { damage(-stamina); stamina = 0}

So you only take damage for pushing stamina below zero, by performing an action, starving, etc.

For poison, I did a quick hack first pass which simply toned down the amount inflicted.

By level spacing you mean mastery levels? If so, the code looks like it takes twice as many points to advance. Is that the 'feel' that people have?

For the body inventory: all items can be defined to have display in either hand (actually can be defined for all slots).
A quick summary is that for each slot an item define can use up to four images (could easily be increased if needed) with a registeration point and drawing depth. Multiple images allow for construction out of parts as well as layering with other images (including the body...and the body is defined as a fake item with a hardcoded name).

So if BP was crazy enough, he could have things like necklaces hanging in either hand, wadded up clothing, etc, etc
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

So if BP was crazy enough, he could have things like necklaces hanging in either hand, wadded up clothing, etc, etc
I will definitely tinker around with the multiple images layering, it really has alot of possibilities (not to mention fun).
The poison and stamina fix is really improved compared to orginal dmjava damage.

So far the game is coming along quite nicely, piecing together the armor sets is quite fun, its quite enjoyable creating diffrent sets of armor to put in the game.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You know that this thing is going to be so big, you could ask for dungeon layout ideas or sub-plots from others. As you have the last say in it anyway, you could implement a complete dungeon level from just a few scribbles on a piece of paper.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I have been doing that from couple people that is helping me test, if anyone has any ideas just email me or we can talk in chat, new ideas always welcome.
The game has had a major setback because my hard drive failed yesterday and had to replace it. However I have been backing up my game so haven't lost more than a few days of work.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ha! I told you once on a chat, to make a backup frequently, because your HD may sudenly die!!! :cry:
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Yep and thanks to you I have been more dilegent on backing it up, so the damage wasn't as great as it could have been.

Whats even worse my 2nd computer the power supply just died on it just after i moved the backup files back to the orginal computer.
I don't like when stuff happens to my computers. :evil:
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Broken_Paladin wrote:... my hard drive failed yesterday .... However I have been backing up my game so haven't lost more than a few days of work.
This is wonderful news (that you've not lost too much stuff :? ). Go for offsite storage next!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm backing up my projects today! :shock:
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

BP, I hope you remember exactly what you did before the crash? And I hope there wasn`t much of work? Maybe you can recover your lost data to safe your work? While doing the same things again, you can make it better than it was before!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Duckman
Adept

Re: New Unique Game.

Post by Duckman »

If this is true you have already made a dungeon twice size of the largest existing right now. I think it's really time to give it an ending or a sequel ending if you still want to do something. I believe this will create the category "very large dungeons", spanning 30 levels or more, about a week of gameplay without resting, when you decide to release this one. Hope it's soon.

EDITED: quality looks like top-class too, escepially when the fact that very high-quality dungeons are almost impossible to do with DMjava is taken to consideration.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I am back from a long absence due to my life going crazy. Sorry to my friends for such a long break without any communication, it just wasn't possible.
I'm going to work on the game again and hopefully be able to finish it this time. Most of the game was lost during the chaos, however I have the engine modifications, graphics, music, etc backed up online.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good to see you back around, sorry to hear about the chaos!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Hello BP, glad to see you`re back! :) Hope everything will move OK in your life!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I still have quite a bit of work to do as I just unpacked everything from the web and done some work. Here is some work in progress that I'm doing, every monster has a; toward, attack, left, right, away graphics as well as sounds. Some of this I might have shown already, but wanted to re-update everyone what I was doing.
Roquen has done all the source editing in which none of this would be possible. Currently all my tilesets are from kelly's website. Any suggestions or comments is always welcome.

A skeleton attacking in a diffrent tileset. Thanks to Roquen the editor now properly allows tilesets to be set to diffrent levels, instead of the same tileset every level.

The name of the runes appear as a bubble when move your cursor over them.

When you view your status or examine an item the background is transparent. Roquen fixed a bug where custom sounds didn't play for custom attacks. For example "backstab" plays the backstab.wav All weapons have new attacks and abilities.

The character sheet is a work in progress still, however you can see the 2 daggers equipped how it looks. The same view will appear with armor. I'm still debating on what to do about the "head" as I have several graphics, so the character's are headless right now.

I need to rescale the portrait a little more, however when you take damage the portrait flashes red and the number appears.

Vampire attacking in a diffrent tileset.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Indeed DMjava! i believe that if you just manage to place the fights and puzzles right then THIS WILL BE BY FAR THE BEST DUNGEON MADE SO FAR!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Certainly from previous talks with BP, I'm liking the fact that alot of the engine niggles with DMJ are his engine niggles aswell, so I hope that between the tweaked engine and the depth of this dungeon, we will see the Conflux or Surgical Strike of the DMJ engine!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Then only DSB will be left to see it's own...

Actually DMjava already has: the dungeon made by alandale himself is at least as good as the original, but this will be by far the better however.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Thank you guys for the positive comments :) I really hope this game is something everyone can enjoy. I also hope you guys will test and give feedback on what you like and don't like, when I release a small demo of the game at some point (hopefully in a 2-4 weeks).

Some additonal things that the dungeon has or will have is;

- All bosses have animation.
Spoiler
In example: You walk into a room and see a naked woman sitting there. She transforms (animated gif) into a succubus).
- All boss battle are unique and are more than your average hack-n-slash battles.

- Almost all dialogue in the game will have voice acting as well as text.

- Dialogue System between characters, which will effects disposition with them.

- Shop System
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

However, what you said below the spoiler... well you know this game is not K15-K20 nor anything like that. Some youngsters play this too. I ask for a bit censoring!
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I will release an edited version and a non-edited version when I release the final game, so each person can choose the appropriate one they want. The edited version will have all nudity removed and be cleaned up a bit.
The non-edited version will have no filters.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Great stuff. Just don't set a release date!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Thanks BP for the edited version.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

hey cool. Will definitely try it out.

make sure you add some installation guide to get dm java running .
I myself would have some trouble getting it to work in an instant. Just a thought.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I know the nudity that BP speaks of and it's really not something to get too worked up about: very low resolution.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Damn :(