Real Shield Blocking

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Real Shield Blocking

Post by Soaponarope »

I'm working on a dungeon for RTC, so far it's going well and I have been figuring everything out, though I'm starting to run into limitations it seems. One question I have is if it is possible to make the "block" attack method on shields, actually block the attack when timed to the monster's attack.

Right now all it does is a really pointless attack, and if actually blocking can't be done, I would like to have it give a large defense bonus when the ability is used.

I was thinking that the boost character by object could be used for a defense bonus, but if I boosted the shield by it's own defense bonus (so that the defense was doubled), wouldn't this be permanant, and not just for the block?

I am new to this, and this is probably over my head, or even impossible with engine limitations, but feedback is much appreciated.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Real Shield Blocking

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm.... I haven't tried anything like this so I'm not really able to offer advice. I think you may have reached a limit of what's possible with the current engine. Beowuuf or Lord Bones might know better.

Welcome to our little forum by the way :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

How did GG code the block action? I imagine it does something as opposed the the original.

I'm afraid I can't think of an easy option for blocking the monster's attack. The complex method I would attempt would be to clone the possible attacks (there are actually only seven standard ones) and instead place a intermediate set of steps (like a usually on counter that activates the actions). You could have your block temporarily decrement this counter so it would not activate

Well, something like that. Sounds a little complex but you could perhaps do something relatively achieveable as long as you didn't need to block many of the special attacks of creatures.

And yes, welcome!
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Thank you both for the welcome.

As far as I can tell GG's code of the block action just makes it do a very weak attack.

Your suggestion sounds like it should work, I'll see if it's worth figuring all that out.

Not many players are going to have a shield in thier main hand after all, so my efforts are probably better spent on my puzzles. Just an idea I had.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

That is certainly pssible. Make the "block" attack to convert it into another similar shield with greater defense bonus, but also give it a short lifetime, 15 tics for example, and make it to be converted back into normal shield when the "expire" event happeans.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That sounds liek the way to go to me! Nice.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

eevil converters !!
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

I just tried this and it works quite well. Thank you, this is a good solution because now that I think about it shields completely blocking attacks could be quite overpowered.

Only thing is I must make a new attack method and alternate item for every new item, and I have a large selection, especially since I wanted to do something similar with weapon parry.

So what I'm doing is limiting block and parry attack to certain equipment and using this for special attacks found on select items like this...

A holy shield that looks like a small shield at first, but if the character has enough priest levels, you can activate it, making the cross emblem glow(changing it to a neta shield) for the duration of the attack. It will give a huge defense bonus but prevent you from attacking, making it a good strategic option with some of the hard hitting monsters in my dungeon.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Soaponarope: Welcome. I'm the infamous "Lord_BoNes" that Gambit has mentioned here and there. My honest suggestion here would be to up the defense as you thought, and give each shield a bonus to luck, make them active when weilded in either hand. As far as I can tell, the luck value effects your chance to hit (you can sit behind your shield plotting the perfect critical-hit) and it also decreases enemy chance to hit and/or critical-hit (they smack the shield instead)...

For your neta-shield, give the "normal version" a unique attack-method that requires a certain priest level (make sure that there is another attack method available, a bug makes at least 1 attack-method visible at all times, if the item has ANY). Just make the attack method swap the "normal" shield out for the "cool version", give the "cool" shield a lifetime, and make it turn into the "normal" shield on expire. Then just make sure the "cool" version, has the "super cool" stats to match :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

That is exactly what I did, though I didn't add in a luck bonus. That is a interesting idea I think I will add in. :)