recreate therons/nexus

Custom dungeons for DM/CSB/DM2 on PC, Amiga, Atari ST and any other platforms.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sucinum
Pal Master

recreate therons/nexus

Post by sucinum »

any1 ever tried this? maps of therons quest are present, but i dunno how to simulate the loss of items/exp after any minidungeon. maybe still better than emulating it (if any possible).
i dont know too much about nexus, but maybe its also possible to recreate it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: recreate therons/nexus

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, there's not a lot of point really.... Theron's Quest is a cut down version of certain parts of DM and CSB combined. There isn't much there to interest seasoned players.

Despite Nexus being in 3D and much more ornate in it's design, the maps are still basically the same game as DM. I would see little point in trying to convert it back into the original engine again!

I do wonder about this a lot - so many people seem keen to 'recreate' various maps, whether it's CSB or DM2 or whatever. There's no creativity in that! Why can't people put their efforts into creating something original?
Zyx
DSA Master

Recreating...

Post by Zyx »

Maybe they want to find a lost feeling, the nostalgia, before trying any new but untried game. DM and its maps proved to be fun. Wait! Weren´t you working on some hardened version of DM ? :-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Recreating...

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, that's not me... I'm the one who's developing the new DM website.... ;)
Last edited by Gambit37 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyx
DSA Master

Oooops!

Post by Zyx »

Oooops, sorry, I completely mixed up my memories!
Toni Y
Adept

Re: recreate therons/nexus

Post by Toni Y »

*continues to dig up old threads... Well, move them up half a page atleast :P*
Gambit37 wrote: I do wonder about this a lot - so many people seem keen to 'recreate' various maps, whether it's CSB or DM2 or whatever. There's no creativity in that! Why can't people put their efforts into creating something original?
Au contraire. You need technical creativity, especially if you need to do effects that are not supported directly by the engine or don't have working examples. It is also a very educational experience. From my work on DM2 dungeon recreation I learned a lot of implementing complex reaction chains and continuous effects. Some of which got used in Return of Chaos, and more advanced versions (which used less teleporters ;)) in the dungeon I never got around to finish...

I also started it as an experiment to see if it can be done. I was quite surprised at how complete my version ultimately was. (And how small DM2 really is...)
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, OK, there is creativity there -- I just think that new, original works are always inherently more creative than anything that tries to recreate something.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

dm2 was a marvel of creativity and pushing the design of a dungeon, especially as you were one of the first people to release complex dungeons using dmute, right?

great to see you back in the forums : )

but otherwis,e i go with gambit's point - while it's nice to see the recreations, it is just usually seeing how cleverly it can be ported